Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony is Washed Up  (Read 31713 times)

Re: Carmelo Anthony is Washed Up
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Said it before nd I'll say it again 20,000 point scorer wit no accolades or rings he's gettin close to Vince Carter status

Basically thats Kobe if he didn't have Shaq, or the twin towers in Bynum and Gasol

Yeh but he did and does. As much as a dislike the lakers, Kobe is much much better than anthony ever was or will be

I wanna agree but I feel Carmelo's teammates were no where near as good as Kobe's... like that 3 yr span where Kobe didnt have Shaq or Gasol. He never passed the 1st round of the playoffs and missed the playoffs one of those years. Vince Carter, Carmelo, and Kobe would all be in the same boat if Kobe didn't have 7 ft giants win titles for him

well...yes. without good teammates kobe would have won squat. but by the same token, look at pierce without kg and allen.

your point is interesting correct, but it can also be said about any other player.

bird without parish and mchale = 0 championships

michael jordan without pippen = 0 championships

and so on.

but just to keep this thread on track, carmelo is a fantastic scorer. but not at kobe's level. carmelo's major flaw, in my mind, is his inability to see beyond himself on the court.

carmelo is about carmelo and he wont play well in a system that isnt about him first, second, and third.

pierce, allen, and kg all gave up their individual games to be a team. carmelo? i dont think so.

Very true I totally agree you can't win without talent
But my point is that Kobe had a reasonable team. Smush Parker, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, Vuja-Snitch, Caron Butler
If Kobe was as great as people say he his, he could at least have lead that team past the 1st round at least once
To me he's in the same boat as Vince Carter and Carmelo
thats reasonable to you in the WESTERN CONFERENCE in the mid 2000's? rofl plus Caron Butler was traded for Kwame Brown so replace him wit Devean George only Lebron has carried a team full of mediocre players past the 1st round

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Said it before nd I'll say it again 20,000 point scorer wit no accolades or rings he's gettin close to Vince Carter status

Basically thats Kobe if he didn't have Shaq, or the twin towers in Bynum and Gasol

Yeh but he did and does. As much as a dislike the lakers, Kobe is much much better than anthony ever was or will be

I wanna agree but I feel Carmelo's teammates were no where near as good as Kobe's... like that 3 yr span where Kobe didnt have Shaq or Gasol. He never passed the 1st round of the playoffs and missed the playoffs one of those years. Vince Carter, Carmelo, and Kobe would all be in the same boat if Kobe didn't have 7 ft giants win titles for him

well...yes. without good teammates kobe would have won squat. but by the same token, look at pierce without kg and allen.

your point is interesting correct, but it can also be said about any other player.

bird without parish and mchale = 0 championships

michael jordan without pippen = 0 championships

and so on.

but just to keep this thread on track, carmelo is a fantastic scorer. but not at kobe's level. carmelo's major flaw, in my mind, is his inability to see beyond himself on the court.

carmelo is about carmelo and he wont play well in a system that isnt about him first, second, and third.

pierce, allen, and kg all gave up their individual games to be a team. carmelo? i dont think so.

But my point is that Kobe had a reasonable team. Smush Parker, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, Vuja-Snitch, Caron Butler
If Kobe was as great as people say he his, he could at least have lead that team past the 1st round at least once
thats reasonable to you in the WESTERN CONFERENCE in the mid 2000's? rofl plus Caron Butler was traded for Kwame Brown so replace him wit Devean George only Lebron has carried a team full of mediocre players past the 1st round

If Kobe is a supposed ALL TIME GREAT (regarded as Top 10 or Top 15 by the media), then getting that team past the first round shouldn't be laughable

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
But my point is that Kobe had a reasonable team, post-Shaq, pre-Gasol
Smush Parker, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, Vuja-Snitch, Caron Butler, a young Bynum

If Kobe is a supposed ALL TIME GREAT (regarded as Top 10 or Top 15 by the media), then getting that team past the first round shouldn't be laughable

Are you serious with this? I can't tell if you're trolling or not.

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
Smush Parker, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom, Vuja-Snitch, Caron Butler, a young Bynum

Iverson went to the Finals with lesser talent. Name a person on his 2001 team a good as Lamar Odom
Iverson led his team farther but yet he's labeled as a "cancer", while Kobe is praised
Are you sure you're not the troll?

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I still have him as a top 10-15 guy. He's as good as anyone on offense and I don't see any problems with his weight or killer instinct. Blake Griffin is the guy that's most overrated for me this year (great numbers but he doesn't involve other guys much and doesn't impact the game in as many areas as other Top 30 players). Andre Iguodala has been underrated this year.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Iverson went to the Finals with lesser talent. Name a person on his 2001 team a good as Lamar Odom
Iverson led his team farther but yet he's labeled as a "cancer", while Kobe is praised

There isn't a real comparison between Kobe and Iverson, I can list at least six reasons why not.

And official warning: stop calling each other trolls.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

There isn't a real comparison between Kobe and Iverson, I can list at least six reasons why not.

Iverson went to the finals with arguably the best defensive center of that era to cover for his defensive disregard.  One of the best rebounding 4s in the league that season.  Arguably the best coach of that era.  Not to mention an entire roster custom made for his talent....Which was gunning on one end and cheating the passing lanes defensively. 

There isn't a real comparison between Kobe and Iverson.  One was consumed with stats and himself.  The other is consumed with winning.

To put Kobe in the same boat as the snitchster and tank Carter is absurd.

I wouldn't call the snitchster washed up.  I'd call him overrated.  Like Iverson, another enormous talent reeking of narcissism.

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Iverson went to the finals with arguably the best defensive center of that era to cover for his defensive disregard.  One of the best rebounding 4s in the league that season.  Arguably the best coach of that era.  Not to mention an entire roster custom made for his talent....Which was gunning on one end and cheating the passing lanes defensively. 

There isn't a real comparison between Kobe and Iverson.  One was consumed with stats and himself.  The other is consumed with winning.

I wouldn't call the snitchster washed up.  I'd call him overrated.  Like Iverson, another enormous talent reeking of narcissism.

I don't think you're going to get far arguing Iverson's supporting cast propping him up, Iverson, that year in the league and couple others, was one of the most fun to watch, and easily the toughest player I've ever seen play basketball with my eyes. What he did in one year was hands down amazing.

But, Jason Kidd brought multiple teams to the finals as well, so has LeBron, and Dwights got one on his resume too.

Kobe however has the career and body of work to squander any debate in comparison to those guys.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell

Iverson went to the finals with arguably the best defensive center of that era to cover for his defensive disregard.  One of the best rebounding 4s in the league that season.  Arguably the best coach of that era.  Not to mention an entire roster custom made for his talent....Which was gunning on one end and cheating the passing lanes defensively.  

There isn't a real comparison between Kobe and Iverson.  One was consumed with stats and himself.  The other is consumed with winning.

I wouldn't call the snitchster washed up.  I'd call him overrated.  Like Iverson, another enormous talent reeking of narcissism.

Notice the theme.. none of Iveron's teammates were offensively talented (not saying they coudn't score at all), he had no real second scorer and lead his team to the Finals

And to say Kobe is not obcessed with him self is laughable. Do we forget the times when he ball hogged when Shaq was on the team? He's a perrenial leader in shot attempts almost every season. Kobe said himself he wants to be the NBA all-time leading scorer. And he's stopping at nothing to achieve that. Sounds just like a team player

I'm not saying Kobe should have won the title with that team.
But he most definately should have pasted the first round with that team at least once in those 3 years, if he's supposed to be regarded as a top 15 all time player. Look at his Final performances. He wasn't the best player on his team in the first 3 titles he won, and in the last two Gasol was the most efficient Laker, along with Bynum in the 2010 Final. But yet Kobe gets the accolades. I'm not doubting his scoring prowess, but him, Carter, Iverson, and Carmelo are all in the same boat to me. Not to mention Carmelo and Iverson are more clutch IMO
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:15:58 PM by OsirusCeltics »

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »

Offline jax_celtsfan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Has anyone brought up the fact that Kobe is an elite defensive player? That alone separates him from Vince Carter, Carmelo and Iverson.

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Dude's in a scoring slump. The player that's really washed up is Amare.

Yeah Amare has looked quite bad in the games I've seen him in. Hope that uninsured contract doesn't come back to bite them. Little lift. Not enough explosiveness and too much posturing. And don't get me started on that raggedy beard. 
I wouldn't call Carmelo washed up either. I think he's still having trouble fitting in. Under Woodson he might be better off. That Atlanta iso offense is perfect for him.

Last year before melo came along Amare was absolutley KILLING it in NY. The guy was putting up sick numbers. They should of focused on building around him and getting a better PG and then a good defending centre (which they now have)

Instead they cleared the locker room to get an over paid "superstar" player.

If Gallo didnt have terrible luck this season with injuries I think Denver would of come out of that trade with a BIG smile on their faces.

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think Melo is washed up. He has all the same ability he ever had. He has never been efficient and continues to like bad shots. He is a guy who can impress more with moves than with productivity.

His raw numbers are down with Woodson because the starters are playing less minutes in the blowouts.

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Carmello is Paul Pierce pre-Doc Rivers.

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Pierce is a clear model for Carmelo to build on. But I'm not sure I see it; I always thought Pierce was pretty good about trying to get other people involved, but the results didn't really show  b/c of a poor supporting cast. 

Melo wants to win, I don't see him as a player who is actively selfish. But I don't think he's nearly the team player Pierce is, and I'm not sure he can learn to be.

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Pierce was a more advanced perimeter player than Anthony is.  Anthony's bigger though, making him more unstoppable from the mid-post and in.

Otherwise, I agree.  I think Doc Rivers could get a lot out of Melo: sell him on getting rid of some of his bad habits as he did with Pierce.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri