Author Topic: How could Ainge not have spotted Jeremy Lin?  (Read 8249 times)

Re: How could Ainge not have spotted Jeremy Lin?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
The D'Antoni offensive system to a Point Guard is lipstick on a pig.

The run and gun, zero-accountability-for-turnovers system will allow a player like Lin to appear much better than he would be for most other teams.   

He had a 1:1 Assist to Turnover ratio last night (8 and 8.) That equals splinters in your rear end when playing for Doc.

Also, it's important to note that two of the leagues premier ball stoppers (Amar'e and Melo) basically didn't play in last night's game. Once they're back on the floor Jeremy's role and impact will significantly diminish.

With that said, it's great to see a Harvard kid and Asian American having success on the big stage.

I just don't think his success is sustainable.

Ainge didn't miss anything.
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'm pleased with our rookies.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Notice neither Art Parakhouski or Omar Samhan are on an NBA roster, despite what that article says about them as players.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
So every time a young guy on another team has a good game or two, somehow it reflects poorly on Danny as a GM?  I can't stand threads like these.  Danny isn't Nostradamus, he doesn't have infinite draft picks, and he can't invite every baller with a pulse to training camp.

Rather than focusing on who he didn't draft, focus on who he did draft.  Sure, not everyone has worked out (and who has a 100% success rate in the draft?), but I'd say Danny has drafted pretty well.  It's not like he's regularly passing over All-Stars for scrubs in the draft.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Really? after 2 games?

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
2 good games and a thread is created. wow!

Because the guy is good and has the potential to be a star.

Its difficult enough if your undrafted to even make a roster but lets give it to the kid.

He has scored 20 plus points and dished 5plus assist in the two days he was given PT. When was the last time an undrafted player has done that.

He could perhaps better Yi's carreer.  Offensively the kid has game similar to Nash..not saying he can be Nash but id be happy if finally an asian american can have a serviceable career in the league.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Really? after 2 games?

Exactly.

How many scrubs has D'Antoni's system made look legit?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
Lin was undrafted, so all 30 teams passed on him at one point in time.  I didn't see him in the NJN or UTJ games, but he did show some skills in the limited minutes he played vs BOS. 

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 83
How many scrubs has D'Antoni's system made look legit?

I do agree all the star chatter is a bit premature after 2 games.  But saying D'Antoni's system can make anyone look good?  Lin has (again in limited time/small sample size) outplayed the 3 other guys the NYK have inserted at PG this year.  So no not anybody can thrive in D's system.  Either you have it or you don't; the team, system isn't going to matter in the end.

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The short answer - Because Jeremy Lin is not that good. 

Hey I am cheering for the guy like everyone else, but watch the guy next game.  He handles the ball way too high and exposed for an NBA point guard.  Right now all he is doing it playing pick and roll and shooting open jump shots.  This will stop when teams figure out how to put pressure on Lin to force him to give up the ball or turn it over.

Lets wait 10 or so games before trading Rondo for him.

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
It is funny how people always get fooled by good games on bad teams. Remember when Bill Walker averaged 12 points a game on 52% shooting?

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Lin was undrafted, so all 30 teams passed on him at one point in time.  I didn't see him in the NJN or UTJ games, but he did show some skills in the limited minutes he played vs BOS. 

Cleveland, Charlotte, and Denver didn't draft anyone that year, so 27 teams.

Lin was a combo guard without a clear position who people didn't think could play defense and had questionable ball-handling skills.  He might not even be the best undrafted combo guard who went undrafted that year, as Manny Harris remains a guy who deserves a look.

Lin did have such a good 2010 summer league that there was actually a bidding war for his services.  One wonders what would have happened if he had gone to the Lakers or Mavericks, two teams that went after him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline southshorematt

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 46
Relax.... I've been following J Lin since his time in Golden  State last year. As much as I root for him, I fear he  will be out of the league in 2 years. I hope I'm wrong.

He needs to get better with his left hand, teams will exploit this now...

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiANpmUtXhw&feature=related

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Cleveland, Charlotte, and Denver didn't draft anyone that year, so 27 teams.

Lin was a combo guard without a clear position who people didn't think could play defense and had questionable ball-handling skills.  He might not even be the best undrafted combo guard who went undrafted that year, as Manny Harris remains a guy who deserves a look.

Lin did have such a good 2010 summer league that there was actually a bidding war for his services.  One wonders what would have happened if he had gone to the Lakers or Mavericks, two teams that went after him.
If he went undrafted that means any team could have invited him to camp or signed him, thus they all passed on him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
2 good games and a thread is created. wow!

Because the guy is good and has the potential to be a star.

Its difficult enough if your undrafted to even make a roster but lets give it to the kid.

He has scored 20 plus points and dished 5plus assist in the two days he was given PT. When was the last time an undrafted player has done that.

He could perhaps better Yi's carreer.  Offensively the kid has game similar to Nash..not saying he can be Nash but id be happy if finally an asian american can have a serviceable career in the league.

i'll reserve my judgement when the knicks face tougher opponents/guards. I've seen him play last year in GS and it wasn't pretty.