Author Topic: #1 overall pick for Howard?  (Read 12216 times)

Re: #1 overall pick for Howard?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Magic would want more than the number 1 overall pick... Howard is worth way more than that. Why trade a superstar franchise player straight up for an unproven pick with potential?

"My thinking is that if it could put the team in contention, then yes.  How can you turn down a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?  Of course, this would be conditional on Dwight signing a long term extension."

I guess I'll ask you this.. how can you trade a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?

Dwight Howard for a #1 overall draft pick is about as awesome a centerpiece as you're going to get as far as deals go. Yeah, maybe you could swing another 1st or somethign down the road, but its cheap talent that will develop while you less desirable contracts run out (Turkoglu 3 yrs, Glen Davis 3, J-Rich 3).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Yeah, I think you are on the right track. The main problem is Dwight Howard's willingness to re-sign with those lottery teams. I think Brooklyn is the only squad he green-lights a trade with.

What about Cleveland with Kyrie Irving, Varejao, Tristan Thompson (either as a player or as an asset who can be moved for a good player) and still additional cap space?  They could go after Eric Gordon or perhaps split up that cap space and sign 2 of Ray Allen, OJ Mayo, Batum, Ilyasova, Ryan Anderson?  Was Jamison happy enough there to come back cheap?

What about Minnesota and Portland, even though they are longer shots of landing the pick?
No, I don't think any of those are good enough to tempt Dwight.

Brooklyn has NYC and Deron Williams.

Top stars like Dwight Howard don't go and play with youngsters. They go and play with the established stars who has a long track record of success and is a proven playoff performer.

Deron Williams has the cachet that none of those other guys have. He has been a 20/10 threat for the past five years. Is proven playoff performer who has raised his game in the post-season. Led his team to four playoff trips including a Conference Finals appearance. Three time All-Star (who deserved more) and two time All-League (who deserved more) and a teammate of Dwight Howard's on Team USA. Deron Williams has a level of established excellence that none of those other big names offer.

Plus, Deron Williams is a point guard who gives Dwight that inside-outside threat that works so well, offers that dribble penetration that Howard's teams have lacked over the past few years and is an excellent overall complement to Dwight Howard's game + is a high assist player who has a rep for creating easy shots for his teammates + isn't a big enough name to overshadow Dwight (which seems to be a bonus for Dwight). 

Kyrie Irving is a very good young player and a RoY but he has nowhere near the track record of Deron Williams at this early stage in his career. LaMarcus Aldridge just made his first All-Star game and saw his team flame out under his watch (as a recently appointed franchise guy). Kevin Love is a genuine force and carries a lot of respect after his performances these past two seasons. Still, not as much as Deron Williams and is a fellow big man and not a creative point guard.   

Plus, Minnesota is the Siberia of the NBA landscape (most difficult place to tempt FAs to go to) with a questionable front office and ownership. Portland is a small-market that has a reputation for hurting player's endorsement revenues and an owner with a rep for interfering in basketball matters and hurting his team (and has just gone through 3 GMs in two years and recently fired his top notch Head Coach). Cleveland is also one of the least attractive cities in the NBA and most recently failed to win a title with LeBron James (the player who many argue is the best in the league and has been for the past 4 years).

Now, maybe if those teams had a stronger front office and ownership (say San Antonio) or if they had a history of winning titles, things could be different. But they don't ... and they aren't.

In summary, none of those offers are comparable to New Jersey chiefly because of Deron Williams (as star player and side-kick / complement to Dwight's interior game) and, to a lesser degree, the lure of NYC relative to those other markets (some of the least attractive markets in the league -- all of which matters to Dwight Howard). 

------------------------------------------

For any of those other teams to get in the mix for Dwight Howard, it would require a major addition prior to his arrival to convince him to commit to a contract extension.

Like you mentioned in your post - if Cleveland signed someone like Eric Gordon, that would be a difference maker. That could make Dwight Howard reconsider the Cavs. But that has to happen PRIOR to Dwight Howard joining to get him to commit to a contract extension.

Sort of like Ray Allen coming to Boston before KG was truly convinced this was the place to be.

Otherwise, they are trading Anthony Davis for a 12 month rental of Dwight Howard with no guarantee that he sticks around beyond that ... which nobody will do because Anthony Davis is too good to take that risk.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
I think Howard might sign an extension in Minnesota to play with Love and Rubio.  Pretty solid base and they have decent wings as well.

Kyrie Irving has a lot of cred for a rookie.  He isn't Deron Williams, but he has a lot of cred.  There is also, if I go to Cleveland and win when Lebron couldn't I will be worshipped for the rest of my life and will significantly elevate my place in history.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 05:38:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

You really see Dwight Howard signing long-term with a team like the Bobcats or Kings? 

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with. 

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.

No, I wouldn't.

But the one thing I would do - especially if Rondo decides to mail another one in tomorrow night - is call Charlotte or whomever and offer them Rondo and the two number ones (and future considerations named Jeff Green) for the top pick.

Anthony Davis is a franchise-changer defensively. We can find a point guard who will attack regularly somewhere.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

You really see Dwight Howard signing long-term with a team like the Bobcats or Kings? 

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with. 

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.

No, I wouldn't.

But the one thing I would do - especially if Rondo decides to mail another one in tomorrow night - is call Charlotte or whomever and offer them Rondo and the two number ones (and future considerations named Jeff Green) for the top pick.

Anthony Davis is a franchise-changer defensively. We can find a point guard who will attack regularly somewhere.

I don't think Rondo mailed it in in game six and I don't think he'll mail it in tonight. 

Up until that one game, Rondo was playing like one of the top MVPs of the entire playoffs.  It seems to me that you were just sitting there waiting for any moment of vulnerability to pounce on the best point guard in the playoffs.

Shame on you. 

Let's go get 'em in game seven, Rajon!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 11:12:30 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with.  

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.

No, I wouldn't.

I don't think Rondo mailed it in in game six and I don't think he'll mail it in tonight.  

Up until that one game, Rondo was playing like one of the top MVPs of the entire playoffs.  It seems to me that you were just sitting there waiting for any moment of vulnerability to pounce on the best point guard in the playoffs.

Shame on you.  

There isn't a thing in this post I agree with, particularly the notion that Rondo was playing like a playoff MVP.

And Hubie Brown and Magic Johnson think he mailed it in. You suppose Pierce slapped him on the back of the head on the bench because he loves Rondo unconditionally? I rather doubt it. I suppose shame on them, as well.

If nothing else, the undying blind loyalty of some of you on this blog to a player who simply isn't getting the job done is admirable.

Me, I worry about wins and losses. I don't worship individual players. Never have, never will. That's not what basketball is about.

But thanks for the laugh. Holliday and Lou Williams say hi, also.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with.  

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.

No, I wouldn't.

Up until that one game, Rondo was playing like one of the top MVPs of the entire playoffs.  It seems to me that you were just sitting there waiting for any moment of vulnerability to pounce on the best point guard in the playoffs.

Shame on you.  

There isn't a thing in this post I agree with, particularly the notion that Rondo was playing like a playoff MVP.

And Hubie Brown and Magic Johnson think he mailed it in. You suppose Pierce slapped him on the back of the head on the bench because he loves Rondo unconditionally? I rather doubt it. I suppose shame on them, as well.

If nothing else, the undying blind loyalty of some of you on this blog to a player who simply isn't getting the job done is admirable.

Me, I worry about wins and losses. I don't worship individual players. Never have, never will. That's not what basketball is about.

But thanks for the laugh. Holliday and Lou Williams say hi, also.

I worry about wins and losses as well.  You may not worship individual players, but you sure are willing to throw an individual player under the bus for a poor over all team performance. 

I know you probably don't like looking at statistics, and I know that sometimes they lie, but Rondo's numbers haven't only been good over the course of the playoffs, but they've also been remarkably consistent.  Say what you want, but you don't average 15 ppg, 12.5 apg, 6.5 rpg, more than 2 spg, with a field goal percentage above .450, and an assist to turnover ratio of 3.8 without playing some very, very good basketball. 

And, the fact that you have one bad game out of eleven doesn't mean that you all of a sudden decided to mail it in.  If you want, I can show you some poor performances by some other elite NBA players during this post season, as well. 

Call me what you will; a "fan boy" or a "blind Rondo follower."  It's no skin off my nose.  You can also cherry pick a couple of comments by Hubie Brown and Magic Johnson to help prove your point that Rondo gives inconsistent effort, but if you've been listening to the talking heads on TV (which you obviously have), you'll find more comments calling Rondo one of the best, if not the best, point guard in the league.  Of course, we all know that the media is fickle and that they'll pounce on a bad performance.  If he shows up big tonight, they'll all be singing a different tune again, and Magic will be back to calling Rondo "the best PG in the NBA."

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: One more quick thing
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.

Bynum is made of glass. Orlando would be crazy to do that deal. They would be better off trading him to the heat for Bosh.

Re: One more quick thing
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.

Bynum is made of glass. Orlando would be crazy to do that deal. They would be better off trading him to the heat for Bosh.

Somebody, maybe Who, brought up earlier the good point that there really should be no desire for Orlando to acquire a win-now type player.  If they can't win now with Dwight, there's no way any acquirable player will help them win now.  They have too many bad contracts their committed to for the next few years.  It makes a lot of sense to get much younger players and have them develop while these contracts run out into players that are ready to contribute when Orlando's payroll finally gets some flexibility.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610

No, I wouldn't.

That's an awfully bold idea.  Davis could be a franchise-changer like Rose, Irving, and Durant have been.  He could also be a Michael Beasley, a Darko Milicic, or an Eddy Curry.  Or a luke warm one like John Wall.

While those are mostly examples of the polar bests and worsts of highly touted prospects, what could be a very realistic comparison is that he could become a Tyson Chandler. 

I'm not saying it would be a bad trade necessarily, but not assuredly a good one either.  It would definitely be a bold trade.  And its one I don't think Charlotte would have any interest in.  The only talent on their roster is at the guard spot and they have no front court, so I don't see why they would want to do this kind of trade.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I disagree. I don't think Orlando is that high on that NJ offer. I think they'd prefer to deal with the Lakers and bring back Andrew Bynum instead of Brook Lopez.

So I think they'll need to deal Anthony Davis in that scenario.

Orlando has enough leverage to make that happen.
I agree.  I think it has to be Davis for Orlando to move him to Brooklyn.  I also think New Jersey probably keeps Lopez and Humphries in that situation to get a nice 3 man rotation at the PF/C spot.  With Wallace at the 3 and Williams at the 1, that team is a clear title contender.  Orlando would probably hold out for more than just Davis, maybe Brooks and a future pick or two, but I think that is the best deal they are going to get for Howard, so they have to do it.

You're both technically right, but you're both basically wrong.  Obviously the Magic would prefer Andrew Bynum.  Here's the issue... supposedly the Magic got fed up with this noise and told Dwight they were going to trade him to LA right before the deadline.  Supposedly Dwight finally balked and decided to opt in for his final year.  Dwight supposedly didn't want to play for the Lakers.  That's how it was reported, at least.  Strange, but apparently true... Dwight had really soured on playing for the Lakers.  I honestly think that's why the Lakers were considering trading Pau Gasol for Rondo... they saw it as a way to convince Dwight to sign an extension.  Eventually they rejected Boston's offer.  Fact is, if Dwight is unwilling to sign an extension, the Lakers aren't going to give up Bynum for a 1 year rental.  Yes, the Magic have leverage... but if the only team Dwight is interested in extending with is Brooklyn... that leverage doesn't amount to much.

Some crazy GM like Danny Ainge might offer ROndo and two first rounders WITHOUT an extension locked up... but if you're the Lakers would you really give up Andrew Bynum if you're only guaranteed Dwight for a season?   Keep in mind that Dwight is coming off surgery and Bynum just finished off an all-NBA season where he was just slightly worse than Dwight.  Bynum is also two years younger than Dwight.

The one side note to that... I think Bynum is only signed through next season as well.  Maybe it's a rental for a rental if they can't lock Bynum up to an extension... but then the question becomes... why would Orlando trade Dwight for a 1 year Andrew Bynum rental when they could trade Dwight for a pu pu platter of locked-in Brooklyn players?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:55:01 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
 Fact is, if Dwight is unwilling to sign an extension, the Lakers aren't going to give up Bynum for a 1 year rental.

Sure they will.

This is the Los Angeles Lakers we are talking about. Not the Minnesota Timberwolves or the Cleveland Cavaliers or some other Micky Mouse organization.

This is a Championship caliber organization. One of the two most storied franchises in the NBA. A five time Champion in the last dozen years. A superstar in Kobe Bryant. A third star in Pau or whoever they trade Pau for. And it's all in California, in Los Angeles, a spectacular city with beautiful tropical weather. All the trappings of Hollywood and all the business and endorsement opportunities that come with it (which Dwight Howard has said he is interested in).

The Lakers will have absolutely no problem talking Dwight Howard around and convincing him to stay. They are one of the few teams that will take a Dwight Howard on a rental because they can be very confident (and realistically confident in their case unlike some other teams) in their ability to get Dwight Howard to sign an extension at a later date.

It may not be Dwight Howard's first preference but the Lakers will have no problem convincing him to stick around once he is out there and has been part of that team / organization.

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
i dont think dwights getting traded. i think they would rather roll the dice and try to get to the finals again one more time with him than get garbage like brook lopez

Brook Lopez is not garbage...He's just on a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty team. If he was on the Celtics, he'd average over 14 Rebounds, and 20 points a game.
 No Swearing

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
LEts trade Hollins for Howard... they both are 7 ft and their last names both begin with an "H"  ;D

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
LEts trade Hollins for Howard... they both are 7 ft and their last names both begin with an "H"  ;D

Follow it up with the win-win Bass-4-Bosh move. No-brainer.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner