Author Topic: For Lent  (Read 14878 times)

For Lent
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Lent starts tomorrow, I've been told.  I'm not much of a religious person, and I must admit I've never observed Lent.  Still, the idea of giving up something for forty days has always seemed like an interesting challenge.

With how much of a disappointment this season has been, and with so little reason to be positive about the team recently, I briefly considered giving up posting on CelticsBlog for the next forty days.

Instead, I've had another idea -- something that perhaps, will be even more challenging.  I've decided that for the forty days of Lent I will give up being negative on these forums.  As much as the circumstances recently have called for it at times, I'm interested to see, for one, if I can muster the self-control to manage not to post negative things about the Celtics when they are in the doldrums of this sad season, and for another, how doing so might improve my overall mood.

So starting tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, through Holy Thursday, I am going to do my very best not to post anything negative on these forums.  At times when I am sorely tempted to do so, and I have nothing positive to say, I may simply post "no comment."

Are any of you giving up anything for Lent?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: For Lent
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Lent starts tomorrow, I've been told.  I'm not much of a religious person, and I must admit I've never observed Lent.  Still, the idea of giving up something for forty days has always seemed like an interesting challenge.

With how much of a disappointment this season has been, and with so little reason to be positive about the team recently, I briefly considered giving up posting on CelticsBlog for the next forty days.

Instead, I've had another idea -- something that perhaps, will be even more challenging.  I've decided that for the forty days of Lent I will give up being negative on these forums.  As much as the circumstances recently have called for it at times, I'm interested to see, for one, if I can muster the self-control to manage not to post negative things about the Celtics when they are in the doldrums of this sad season, and for another, how doing so might improve my overall mood.

So starting tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, through Holy Thursday, I am going to do my very best not to post anything negative on these forums.  At times when I am sorely tempted to do so, and I have nothing positive to say, I may simply post "no comment."

Are any of yoh giving up anything for Lent?
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I will believe it when I see it.
No offense, but honestly, you are probably the most cynical, negative, 'world is ending' regular poster on these forums.

Maybe you should try and put a positive spin on your posts for Lent, at least one in ten? Your challenge, your rules in the end.

I am not doing anything for Lent.
Good luck.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Lent starts tomorrow, I've been told.  I'm not much of a religious person, and I must admit I've never observed Lent.  Still, the idea of giving up something for forty days has always seemed like an interesting challenge.

Instead, I've had another idea -- something that perhaps, will be even more challenging.  I've decided that for the forty days of Lent I will give up being negative on these forums.  As much as the circumstances recently have called for it at times, I'm interested to see, for one, if I can muster the self-control to manage not to post negative things about the Celtics when they are in the doldrums of this sad season, and for another, how doing so might improve my overall mood.

So starting tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, through Holy Thursday, I am going to do my very best not to post anything negative on these forums.  At times when I am sorely tempted to do so, and I have nothing positive to say, I may simply post "no comment."

I will believe it when I see it.
No offense, but honestly, you are probably the most cynical, negative, 'world is ending' regular poster on these forums.

Maybe you should try and put a positive spin on your posts for Lent, at least one in ten? Your challenge, your rules in the end.

I am not doing anything for Lent.
Good luck.

I think you'll find that I'm far from the worst, chambers.  I don't even think it's fair to characterize my posts as "world is ending," in any case.  I do not pontificate about gloom and doom as if the sky is falling and it's a great shock.  This team is what it is, and there's nothing to be done about it except be honest with ourselves about it.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).

It's my understanding that Lent lasts through Holy Thursday.  That's what it says on Wikipedia, anyhow.  :P

Nobody's forcing you to read my posts any time of the year, by the way.  If you want to gloss over the posts on the forums that cover subject matter you find unpleasant, you're free to do so.

p.s. are you really going to count to 10,000 every day?

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Matthew Chapter 6:
6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

These verses lead me to try to keep secret what I give up for Lent every year.  I don't think that idea is necessarily the essence of the verses, but it's just a choice of mine.  I do it because I find people sometimes discuss what they're giving up and talking how difficult it is, when that is exactly who the verses are talking about having "already received their reward".  It's important to give up what you give up for your own self and not for others to know about or think highly of you for.

Hope that's not a thread stopper!   :-X
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Wow guys! Way to kick a guy when he is down. I for one think he should be given props for recognizing a weakness in himself and trying to do something to improve vs ripping on the guy. Even if what all of you were saying was true, it doesn't necessarily need to be said. For one it really isn't nice, and secondly I think it really would be a violation of the blogs rules. Personal insults are really never a good thing.

Keep it up Posimpos! Bettering yourself is never a bad thing. For me, I am going to give up the hope that we will actually make a trade that will blow this ship apart and allow us to rebuild...  ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Matthew Chapter 6:
6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

These verses lead me to try to keep secret what I give up for Lent every year.  I don't think that idea is necessarily the essence of the verses, but it's just a choice of mine.  I do it because I find people sometimes discuss what they're giving up and talking how difficult it is, when that is exactly who the verses are talking about having "already received their reward".  It's important to give up what you give up for your own self and not for others to know about or think highly of you for.

I think that's a valuable insight.  For me, though, I feel the need with this sort of thing to tell other people about my intentions with the hope that they will hold me accountable for it.  If I've not told other people, I won't feel as obligated to go through with it, since only I will know if I fail, instead of a wide selection of people.

That's why when I decided to train for the Boston Marathon, I told lots of people, and I continue to tell people about my efforts.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Wow guys! Way to kick a guy when he is down. I for one think he should be given props for recognizing a weakness in himself and trying to do something to improve vs ripping on the guy. Even if what all of you were saying was true, it doesn't necessarily need to be said. For one it really isn't nice, and secondly I think it really would be a violation of the blogs rules. Personal insults are really never a good thing.

Keep it up Posimpos! Bettering yourself is never a bad thing. For me, I am going to give up the hope that we will actually make a trade that will blow this ship apart and allow us to rebuild...  ;D

While I don't necessarily agree with your implication that my tendency to view the recent happenings with the team in a negative light and post about them as such is a personal weakness, I thank you for the support.

I'm endeavoring to do this less because I see it as something I need to improve in myself and more because I see it as a challenge, given the circumstances.  However, to the extent that it will force me to present my opinions in a more careful, measured way and not be so quick to post in reaction to things as they happen, it will be a good thing.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).

It's my understanding that Lent lasts through Holy Thursday.  That's what it says on Wikipedia, anyhow.  :P

Nobody's forcing you to read my posts any time of the year, by the way.  If you want to gloss over the posts on the forums that cover subject matter you find unpleasant, you're free to do so.

ha ha ha.  It is a personality flaw.  If there is nothing to read but a cereal box, I read the cereal box.  (Does that make me a serial reader? or a reader of serials? ;) )

No, I don't intend to count my steps...that is what the pedometer is for...and I am not going to beat myself up if I fall short.  But I am going to make the effort...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).

It's my understanding that Lent lasts through Holy Thursday.  That's what it says on Wikipedia, anyhow.  :P

Nobody's forcing you to read my posts any time of the year, by the way.  If you want to gloss over the posts on the forums that cover subject matter you find unpleasant, you're free to do so.

ha ha ha.  It is a personality flaw.  If there is nothing to read but a cereal box, I read the cereal box.  (Does that make me a serial reader? or a reader of serials? ;) )

No, I don't intend to count my steps...that is what the pedometer is for...and I am not going to beat myself up if I fall short.  But I am going to make the effort...

Certainly a worthy goal.  I just looked up 10,000 steps on google and supposedly it's on average about 5 miles (depending on the length of one's stride).  Walking 5 miles a day is definitely a nice challenge.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I am so tempted to give up participation in the freshly reopened current events subforum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:00:44 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Posimpos, judging by EJPLAYA'S reaction, my attempt at humor fell very flat.  If you took me seriously, I do apologize to you, I did not intend it to be hurtful in any way.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I am so tempted to give up participation in the freshly reopened current events subforum.

Yeah, I don't have much appetite for engaging in discussion with the posters on this site in the Current Events forum any time soon.  Despite the new mandate for civility laid down by the moderators, I just have very little faith that much good can come from participating over there.

@thirstyboots -- no offense taken.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Matthew Chapter 6:

I think that's a valuable insight.  For me, though, I feel the need with this sort of thing to tell other people about my intentions with the hope that they will hold me accountable for it.  If I've not told other people, I won't feel as obligated to go through with it, since only I will know if I fail, instead of a wide selection of people.

That's why when I decided to train for the Boston Marathon, I told lots of people, and I continue to tell people about my efforts.

Since you're admittedly not much of a religious person, it seems that you are doing this more of just a challenge to better yourself, so I can understand that reasoning.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur