Author Topic: For Lent  (Read 14874 times)

Re: For Lent
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Posimpos, judging by EJPLAYA'S reaction, my attempt at humor fell very flat.  If you took me seriously, I do apologize to you, I did not intend it to be hurtful in any way.

Glad to hear you were joking. I guess it was the combination of yours and chambers. I should have known. I don't think I have seen rude posts from you in the past.

Posimpos, I was speaking more in general terms stating props for recognizing a "weakness" and trying to insinuate we should all be a little nicer to each other. I agree that this team is garbage right now and don't have any problem with that thought. I don't feel it is a weakness.  It is what it is!

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:46 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Posimpos, judging by EJPLAYA'S reaction, my attempt at humor fell very flat.  If you took me seriously, I do apologize to you, I did not intend it to be hurtful in any way.

Glad to hear you were joking. I guess it was the combination of yours and chambers. I should have known. I don't think I have seen rude posts from you in the past.

Posimpos, I was speaking more in general terms stating props for recognizing a "weakness" and trying to insinuate we should all be a little nicer to each other. I agree that this team is garbage right now and don't have any problem with that thought. I don't feel it is a weakness.  It is what it is!

Indeed.  As for us all being nice to each other in these tough times (instead of being so antagonistic, which seems to be the popular response), I can definitely agree with that.

We are, after all, every one of us fans of the same team -- however we may choose to express it.  I don't think any of us would bother posting on this website if we were not very serious fans indeed.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:37 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This has nothing to do with lent, but I gave up drinking since the superbowl. Not for any particular reason, I just felt like I was drinking too much. I plan to resume in May right before BBQ season  ;D

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
I plan to give up bowling.

I can't stand bowling.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:32 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).

It's my understanding that Lent lasts through Holy Thursday.  That's what it says on Wikipedia, anyhow.  :P

Nobody's forcing you to read my posts any time of the year, by the way.  If you want to gloss over the posts on the forums that cover subject matter you find unpleasant, you're free to do so.

p.s. are you really going to count to 10,000 every day?
ha ha ha.  It is a personality flaw.  If there is nothing to read but a cereal box, I read the cereal box.  (Does that make me a serial reader? or a reader of serials? ;) )

No, I don't intend to count my steps...that is what the pedometer is for...and I am not going to beat myself up if I fall short.  But I am going to make the effort...
So far I have gone over 10,000 steps only twice (13,242 and 12,403).  Around 8,000 seems to be my consistent walking step limit...Both times when I have gone over I have danced 3+ hours instead of trying to walk it.   10,000 is, for me, a really hard goal.  ;))
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

For Lent
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »

Offline greenlion

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
this is a welcome post,refreshing to see, that despite of all our rage and frustrations on this forgettable season, something pious and noteworthy still stands out..kudos to all and goodluck to all your promises/pledges,may the season of lent typify that everything on earth is temporal, should be cherished and something to be thankful for..carpe diem..
"talent is not enough - I always admired the ones with heart..."

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039
This has nothing to do with lent, but I gave up drinking since the superbowl. Not for any particular reason, I just felt like I was drinking too much. I plan to resume in May right before BBQ season  ;D

I gave up drinking after G7 in 2010. I got twisted that night and associated beer with it (even though I drink way too often). Didn't have a beer from June 17th until October 6th (baseball playoffs). It actually changed my life. That's the only good thing that came out of G7.

As for Lent, I gave up cake and cookies and junk food. I am also trying to be abstinent (won't even clean the pipes myself). I did it once before and it was rather horrible. This is the first time since that I don't have a girlfriend so I want to see if I can do it again.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I gave up drinking after G7 in 2010. I got twisted that night and associated beer with it (even though I drink way too often). Didn't have a beer from June 17th until October 6th (baseball playoffs). It actually changed my life. That's the only good thing that came out of G7.

If it did that, then it's true about the silver lining. Good for you.

I'm afraid, however, that some people might have started drinking after that series ;)

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039

If it did that, then it's true about the silver lining. Good for you.

I'm afraid, however, that some people might have started drinking after that series ;)

Doesn't mean I wouldn't trade my old bad habits for #18 though lol. But yeah, I will never forget the next day I was walking around like a zombie in disbelief of what occurred the night before. And I suffered through the Yankees collapse in 2004, that was a cakewalk compared to 2010 for some strange reason.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Lent starts tomorrow, I've been told.  I'm not much of a religious person, and I must admit I've never observed Lent.  Still, the idea of giving up something for forty days has always seemed like an interesting challenge.

With how much of a disappointment this season has been, and with so little reason to be positive about the team recently, I briefly considered giving up posting on CelticsBlog for the next forty days.

Instead, I've had another idea -- something that perhaps, will be even more challenging.  I've decided that for the forty days of Lent I will give up being negative on these forums.  As much as the circumstances recently have called for it at times, I'm interested to see, for one, if I can muster the self-control to manage not to post negative things about the Celtics when they are in the doldrums of this sad season, and for another, how doing so might improve my overall mood.

So starting tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, through Holy Thursday, I am going to do my very best not to post anything negative on these forums.  At times when I am sorely tempted to do so, and I have nothing positive to say, I may simply post "no comment."

Are any of yoh giving up anything for Lent?
Through Holy Thursday?  Why not through Easter Sunday?

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).
wny not till Xmas
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Lent starts tomorrow, I've been told.  I'm not much of a religious person, and I must admit I've never observed Lent.  Still, the idea of giving up something for forty days has always seemed like an interesting challenge.

With how much of a disappointment this season has been, and with so little reason to be positive about the team recently, I briefly considered giving up posting on CelticsBlog for the next forty days.

Instead, I've had another idea -- something that perhaps, will be even more challenging.  I've decided that for the forty days of Lent I will give up being negative on these forums.  As much as the circumstances recently have called for it at times, I'm interested to see, for one, if I can muster the self-control to manage not to post negative things about the Celtics when they are in the doldrums of this sad season, and for another, how doing so might improve my overall mood.

So starting tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, through Holy Thursday, I am going to do my very best not to post anything negative on these forums.  At times when I am sorely tempted to do so, and I have nothing positive to say, I may simply post "no comment."

At any rate, you have inspired me to give up....reading your negative posts; if you are successful, I will be, too  ;) .(And I am going to try to walk 10,000 steps a day).
wny not till Xmas
If you are at home for Christmas, Edgar, at the rate I am walking I may be there in a year or two, or ten...ha ha ha...just call me thirstybootsGump.   ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

wny not till Xmas
If you are at home for Christmas, Edgar, at the rate I am walking I may be there in a year or two, or ten...ha ha ha...just call me thirstybootsGump.   ;)

Run TB Run

Nice to be back!

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Wow guys! Way to kick a guy when he is down. I for one think he should be given props for recognizing a weakness in himself and trying to do something to improve vs ripping on the guy. Even if what all of you were saying was true, it doesn't necessarily need to be said. For one it really isn't nice, and secondly I think it really would be a violation of the blogs rules. Personal insults are really never a good thing.

Keep it up Posimpos! Bettering yourself is never a bad thing. For me, I am going to give up the hope that we will actually make a trade that will blow this ship apart and allow us to rebuild...  ;D

Agreed. Pretty cool thing to do.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Well, maybe things will take a turn for the better for the Celts and make things easier for you.

I'm Jewish and I try to keep kosher for passover every year.  This means no bread, pasta, things with leavening etc...I make an exception for beer.   ;)

I usually eat pretty well that week.  Try to avoid matzah as much as possible because it's like cement mix in the belly.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Well, maybe things will take a turn for the better for the Celts and make things easier for you.

I'm Jewish and I try to keep kosher for passover every year.  This means no bread, pasta, things with leavening etc...I make an exception for beer.   ;)

I usually eat pretty well that week.  Try to avoid matzah as much as possible because it's like cement mix in the belly.

just like clam chowder
 ;D

Nice to be back!