Author Topic: Entire KHL team killed in Russian plane crash  (Read 5096 times)

Entire KHL team killed in Russian plane crash
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09/07/plane-carrying-russian-hockey-team-crashes-killing-43/

Very sad. Among the dead are Pavol Demitra, Ruslan Salei, Karlis Skrastins and (Swedish goalie) Stefan Liv.

Rest in peace, all of you.

Re: Entire KHL team killed in Russian plane crash
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pretty terrible stuff.  Thoughts and prayers to the two survivors, who are currently listed as in critical condition.  RIP to all those killed in this tragic accident.

I can't even imagine how we would react in the U.S. if a major professional sports team died in an accident.  I know similar tragedies have touched us -- the Marshall football team among others, and of course Roberto Clemente died on a non-team flight -- but I can't even begin to fathom the psychological impact on the sport.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just heard about this on the radio news here ... Brad McCrimmon, 1979 first-round pick by the Bruins, is among the dead. Very tragic, and the two survivors will be lucky to survive their injuries. A condition listed as "grave" is generally beyond critical, and near death. Thoughts and prayers to the families.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Thoughts and prayers out to all... just horrible news.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I can't even imagine how we would react in the U.S. if a major professional sports team died in an accident.  I know similar tragedies have touched us -- the Marshall football team among others, and of course Roberto Clemente died on a non-team flight -- but I can't even begin to fathom the psychological impact on the sport.
Plenty of those players (and the coach) had NHL ties. It's all over the nhl.com page. It's not the same of course, but I get the feeling multiple franchises have been affected in some way.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm not gonna pretend I know who any of the names mentioned by ACF are, even if more avid NHL fans supposedly should know, but yea, this story's sad and quite chilling. Like, I remember when players for I believe the Oklahoma State basketball team were killed in a plane crash. It's easy to take for granted that these teams (especially professional ones) are going on planes where something might go wrong, even though they're supposedly first class and everything.

Yea, my condolences to the families of all the victims, and prayers that the remaining survivors pull through.