Author Topic: How the Celtics can get Austin Rivers  (Read 17910 times)

How the Celtics can get Austin Rivers
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
So austin rivers will enter the NBA draft. There are ways for the celtics to obtain him... right now, accordign to mock drafts, he's projected to be:

3/23
11th pick: http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft
(projected above our 17th pick)

17th pick: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/
(projected right above our 18th pick)

the clippers continue to dwindle down, and our best case scenario is that they barely make the playoffs with the 8th seed.

the celtics may have to trade up somehow to get this kid. A bundle of the draft pick + decent player (bradley?) might do it? Unless he wanted to trade both 1st round picks too for the rights to austin, but that would be risky because we miss out on 2 1st rounders in a loaded draft.  

Re: How the Celtics can get Austin Rivers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Really hope the C's don't draft Austin Rivers. Doc will lose his locker room once a veteran thinks he is favoring his son over more experienced players. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Besides if a talented big or SF is on the board, I would go that way. I know, I know. This team needs BPA but they don't need a PG or backup PG and they shouldn't draft Rivers.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Nick, I couldn't agree more!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Really hope the C's don't draft Austin Rivers. Doc will lose his locker room once a veteran thinks he is favoring his son over more experienced players. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Besides if a talented big or SF is on the board, I would go that way. I know, I know. This team needs BPA but they don't need a PG or backup PG and they shouldn't draft Rivers.
austin is not a point guard, an he will never be a point guard. hes a pure shooting guard at 6'4, the same height as d-wade and most other shooting guards.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Austin Rivers is not good enough to trade up for.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
That father - son relationship in the same team, im having not good thoughts about it. Just me.

Austin has the talent and potential to become a great NBA player. I just don't like the idea, like Nick said, of a father - son duo in the locker room.

Whoever is the BPA when its our turn to pick, that should be the pick is. Other than PG this team could use pretty much anyone in any spots.

And to be honest, if they go to the draft, I prefer Tony Wroten or Terrence Ross as our 2 guard of the future. I just think they have the better tools, in an athleticism standpoint to be a better defender. They're not as good as a scorer as Austin is, but I believe they'll be better all around players.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
That father - son relationship in the same team, im having not good thoughts about it. Just me.

Austin has the talent and potential to become a great NBA player. I just don't like the idea, like Nick said, of a father - son duo in the locker room.

Whoever is the BPA when its our turn to pick, that should be the pick is. Other than PG this team could use pretty much anyone in any spots.

And to be honest, if they go to the draft, I prefer Tony Wroten or Terrence Ross as our 2 guard of the future. I just think they have the better tools, in an athleticism standpoint to be a better defender. They're not as good as a scorer as Austin is, but I believe they'll be better all around players.

Wroten is a point guard, and Rivers is a better shooter but Wroten is a better scorer.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
After watching Austin Rivers in the college post season games this year, I was left very unimpressed.

He doesn't have PG skills even at the college level so how is he supposed to play point in the League?  
He does not have elite NBA athleticism.
His handle is weak.

Basically he can shoot and occasionally score one-on-one against inferior defenders - these are his skills.

In short, if he comes out this year in a stacked draft it will be a mistake.  Another year in school would do him good.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »

Offline clawlin

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I've been very conflicted thinking about Austin Rivers as a fit for the C's... he currently does not hold the best reputation as a team player and has often been a streaky shooter.  However, he has the confidence to take the last shot and be "the guy" on any given night.  His confidence is a great asset, but he needs to be on a veteran team in order to keep his ego in check.  Imagine him on the Wizards, Warriors, or Kings.  That, to me, would spell disaster.  However, surrounded with veteran players and a veteran coach, he could thrive, and still be given his opportunities on an aging team looking to rebuild soon.

The Austin/Doc combo gives many people pause, and I absolutely understand why.  It would given them a multiplex relationship, which could cause conflict even beyond the court.  However, I think it may be a chance for both to grow.  With Doc as his father, Austin already sees his dad as an authority figure, and Doc may be able to control him in ways other coaches would not.  Doc could make him understand that he is trying to fit into a contender, but he will have his opportunities.  For Doc, it would help to give him a transition into the future.  He is known for being hesitant about playing rookies.  However, we have seen Doc watch Austin at Duke, the look on Doc's face after Austin's game winning shot against UNC cannot be paralleled.  Thus, he would most certainly give Austin a chance.  If they are able to be player-coach on the floor and father-son off of it, it will translate to wins.  That is a big "if," though.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
I just saw that CBS says its official he's coming out...big mistake IMO.  It's not like he needs the money right now.  He would have benefited playing another year at Duke.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
This team needs BPA but they don't need a PG or backup PG and they shouldn't draft Rivers.

If Rivers is outside of the top 10 then he will be the BPA. Davis,Drummond,Robinson,Sullinger, Barnes, and Gilcrest are the top 6 players with Davis as a head and shoulders above #1. After that there is a solid group of 2nd level prospects who would probably be 1st level in a weaker draft. They are Jones III, Henson, J Lamb, Rivers, T Zeller, Beal,and T Jones (dont think C Zeller will come out). The only guys in that group who I personally would consider taking over Rivers would be Lamb (for his length at SG) or Zeller (for his combonation of  size and offensive ability). After that I wold say Rivers has shown more heart then Jones III and has much less of a bust potential. Henson is going to struggle with strength on the NBA. T Jones is stuck between 3/4 and will want to play 3 (next marvin williams). Lamb I like for his length and Beal for his shooting but I honestly thin Rivers is better. He isn't a PG 100% a Shooting guard and his game is made for the NBA.

Great first step

Average SG Size

Great range on the 3

Great isolation offense

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I've been very conflicted thinking about Austin Rivers as a fit for the C's... he currently does not hold the best reputation as a team player and has often been a streaky shooter.  However, he has the confidence to take the last shot and be "the guy" on any given night.  His confidence is a great asset, but he needs to be on a veteran team in order to keep his ego in check.  Imagine him on the Wizards, Warriors, or Kings.  That, to me, would spell disaster.  However, surrounded with veteran players and a veteran coach, he could thrive, and still be given his opportunities on an aging team looking to rebuild soon.

The Austin/Doc combo gives many people pause, and I absolutely understand why.  It would given them a multiplex relationship, which could cause conflict even beyond the court.  However, I think it may be a chance for both to grow.  With Doc as his father, Austin already sees his dad as an authority figure, and Doc may be able to control him in ways other coaches would not.  Doc could make him understand that he is trying to fit into a contender, but he will have his opportunities.  For Doc, it would help to give him a transition into the future.  He is known for being hesitant about playing rookies.  However, we have seen Doc watch Austin at Duke, the look on Doc's face after Austin's game winning shot against UNC cannot be paralleled.  Thus, he would most certainly give Austin a chance.  If they are able to be player-coach on the floor and father-son off of it, it will translate to wins.  That is a big "if," though.

Does anyone really think that we aren't thinking about drafting Austin at this point? The big three are likely done as a unit after this season. I could easily see the C's brass saying "well, Ray was able to get more money in LA, and we wish him the best on his shot at another title as a member of the Clippers." And then Austin sliding into that open shooting guard spot for the C's.

Why else would Doc sign a 6 year extension this past offseason, knowing the big three are leaving soon, and giving his history of not playing young players?

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Does anyone really think that we aren't thinking about drafting Austin at this point? The big three are likely done as a unit after this season. I could easily see the C's brass saying "well, Ray was able to get more money in LA, and we wish him the best on his shot at another title as a member of the Clippers." And then Austin sliding into that open shooting guard spot for the C's.

Why else would Doc sign a 6 year extension this past offseason, knowing the big three are leaving soon, and giving his history of not playing young players?

I think Doc and Danny, while certainly considering it, are dreading the possibility that Austin is on the board when they draft.  On the one hand, the talent is there, but on the other hand, that is a lot of drama that I am sure they want no part of. 

There is a chance that they would pick him, just because they can't pass up the talent.  But I don't think it is something they actually want to do.  When you have egos like there are in the NBA, having a Father coaching his son is a recipe for disaster, and they know it. 

...I also don't think Doc wants to listen to his wife asking him why he isn't playing his son more minutes every night either.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
If Austin Rivers is the BPA you take him. He is an asset. At 6'4" he is the same size as Eric Gordon and Monta Ellis.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If Austin Rivers is the BPA you take him. He is an asset. At 6'4" he is the same size as Eric Gordon and Monta Ellis.

And Dwade.