Author Topic: 2011 CB Draft Interest Thread/Team Assignment+Lottery  (Read 204314 times)

Re: 2011 Annual CB Draft Interest Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Durant already is the best scorer in the league, what happens when he bulks up and is unstoppable in the post? What if he bulks up and becomes an elite defender? With a post game doubles will come at him more often which will leave him with more room to find open teammates. I think Durant just has such a high ceiling that you have to at least consider him.

I'm fine with this line of thinking. As I recall, I also argued last year with IP that the scarcity of dominate centers today makes Howard an appealing 1st pick.

Clearly Dirk's stock is up though. First time we've seen him even in the discussion at 3.

Have fun guys. I'm out this year. But I look forward to following along, heckling, voting.

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
pardon the silly questions but

(a) isn't this the reason we're doing this draft in the first place -- b'c we don't all agree on players (well except for Lucky17 and me)....

(i remember someone trying to convince everyone that Brandon Wrigt was the difference maker to his team as a 5th round pick... and he's on his way out-of-the league 3 years later after doing nada).

(b) are we trying to set a new record for earliest-meaningless argument? save if for the draft boyz? ;)

(c) is the 24 team limit set in stone? seems a little steep... personally i'd prefer 26-28, but defer to the commish!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Save if for the draft boyz? ;)

We're headed towards a long, quiet off-season, GC. I say the more arguments (that I didn't start...) the better.

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
pardon the silly questions but

(a) isn't this the reason we're doing this draft in the first place -- b'c we don't all agree on players (well except for Lucky17 and me)....

(i remember someone trying to convince everyone that Brandon Wrigt was the difference maker to his team as a 5th round pick... and he's on his way out-of-the league 3 years later after doing nada).

(b) are we trying to set a new record for earliest-meaningless argument? save if for the draft boyz? ;)

(c) is the 24 team limit set in stone? seems a little steep... personally i'd prefer 26-28, but defer to the commish!

We've had to beg and plead to get up to that number last year, even then we had two owners drop out.

Those owners won't be back, so it makes sense to shrink the field.

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
So the question is begged...

What franchises get contracted? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

We can just hold a draft for franchises. Those that aren't picked get the axe.

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be

We can just hold a draft for franchises. Those that aren't picked get the axe.

I guess that begs the other question.  Do you reshuffle everyone or do you allow people that have participated in the past to get "first dibs" on a team that they've perhaps been in the past?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Did somebody really take Brandan Wright in the 5th round?  I remember taking him in the 7th, but that was like my 9th or 11th pick of the draft. ;)

I would totally gamble on Wright if I were the Celtics on a minimum contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
OMG Tony Kornheiser said Illadelph when talking about the Phillies LOL. He's now officially my guy

Didn't know where else to post this lol

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I said this before the playoffs and my opinion hasn't changed, I'd take Dwight Howard #1.

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'll go again.  So long as my clearly superior team doesn't lose to a starting lineup with 5 slow white guys again.  That was depressing.

If it was clearly superior, you would've won.  Don't you think?
Yeah, you'd think so.

Unless you look at the diversity of voters or the team that won (no offense to Otart, I think he even admitted how badly his role players preformed).

I think you've gotta throw in the towel when you're second option has played about 5 games in the past 2 seasons, bud.

This was my team, ftr:

D. Howard / G. Monroe
A. Jamison / E. Davis
J. Salmons / H. Turkoglu / Terrence Williams
W. Matthews / R. Fernandez
B. Davis

A lot of these players under-performed, but I still think at the end of the day it's a relatively strong team.

Edit: The funny part is that probably the players people were most skeptical about - Davis & Monroe - turned out to be the only ones outside of Matthews that exceeded expectations
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:24:23 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Did somebody really take Brandan Wright in the 5th round?  I remember taking him in the 7th, but that was like my 9th or 11th pick of the draft. ;)

There was one pick last year - and you can PM me if you want to know who - that was about as mind boggling of a pick that I've ever seen in any kind of draft ever. And I picked Monta Ellis with the 19th pick 3 years ago.

EDIT: I was mistaken, it was from the pick 2 draft.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:34:46 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Did somebody really take Brandan Wright in the 5th round?  I remember taking him in the 7th, but that was like my 9th or 11th pick of the draft. ;)

There was one pick last year - and you can PM me if you want to know who - that was about as mind boggling of a pick that I've ever seen in any kind of draft ever. And I picked Monta Ellis with the 19th pick 3 years ago.

The most mind-boggling pick of all time was in the first year of the draft (I think).  It amounted to something like "1st rounder + 3rd rounder for 2nd rounder", with the 2nd rounder being Luol Deng (who the GM had forgotten about in the first round, when he could have just taken him).

Looking at last year's first round, there's at least one pick that really sticks out to me as being overvalued.  At the same time, that's with the benefit of hindsight; up until last season, the player had a nice upward trajectory to his career.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
If anyone is feeling a little down on their talent evaluation skills, I can transcribe the rant I just overheard a Mike Felger loving coworker went on citing why Washington's 'Ben' Wall will never become an elite PG.

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Maybe I'll co-gm with somebody this year.

I do want to mention my fantastic second round pick of Kevin Love. Ignore the Tyrekee Evans first round pick.