Author Topic: For those of you who complain about Rondo  (Read 10174 times)

For those of you who complain about Rondo
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I really am in shock at how nit picky some of the posters are especially when it comes to our 24 year old point guard.  This is the best point guard the celtics have had since Bob Cousy.  With due respect to JoJo and DJ, I saw them both play by the way.  Rondo is an amazing basketball player and can dominate a game (when needed) like a handful of celtics ever.  Lets think about his back ups in his career, this year dwest injured nate robinson (who did a nice job early on) or bradley (lost).  Vet by buyout earlier, sam cassell or steph marbury? yikes. 
Yes he's headstrong, cocky and gruff (reminds me of bird)
After dj lets think who we've had for point guards.  Note this is random off the top of my head.
brian shaw, dee brown, john bagley, the other bc small guy?, sebastian telfair, delonte west
kenny anderson! old but still kenny
Notice anything about this list?  All these guys are backups or third string except anderson.
Rejoice in Rondo!  He's the real thing.  He's played injured, played without a backup, dominated playoff series like few, is an all star and one of the top pg's in the nba currently.

Re: For those of you who complain about Rondo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Best post of the day. TP.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

Offline Celtics/Run

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 35
I really am in shock at how nit picky some of the posters are especially when it comes to our 24 year old point guard.  This is the best point guard the celtics have had since Bob Cousy.  With due respect to JoJo and DJ, I saw them both play by the way.  Rondo is an amazing basketball player and can dominate a game (when needed) like a handful of celtics ever.  Lets think about his back ups in his career, this year dwest injured nate robinson (who did a nice job early on) or bradley (lost).  Vet by buyout earlier, sam cassell or steph marbury? yikes. 
After dj lets think who we've had for point guards.  Note this is random off the top of my head.
brian shaw, dee brown, john bagley, the other bc small guy?, sebastian telfair, delonte west
Notice anything about this list?  All these guys are backups or third string except anderson.
Rejoice in Rondo!  He's the real thing.  He's played injured, played without a backup, dominated playoff series like few, is an all star and one of the top pg's in the nba currently.

Rondo will end up breaking every Celtic PG record in history. He is the future.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
you forgot Gary Payton, Mike James and the great potential-laden Marcus Banks :P
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Agreed! I think so many posters say what they want particular players to be and not what they are. I am sure if they were playing today we would be hearing how Larry took too many open jumpers and McHale never passed the ball even though noone could stop him.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:05 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
There is something about Rondo that I have only seen from a handful of people in NBA history. A unique special player. He will be a great great player when it is all said and done

I had to warm up to him, since I have a real affinity for the Big 3 (call it a man-crush lol) and knew he was on the come up. Thats good that Danny got two players to back him up in D West and Arroyo so he can conserve his energy for the playoffs

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
you forgot Gary Payton, Mike James and the great potential-laden Marcus Banks :P

Don't forget Sherman Douglas, David Wesley, Tony Delk, Randy Brown, Chris Herren, Milt Pilacio, Shammond Williams, Joe "I never knew you" Forte, Chucky Atkins, J.R. Bremer and Dan Dickau.

I'll take Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205

Thank you! Biggest TP i've given in a while.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 576
I agree with 90% of your post. My only real issue with Rondo it that he has games or parts of games where he seems almost disinterested or plays at less than 100%.
When he plays with full energy, I don't think there's a better point guard, at least for the Celtics, in the league.
That being said, he's young and just needs to bring it every game, which over the course of 82 games, playing huge minutes, I'm sure is a quite the challange.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas

Don't forget Sherman Douglas, David Wesley, Tony Delk, Randy Brown, Chris Herren, Milt Pilacio, Shammond Williams, Joe "I never knew you" Forte, Chucky Atkins, J.R. Bremer and Dan Dickau.

I'll take Rondo!
:D
i did quick list off the top of my head
shame on me for forgetting sherman douglas! loved him
so actually looking at additions others have done
sherm, david wesley - starter caliber guards on good teams
payton too old when he was here but still good

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Agreed! I think so many posters say what they want particular players to be and not what they are. I am sure if they were playing today we would be hearing how Larry took too many open jumpers and McHale never passed the ball even though noone could stop him.
McHale when playing was known (lovingly  :-*  ) as the black hole
bird was bored enough to play a game shooting with his left hand

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Cousy a pretty good PG in the day likes Rondo.

“I’ve been saying since probably the first year that it seems to me he touches all the bases for a point guard,” said the Cooz. “If there is a negative - and I don’t know how much of a negative it is - he seems to be insecure about his shooting. But, hell, the guy’s shooting almost 52 percent. How much better could he be if he looked for his shot all the time? But that’s not the function of a point guard.

“Everything else is there. He rebounds much taller than he is. He’s a tough, tough defender. And he creates well. He adds a little something, so he’s obviously getting more confident with the moves and the imagination that he shows. As far as I’m concerned, he’s their most valuable player this year.”

“I like the way he uses the bounce pass,’’ says Cousy, whose team record for assists in a season (715 in 1959-60) was broken by Rondo this year (794). “That was my favorite pass, especially internally. He’s developed that behind-the-back stuff that I used to do. He does it much more effectively than I used to. He cups it, brings it all the way behind him, and the defenders fall off because they’re sure he’s going to pass it, and he still pulls it back.

“He’s a much stronger penetrator. I didn’t get off the ground too often. I always felt I was very vulnerable if I left my feet going into the monsters, so I was a little more careful than he is.’’
Any other similarities, Cooz?

“I had big hands,’’ he starts. “Arnold’’ — Cousy always called Red Auerbach “Arnold’’ — “said that the reason I could do so much behind-the-back crap was that I had long arms. I’ve measured my hands against most people. I still do it today. Most normal people, I dwarf their hands. I’ve heard them talk about how big Rondo’s hands are, so I guess we share that. And obviously that’s a great

Tommy likes him too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeVxBuY4hGc

Hmmm, two hall of famers opinions versus Rondo 's naysayers I have to say that is a wash in favor of Rondo.  Bottom line is this kid has more basketball IQ than most do on the board.  Some people will never be happy.  He isn't perfect, his shot is suspect but without him we'd not got past Orlando or CLE last year as he carried through a few games.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

TP, Basically.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

I'll take Rondo!
:D
i did quick list off the top of my head
shame on me for forgetting sherman douglas! loved him
so actually looking at additions others have done
sherm, david wesley - starter caliber guards on good teams
payton too old when he was here but still good

And the LONG Chauncey Billups era. Felt like that went on forever.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Or in other words...

For those of you who complain about Rondo:

Shut Up.