Author Topic: Patriots 2011 Regular Season  (Read 106023 times)

Re: Patriots 2011 Regular Season
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I can't wait till tonight's game. Can't wait! Can't wait!

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Ditto.
Anyone have any thoughts on what fallout will be for Wilfork?  My guess is bad press, potentially legal distractions, but there is nothing the NFL can do, right? (i.e.: he won't have to sit out a number of games or anything like that)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Ditto.
Anyone have any thoughts on what fallout will be for Wilfork?  My guess is bad press, potentially legal distractions, but there is nothing the NFL can do, right? (i.e.: he won't have to sit out a number of games or anything like that)

I honestly don't know, but I can't imagine that there can be any kind of fall-out, (other than the negative press, etc.), for those players now in the NFL. Time will tell if it affects his game at all, though I doubt that, too, in Vince's case.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Another former Jets player joints New England:
Safety Ihedigbo, who played at UMass.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/08/ihedigbo_says_h.html
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Others excited about Saturday night's game? I can't wait!

Also, what's the probability that B. Merriweather gets traded soon?  Depends on the offer, obviously, but I would guess the Pats would jump at the oppty to trade him for a 3rd rounder, for example.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Also, what's the probability that B. Merriweather gets traded soon?  Depends on the offer, obviously, but I would guess the Pats would jump at the oppty to trade him for a 3rd rounder, for example.
I don't think they have lots of depth or quality at the safety position. I wouldn't be surprised if they try some young guys there like maybe Butler or Ras I

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I don't think they have lots of depth or quality at the safety position. I wouldn't be surprised if they try some young guys there like maybe Butler or Ras I

Agreed.  At this point, IMO, S is the area in which the Pats have the least depth.  It's nice to have Sanders back, and I've read that Ras I played S before, so that would be nice for the team. I posted about Merriweather simply bc he has never really seemed to catch on in NE.  He's of course very talented, but maybe a card or two short of a full deck.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Woah. I didn't realize Merriweather is in the last year of his contract.  That changes things. I'm not sure how many teams want to trade for a bit of a headcase in his last year, but I think BB is probably at least shopping him. And scouting college kids and whatnot. I wouldn't be shocked to see a move after all the cuts.

They traded Seymore due to some contract issues and they had no replacement for him. Granted they may have learned a lesson from that

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, I could really see them get rid of Meriweather.  I think beyond the contract questions, he just was not very good last year, and reportedly has been pretty bad in camp this year.  It will be interesting to see who gets the most reps on Saturday, because he really could be on the chopping block.

I am also just very excited to see some of the other guys on Saturday.  Haynesworth is the obvious one, but I really want to see a little more of Price with the first team (will he still get reps when Welker and Ochocinco are playing?).  And Vereen is someone I have been waiting to see as well. 

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Meriweather is gone after this year unless he really turns himself around.  You can see the flashes of talent but he has a pretty questionable mindset.  Even he admits that he sometimes takes gambles and plays outside the gameplan.  A guy like that isn't going to be a Belichick favorite.

I know someone threw out the idea of a 3rd rounder for him.  That would be an absolute steal for the Pats if they could do it but I don't think a team will bite for that type of compensation. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know someone threw out the idea of a 3rd rounder for him.  That would be an absolute steal for the Pats if they could do it but I don't think a team will bite for that type of compensation. 
Not when they'd have to extend him. If you really like him as a player they can always sign him, I don't think anyone expects the Pats to franchise him.

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not when they'd have to extend him. If you really like him as a player they can always sign him, I don't think anyone expects the Pats to franchise him.

Doesn't hurt to dangle him out there right now.  See if they get any bites.  (If they truly don't expect to keep him after the season)

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Doesn't hurt to dangle him out there right now.  See if they get any bites.  (If they truly don't expect to keep him after the season)
I think they could very well get offers, but not as high as a third round pick.

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Yeah, I put out the idea of a 3rd round pick -- not that I was expecting that to be the going rate, but that the Pats would jump at that offer. 

It's hard to project these things, but if another team signs him in the offseason, the Pats have a chance at a decent compensatory pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree that a 3rd is a reach.