Author Topic: How could Ainge not have spotted Jeremy Lin?  (Read 8258 times)

How could Ainge not have spotted Jeremy Lin?
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:00:36 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I know he's more or less two good games in, but Jeremy Lin has obvious quickness, and point guard skills that greatly excel those of Bradley, and Moore.  Since he was only down the street at Harvard for college, how could Danny not have spotted him and at least have goven him a shot at training camp? The kid went undrafted, and although his past two games could be a fluke, even if his shots were not to go in, it's obvious he has great point guard skills - penetrating, passing, quick first step... 

http://shawnfuryan.wordpress.com/tag/undrafted/

In the 2010 NBA Draft Lin had the 12th highest PAWS40, while Avery had the 77th... The guy who wrote this article went onto say, "Still any teams that were to pick up Jeremy Lin, Artsiom Parakhouski, or Omar Samhan are likely to find that they have a more than serviceable player on their hands."

And sure, you could write it off, but in college Lin did light up U Conn and Kemba Walker for 30 points, and then after going undrafted played well against John Wall in the Summer League, and consistently lit up the D-League...  I feel like this kid would end up becoming a Tom Brady-like find... (forgotten about and barely got into the league, then just lit it up - and yes, I realise he was with the Warriors last year, but if the past two games has shown anything, it's what can happen if given significant playing time) and I just don't get how Danny just wouldn't even think of inviting him to a training camp or even drafting the kid in the 2nd round at least.

Re: How could Ainge not have spotted Jeremy Lin?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I know he's more or less two good games in, but Jeremy Lin has obvious quickness, and point guard skills that greatly excel those of Bradley, and Moore.  Since he was only down the street at Harvard for college, how could Danny not have spotted him and at least have goven him a shot at training camp? The kid went undrafted, and although his past two games could be a fluke, even if his shots were not to go in, it's obvious he has great point guard skills - penetrating, passing, quick first step... 

In the 2010 NBA Draft Lin had the 12th highest PAWS40, while Avery had the 77th... The guy who wrote this article went onto say, "Still any teams that were to pick up Jeremy Lin, Artsiom Parakhouski, or Omar Samhan are likely to find that they have a more than serviceable player on their hands."

And sure, you could write it off, but in college Lin did light up U Conn and Kemba Walker for 30 points, and then after going undrafted played well against John Wall in the Summer League, and consistently lit up the D-League...  I feel like this kid would end up becoming a Tom Brady-like find... (forgotten about and barely got into the league, then just lit it up - and yes, I realise he was with the Warriors last year, but if the past two games has shown anything, it's what can happen if given significant playing time) and I just don't get how Danny just wouldn't even think of inviting him to a training camp or even drafting the kid in the 2nd round at least.

Is there going to be a topic about every kid that has 2 great games?
He played against the Jazz and the Nets, not exactly the number one defensive teams in the NBA.
He played for Harvard, they didn't make the NCAA tourney (I think).
Why would he be looking at a small guard playing for Harvard when we have Rondo and Bradley with free agent guards available?
Etwaun had 4 years at college, at a respectable ball school.

Just coz he went to Harvard doesn't mean Danny should have seen him.
Lets see Lin vs some quality defense.
The nets and Jazz guarded a basic pick and roll like junior high schoolers. Lin was very good at picking it apart, but don't get too excited just yet.
I do hope he keeps it up though, great under dog story.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Most of the league missed him, give me a break.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:05 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I need to see at least 3 weeks of goodness before I jump on a bandwagon.  I'm sure I'll get there and write crazy stuff about how he's better than Rondo and maybe even Ainge needs to be fired and we need to offer Rondo and draft picks for him, but give me time. I haven't even finished my coffee yet.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
PLUS Ainge could've sold tickets to the Harvard crowd!   ok. I'm warming up

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  It is a whole lot easier for a guy like Lin who doesn't play much defense to get on the floor for a coach like Mike D'Antoni who seems allergic to defense then it is for a coach like Doc Rivers who insists everyone defends well before they ever see the floor.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I'm happy with what Ainge has done so far.

Jeremy Lin has found a system and a very good coach that he can thrive with.

I'm happy for the man and wish him the best - just not against BOS.

Here's hoping that Jeremy lights up the Lakers for 40 pts on Friday.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
2 good games and a thread is created. wow!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610

That is a blogger who wrote that article...

I'm sure there are millions of other bloggers who have written that "players that will be serviceable players in the NBA" who never even made a roster.  And the blogs were probably never looked back to again.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Lin looked bad in Golden State...

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Lin looked bad in Golden State...

This. He was a favorite since he was the Bay Area hometown kid. But he did not have these kind of games here. I was just a little upset that GSW didn't have much patience with him. I mean he was not as good as he is right now (two games i know), but he was selling tickets, especially from the Palo Alto and Peninsula area where he was a star in High School.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
In addition to being a poor defender, he turns the ball over a lot and is not a good outside shooter.  He has had a couple of games where he looked alright with big minutes, but I wouldn't be writing his ticket to the Hall of Fame any time soon.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Watched him up close on Friday night and he looked physically overmatched on defense.

Also, he doesnt have an outside shot. Teams will figure out how to defend his midrange game.

Finally, it is sad, but he is the best pg on that roster right now.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The last guy that I thought would not make it in the NBA was Ricky Rubio.....

Lin is an exciting story.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Whatever happened to Artsiom?  Looks like he played in Latvia for a year and won a championship there, but I've no idea where he's been since.

I wonder if he'd have had a chance over here with another try at someone's summer league and then on to a training camp.