Author Topic: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?  (Read 39422 times)

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

If so, what does it prove?  Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

I just don't get this... :-\
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

If so, what does it prove?  Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

You're right, it's not appropriate to make posts directed at one member.

That said, just because I'm a moderator, does that mean I shouldn't have an opinion?  This thread was light-hearted and in jest, and was meant to congratulate a former player.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:16:05 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

If so, what does it prove?  Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

That said, just because I'm a moderator, does that mean I shouldn't have an opinion?  This thread was light-hearted and in jest, and was meant to congratulate a former player.

My post was meant as a compliment for the respect I have for you.  This thread was in opposition to what I've believed you to be.  Sorry, didn't see the humor (my bad).  Based upon your other (numerous) posts I felt this was a continuation of your recent line of thinking...  Again, my apologies...but I bet I wasn't alone in how I viewed this (though most won't have the stones to admit that now). :)

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

That said, just because I'm a moderator, does that mean I shouldn't have an opinion?  This thread was light-hearted and in jest, and was meant to congratulate a former player.

My post was meant as a compliment for the respect I have for you.  This thread was in opposition to what I've believed you to be.  Sorry, didn't see the humor (my bad).  Based upon your other (numerous) posts I felt this was a continuation of your recent line of thinking...  Again, my apologies...but I bet I wasn't alone in how I viewed this (though most won't have the stones to admit that now). :)

I'd have you back if I though Roy was serious, but I never got that impression from the OP.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

If so, what does it prove?  Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

It's not an obsession when the trade just happened. If 5 years from now someone is still posting about the Perk trade on a daily basis, then we can call it an obsession.

many complained that the criticism was coming too quickly after the trade and we all needed to give it a few weeks to see what happens. now it's a few weeks later and people are complaining that we are still talking about it....can't win I guess.

IMO posters not wanting to discuss a hotly debated trade within just weeks of the trade doth protest too much...

maybe more are starting to realize the potential ramifications of this trade to our starting unit...

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My post was meant as a compliment for the respect I have for you.  This thread was in opposition to what I've believed you to be.  Sorry, didn't see the humor (my bad).  Based upon your other (numerous) posts I felt this was a continuation of your recent line of thinking...  Again, my apologies...but I bet I wasn't alone in how I viewed this (though most won't have the stones to admit that now). :)

Sorry if the humor wasn't clear.  I tried to be upfront that the thread was meant to be light-hearted, with the ";)" face, the "just kidding", and the acknowledgment that you can't cherry pick.  

As for the greater issue, though, the one of "letting it go":  I don't understand why only those who were big fans of the trade should be allowed to comment.  There's a thread suggesting that the Celtics "made out like bandits".  Should I not post in that thread, because I want to wait and see?  When somebody says that Krstic is as good of a defensive rebounder as Perk, should I just ignore historical reality and let it go?

I think this is the second thread that I've started tangentially related to the trade; the other was the "Krstic is being overrated" thread.  If you actually read the opening post in that thread (and many other posts I've made), you'll see that I appreciate a lot of the contributions Krstic is making right now.  However, I think that people who argue that he is at least as good at defense and defensive rebounding as Perk was are wrong.

I've always argued that the trade was good for the Celtics "on paper", but that I have some concerns about chemistry / cohesion, defense, and rebounding.  To me, each of those remains an open issue right now, and so no, I don't anticipate biting my tongue on the subject.  At the same time, when one of the new guys play well, I generally tend to compliment him (like I did with Krstic against Philly and Milwaukee, and indeed, like I did in the first post in this thread).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think anyone needs to "let it go".  Although I will admit that the constant daily analysis of the trade is a bit annoying from both sides.  But thats just a personal preference I guess.

I just don't think we are going to know anything about how this trade turned out until the playoffs get here, and we see whether the Oneals are healthy and able to carry the load.  Until then, I think it is just a fruitless exercise to try to analyze it.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
The Perkins trade doesn't bother me. The fact we traded Erden and Harangody, two serviceable NBA players with game, in order to clear space for Troy Murphy and Sasha Pavlovic is plain stupid to me. I hope I am proven wrong. But Erden and Harangody, aside from the Big 3, were two players I thought had no chance to be traded. It makes no sense that we only got a 2nd rounder in return. You could make the argument that Erden was worth a low 1st rounder while Harangody by himself commands a high 2nd rounder. To package both of them for monkey guts is disheartening. And, it hurts our team in the process. Cause those two guys actually played hard whenever they were on the floor. And Erden was more than suitable option at C whenever we needed him to play some significant minutes.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Obsession? Talking about a player who was a Celtic until a little over two weeks ago is not obsession...especially if that trade has the potential to impact our championship chances in a negative way. Bring back Antoine or Bring back Gerald Green is obsession...not "Perkins trade revisited".

Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

I think you're actually [intentionally being disagreeable] by trying to take a subtle shot at the OP just because he happens to be a mod...when was the last time you saw a Antonie or Gerald Green or Sheed thread where the OP or anybody else advocating for their comeback was called "immature" or something similar.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:04:31 PM by Roy H. »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

My post was meant as a compliment for the respect I have for you.  This thread was in opposition to what I've believed you to be.  Sorry, didn't see the humor (my bad).  Based upon your other (numerous) posts I felt this was a continuation of your recent line of thinking...  Again, my apologies...but I bet I wasn't alone in how I viewed this (though most won't have the stones to admit that now). :)

Sorry if the humor wasn't clear.  I tried to be upfront that the thread was meant to be light-hearted, with the ";)" face, the "just kidding", and the acknowledgment that you can't cherry pick.  

As for the greater issue, though, the one of "letting it go":  I don't understand why only those who were big fans of the trade should be allowed to comment.  There's a thread suggesting that the Celtics "made out like bandits".  Should I not post in that thread, because I want to wait and see?  When somebody says that Krstic is as good of a defensive rebounder as Perk, should I just ignore historical reality and let it go?

I think this is the second thread that I've started tangentially related to the trade; the other was the "Krstic is being overrated" thread.  If you actually read the opening post in that thread (and many other posts I've made), you'll see that I appreciate a lot of the contributions Krstic is making right now.  However, I think that people who argue that he is at least as good at defense and defensive rebounding as Perk was are wrong.

I've always argued that the trade was good for the Celtics "on paper", but that I have some concerns about chemistry / cohesion, defense, and rebounding.  To me, each of those remains an open issue right now, and so no, I don't anticipate biting my tongue on the subject.  At the same time, when one of the new guys play well, I generally tend to compliment him (like I did with Krstic against Philly and Milwaukee, and indeed, like I did in the first post in this thread).

I didn't even really like the trade on paper, Roy. I mean, maybe some thought since we got two OKC starters we got the better of the deal, but on paper the trade always looked like trading defense for offense which is just not a deal I thought we should be making. especially since we hang our hats on our defense.

to add to that is the emotional/chemistry component which as we all know Perk was a highly visible part of the emotional make-up of the team. I think most will acknowledge that even those who don't think the emotional component is all that important to winning...

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The Celtics got the better deal in the trade.

We will still win banner 18 this season and we'll be set up for more success in the immediate future.

They're going to flip the switch come playoff time just like they did last season... and it almost worked last season.
Is that you Danny?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Perkins trade re-visited
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

Obsession? Talking about a player who was a Celtic until a little over two weeks ago is not obsession...especially if that trade has the potential to impact our championship chances in a negative way. Bring back Antoine or Bring back Gerald Green is obsession...not "Perkins trade revisited".

Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

I think you're actually [intentionally being disagreeable] by trying to take a subtle shot at the OP just because he happens to be a mod...when was the last time you saw a Antonie or Gerald Green or Sheed thread where the OP or anybody else advocating for their comeback was called "immature" or something similar.

I'm equally stunned that you, of all people, would chime in on the nature of my post...utterly stunned. :)

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

The insulting part is the insinuation that only the "lowly" posters are critical of the trade. whereas the more high-brow posters think the trade was just fine...how dare Roy sink down to the level of us "peons" who think Perk was an important part of our team and shouldn't have been traded...you should be ashamed of yourself, Roy ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We can stop talking about the Perk trade if it makes people feel uneasy, but the truth is that the subject will be looming over this team for the remainder of the season.  

If we lose in the post-season because some team is able to outmuscle us on the interior, the trade will be seen forever as a catastrophic mistake by Ainge.  That's the risk he took.  

I happen to think the current team can be really good and win a title this year, but time will tell what the ultimate outcome of this trade will be.  

I don't think Celtics fans will be able to stop thinking about it, even if we want to.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
Until the end of the season, it is still going to be a very common topic because it's relevent to our wins and losses. 

It's really pretty simple though IMO.  If we make the Finals, we won the trade.  If we don't, it was a catastrophic mistake.