Author Topic: Perk gets LA Times Shout-out. Mr Intangible is 31-8 with OKC  (Read 10106 times)

Re: Perk gets LA Times Shout-out. Mr Intangible is 31-8 with OKC
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 289
So OKC's record doesn't have to do with two of the best players in the nba (Durant and Westbrook) but Perk?

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
Perk currently sucks, and giving him any credit for the Thunder's success is simply foolish. Not only is Durant and Westbrook playing well, Harden has stepped up his game considerably.

And for having Ibaka and Perk together, supposedly pretty much the best 1-2 punch low post defense tandem, OKC's defense isn't that great.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
You know our team had a great record and defense with Scalabrine too. And so do the Bulls. He must be the answer.
Well played, sir.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
It says that Perk has brought a blue collar championship mentality and that's helped OKC. He's definitely been a part of their success and anyone who doesn't miss him here is crazy.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
It says that Perk has brought a blue collar championship mentality and that's helped OKC. He's definitely been a part of their success and anyone who doesn't miss him here is crazy.

Of course people miss him, but what he was and what is are different things.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Exactly. I wasnt his biggest fan when he was here, but I was somewhat concerned about how much his presence would be missed.  Now that I see what he's become after his injury...I'm beyond happy to see him somewhere else.  His play has seriously fallen since he got to OKC. 

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Exactly. I wasnt his biggest fan when he was here, but I was somewhat concerned about how much his presence would be missed.  Now that I see what he's become after his injury...I'm beyond happy to see him somewhere else......

...especially at $8 mil/yr for the next 4 or 5.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Well, you can be both correct and wrong there.

It is possible his influence could help the culture in OKC, but the Celtics don't need that. The Celtics already have the culture with our vets, esp KG.

In other words, he is worth more to OKC if we accept that he brought that mentality to a team with 2 flashy scorers like Westbrook and Durant (though Durant seems to have a great work ethic). That doesn't mean that we should miss him.

I think of all the flushes that JO has had over the last 3 or 4 games where JO got the ball like 5 feet from the hoop standing still, took 2 steps and dunked. Perk could never do that. If he wasn't already in motion or wasn't actually under the rim, he couldn't dunk it. That was before knee surgery. I probably lean towards the view that we would have done better last season without the big trade due to better team cohesion. But I am not sure how much $ I think Perk is worth to the Celtics.

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
From reading some of these posts, Perk is having a horrible season.  I wonder if some of these posters who say that Perk is vastly overpaid and that OKC is stuck with his contract realize that every single peep uttered out of OKC by anyone associated with the team is that they're thrilled with Perkins and what he brings to that team.

If you can't appreciate and understand how important is was to have a wide-bodied bruiser that was willing to lay his big body on an opponent every time a shot went up, thereby allowing someone like KG to go for a rebound without having to do so, there's nothing I can post here that's going to help you understand. 

The team's 31-8 with Perk since he got there, and have the best record in basketball this season.  Westbrook is actually having a poorer season than last year, down 2.5 apg.  Durant's about the same stat-wise, with more accurate shooting.  Ibaka's down in every category.  The difference between this and last year's OKC team is toughness, led by Perk and Mohammed, improved defensive play, as well as improved play by Harden.   

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
lol so once again we gon act like Perkins was an all-star? Now imagine if he averaged 5 points nd 5 boards while shootin 44% wit the 9 mil per year contract he has if he was still on the Celtics? ya'll would wanna trade that man run him outta town and call him a washed up bum dude wasnt the heart nd soul of the team enough lol

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
From reading some of these posts, Perk is having a horrible season.  I wonder if some of these posters who say that Perk is vastly overpaid and that OKC is stuck with his contract realize that every single peep uttered out of OKC by anyone associated with the team is that they're thrilled with Perkins and what he brings to that team.

If you can't appreciate and understand how important is was to have a wide-bodied bruiser that was willing to lay his big body on an opponent every time a shot went up, thereby allowing someone like KG to go for a rebound without having to do so, there's nothing I can post here that's going to help you understand.  

The team's 31-8 with Perk since he got there, and have the best record in basketball this season.  Westbrook is actually having a poorer season than last year, down 2.5 apg.  Durant's about the same stat-wise, with more accurate shooting.  Ibaka's down in every category.  The difference between this and last year's OKC team is toughness, led by Perk and Mohammed, improved defensive play, as well as improved play by Harden.  

You put any able big man who plays a lick of defense into that OKC squad and you'd be seeing pretty much the results you're seeing now. The improved defense of OKC has more to do with not having Green playing the 4, particularly alongside Kristic.

It's disinginous to give this amount of credit to Perk particularly with the way he's been playing.

As for Durant being about the same, I'm not sure if shooting about 4% higher (50 FG%) and grabbing almost 2 more rebounds per game and a career high on assists is really playing about the same. Remember this is a young team, and year by year they've been improving both individually and collectively.

What they also have is more continuity, a more stable starting 5 while previously there were a lot of mix and matching.

The team is playing great, but the impact of the player named Perkins has been exaggerated, particularly when considering how he's been playing, how his defense has been really (solid at times, but not the great one we've seen previously), and poor offense and lack of rebounding. His contributions are not worth 7-9 millions so far.

The saving grace for OKC is that they won't be playing the salary cap game from quite some time so they can afford to overpay Perk.

Perks current contribution to OKC is very similar to what JO is doing. Comparable defense, Perk has been more effective with his shots, but a poorer rebounder. Perk has been healthier though. I say let's give JO a lot of credit for our current success.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:28:33 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »

Offline dtrader

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
From reading some of these posts, Perk is having a horrible season.  I wonder if some of these posters who say that Perk is vastly overpaid and that OKC is stuck with his contract realize that every single peep uttered out of OKC by anyone associated with the team is that they're thrilled with Perkins and what he brings to that team.

The team's 31-8 with Perk since he got there, and have the best record in basketball this season.  Westbrook is actually having a poorer season than last year, down 2.5 apg.  Durant's about the same stat-wise, with more accurate shooting.  Ibaka's down in every category.  The difference between this and last year's OKC team is toughness, led by Perk and Mohammed, improved defensive play, as well as improved play by Harden.   

When have you ever heard a player publicly criticize another player currently on their team by name?  Of course they publicly support him.  That doesnt mean he's helping...it just means theyre not media ignorrant fools.

Having a wide body bruiser is great...they currently have 2 -Nazr and Collison, who routinely out perform Perk.

Maybe if you just look at the #s you could argue westbrook is having a worse year, but I dont think anyone that actually watches OKC play would say that.  I think he's having a notably better season, and has been a leader this year rather than a distraction like last year.  Durant is having a better season..more accurate shooting, better rebounding, and better playmaking.  Only reason his overall scoring is down is because of Harden...whose playing better than ever, and has therefore been given a larger role.  Ibaka is scoring 1 less point, and getting less than 1 less rebound, playing half a minute less.  Add in the increased blocks (a career high 10 3 games ago), and I hardly would say he's fallen off.  The biggest difference between OKC before Perk, and after, is Harden.  He's gone from a role player to a borderline star the past season and a half.  Perk has nothing to do with that.  Its just the development of a young star.  That team is NOT playing better because of Perk.  If anything, Perk is the 1 player on that team NOT playing better this year.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
Perk is not the same guy he was in 08.   We certainly miss Perk on D and as an enforcer.   I don't miss his meager post offense. I think he was an over rated vastly by the board and an average rebounder at best.  He was servicable but peeps here act like we lost Hakeem.

I think Danny did a good thing letting him walk.  He is not worth what he thought he was in all reality.

But Perk bring more to the team than just basketball and I cant believe how much people overlook those things.

LOL nope.  He is not Mr. Intangible.   Stats like blocks and rebounds matter to Centers.  What things are you mentioning the bobbled passes?   The only thing he might bring is some toughness it is not like he has tremendous basketball IQ.

I pretty agree with this. Watch some Thunder games and you'll see Perk is more invisible than he was in Boston. The C's system/KG made him look much better than he really is.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Perk is not the same guy he was in 08.   We certainly miss Perk on D and as an enforcer.   I don't miss his meager post offense. I think he was an over rated vastly by the board and an average rebounder at best.  He was servicable but peeps here act like we lost Hakeem.

I think Danny did a good thing letting him walk.  He is not worth what he thought he was in all reality.

But Perk bring more to the team than just basketball and I cant believe how much people overlook those things.

LOL nope.  He is not Mr. Intangible.   Stats like blocks and rebounds matter to Centers.  What things are you mentioning the bobbled passes?   The only thing he might bring is some toughness it is not like he has tremendous basketball IQ.

I pretty agree with this. Watch some Thunder games and you'll see Perk is more invisible than he was in Boston. The C's system/KG made him look much better than he really is.

He has been one of the most visible players in the NBA over the  last week. Possibly only second to Blake Griffin.

;D

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Perk is not the same guy he was in 08.   We certainly miss Perk on D and as an enforcer.   I don't miss his meager post offense. I think he was an over rated vastly by the board and an average rebounder at best.  He was servicable but peeps here act like we lost Hakeem.

I think Danny did a good thing letting him walk.  He is not worth what he thought he was in all reality.

He has been one of the most visible players in the NBA over the  last week. Possibly only second to Blake Griffin.

;D

You have zero soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsdiQ8Fz1M