Author Topic: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)  (Read 16139 times)

Re: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
Incoming Rondo triple doubles in this years playoffs with make you guys change your mind about this trade.

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
DWill might be a better rebuilding piece than Rondo, though I'm not sure about that.  But when it comes to who's the best PG for this Celtic team to win a title, it's no contest.

Rondo averages 10 shots about 2 ft attempts a game.  DWill averages over 15 shots and 7 ft attempts a game.  DWill would completely change the offensive chemistry of the team and I've seen nothing out of him that says he could play at the same high level when he's not allowed to score a lot.

Mike
That is much more a function of their  respective supporting casts then anything else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
Deron Williams playing shooting guard? Really guys? Yea that'll work the guy is 6 3'' DWill playing defense on Kobe would be quite effective.

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Trade Rondo plus spare parts to Utah for Deron in a S & T.

Sign Dwight Howard.

Get KG and Ray to come back on minimum deals for one last go-round.

C:  Howard
PF: KG
SF: Pierce
SG: Ray
PG:  Deron

Bench:  Who needs a bench? ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
i just dont understand it rondo shuts down deron williams to 5 pts and 6 ast and we wanna trade for deron?????? with everything rondo brings us even our own celtics fans would trade rondo for deron... thats just stupid what else rondo has to do to prove u ppl wrong..rondo best pg defender and passer in the nba and we would trade him for some bum with a jump shot gotta be kidding me

You've got to look at more than one game if you're going to use head to head stats, I think.  See here:  http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=willide01&p2=rondora01

Over their respective careers, Deron has outperformed Rondo head-to-head.  There are reasons to prefer Rondo to Deron for this team, but head to head stats aren't one of them, in my opinion.

(Also, since it was brought up, try to watch your tone a bit, please.  Calling somebody's opinion stupid is basically the same as calling them stupid.)

It looks from those stats that Deron had a big advantage in 06-07 and 07-08, but not so much after that.

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
DWill might be a better rebuilding piece than Rondo, though I'm not sure about that.  But when it comes to who's the best PG for this Celtic team to win a title, it's no contest.

Rondo averages 10 shots about 2 ft attempts a game.  DWill averages over 15 shots and 7 ft attempts a game.  DWill would completely change the offensive chemistry of the team and I've seen nothing out of him that says he could play at the same high level when he's not allowed to score a lot.

Mike
That is much more a function of their  respective supporting casts then anything else.

That's simply not the case.  DWill is taking the most shots on this year's Jazz team and has taken about 160 more ft attempts than Al Jefferson.  He took the most shots on the Jazz last season, a few hundred more than Carlos Boozer, and he took the most shots on the Jazz two seasons ago.

In the NBA, and I suspect in college, DWill has NEVER played the pg role the way Rondo has.

Mike

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 05:09:44 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Here is another quote from Deron Williams from this week

"What I've learned is, you don't go on TV and do The Decision." Williams said the other night in Newark, after the Jazz lost to the Nets. "So I won't be doing 'The Decision."

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/114168-deron-williams-on-free-agency-i-wont-be-doing-the-decision

Sounds like he is definitely leaving . I wouldn't break up the team this year obviously , but if he becomes available in 2012 and Rondo hasn't improved his free throw shooting and outside shooting I would definitely explore a S+T for Williams.

After these next 2 years Rondo is going to have to take much more of the scoring load on his shoulders which is a bad thing when you are such a poor free throw shooter( he shy's away from attacking the basket at ends of games sometime because he is worried about shooting FT's)  and outside shooter( though I think he has improved his jump shot from 15 ft, it's still not good enough ). Rondo needs a great outside shooter and a go to scorer to really excel in his role as a PG.

Deron at this moment in time would be much easier to rebuild around after the big 3 are gone . If Rondo can somehow improve his shooting I might change my mind, but it hasn't happened yet.

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Mike

That's simply not the case.  DWill is taking the most shots on this year's Jazz team and has taken about 160 more ft attempts than Al Jefferson.  He took the most shots on the Jazz last season, a few hundred more than Carlos Boozer, and he took the most shots on the Jazz two seasons ago.

In the NBA, and I suspect in college, DWill has NEVER played the pg role the way Rondo has.

Mike
Has Williams ever played with a perimeter scorer like Paul Pierce?  How about a clutch money outside shooter like Ray Allen?  If Rondo was in Utah under Sloan with the same roster he would more then likely be the leading attempt player on that team as well and if Williams was in Boston with the same system and supporting cast that Rondo has, he would be taking far fewer shots.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Rondo's passing skills are always underrated.  He is the best passer in the game and has been for a couple of years now.  The only guy I see who has a chance to equal him as a passer may be John Wall.  Unfortunately, I've seen very little of Wall, but what I saw looked very special in the passing department....

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

Mike
Has Williams ever played with a perimeter scorer like Paul Pierce?  How about a clutch money outside shooter like Ray Allen?  If Rondo was in Utah under Sloan with the same roster he would more then likely be the leading attempt player on that team as well and if Williams was in Boston with the same system and supporting cast that Rondo has, he would be taking far fewer shots.

I'm not really sure that Rondo would be the leading shot attempter on that Utah team if he was there.  His game is different than Williams and Sloan would certainly recognize that.  I have little doubt that Sloan would recognize Rondo's limitations and use him more as a facilitator.  I think he'd almost treat him as he did with Stockton.  

Jefferson & Millsap would be getting more shots than Rondo.  I have little doubt on that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Incoming Rondo triple doubles in this years playoffs with make you guys change your mind about this trade.

Triple doubles are cool, thats about it. I love Rondo but him dropping triple doubles is more of a cool fun stat, doesn't really mean that mcuh to me

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Mike

Uh, Williams has been playing with low-post scorers in Boozer and Jefferson who are far better in the post than anyone Rondo has ever played with.  He's also had guys like AK47, Kyle Korver, Wesley Matthews, Okur and let's not forget Milsap, who came out of nowhere to play at near all-star level.  The Jazz have had plenty of talent for a pass-first PG to work with.

But DWill has ALWAYS been a scoring PG.  He's taken more shots and more free throw attempts than any other Jazz player since his second year in the league and there's ZERO reason to believe he can play at a high level without taking a bunch of shots.

Mike

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Mike
That is much more a function of their  respective supporting casts then anything else.

That's simply not the case.  DWill is taking the most shots on this year's Jazz team and has taken about 160 more ft attempts than Al Jefferson.  He took the most shots on the Jazz last season, a few hundred more than Carlos Boozer, and he took the most shots on the Jazz two seasons ago.

Mike
Has Williams ever played with a perimeter scorer like Paul Pierce?  How about a clutch money outside shooter like Ray Allen?  If Rondo was in Utah under Sloan with the same roster he would more then likely be the leading attempt player on that team as well and if Williams was in Boston with the same system and supporting cast that Rondo has, he would be taking far fewer shots.

Uh, Williams has been playing with low-post scorers in Boozer and Jefferson who are far better in the post than anyone Rondo has ever played with.  He's also had guys like AK47, Kyle Korver, Wesley Matthews, Okur and let's not forget Milsap, who came out of nowhere to play at near all-star level.  The Jazz have had plenty of talent for a pass-first PG to work with.

But DWill has ALWAYS been a scoring PG.  He's taken more shots and more free throw attempts than any other Jazz player since his second year in the league and there's ZERO reason to believe he can play at a high level without taking a bunch of shots.

Mike

of course he is going to take the most shots, he is the best shooter/ scorer on the team. Jefferson is a very good low post player, but he is a black hole .

And please don't tell me that Milsap, korver,ak47 are compareable to KG, Ray  and PP. They are role players at best on a championship team. Milsap is at best a 3rd or 4th option on a contending team.

Utah went to the conference finals his 2nd or 3rd year in the league . He has had playoff success , just not on Rondo's level because he simply doesn't have the same talent around him .

He is averaging 15 FGA per game this year which is 25th in the league with guys like scola, kevin martin , Rudy Gay in the same area. That is not that many shots per game .

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike
That is much more a function of their  respective supporting casts then anything else.

That's simply not the case.  DWill is taking the most shots on this year's Jazz team and has taken about 160 more ft attempts than Al Jefferson.  He took the most shots on the Jazz last season, a few hundred more than Carlos Boozer, and he took the most shots on the Jazz two seasons ago.

Mike
Has Williams ever played with a perimeter scorer like Paul Pierce?  How about a clutch money outside shooter like Ray Allen?  If Rondo was in Utah under Sloan with the same roster he would more then likely be the leading attempt player on that team as well and if Williams was in Boston with the same system and supporting cast that Rondo has, he would be taking far fewer shots.

Uh, Williams has been playing with low-post scorers in Boozer and Jefferson who are far better in the post than anyone Rondo has ever played with.  He's also had guys like AK47, Kyle Korver, Wesley Matthews, Okur and let's not forget Milsap, who came out of nowhere to play at near all-star level.  The Jazz have had plenty of talent for a pass-first PG to work with.

But DWill has ALWAYS been a scoring PG.  He's taken more shots and more free throw attempts than any other Jazz player since his second year in the league and there's ZERO reason to believe he can play at a high level without taking a bunch of shots.

Mike

of course he is going to take the most shots, he is the best shooter/ scorer on the team. Jefferson is a very good low post player, but he is a black hole .

And please don't tell me that Milsap, korver,ak47 are compareable to KG, Ray  and PP. They are role players at best on a championship team. Milsap is at best a 3rd or 4th option on a contending team.

Utah went to the conference finals his 2nd or 3rd year in the league . He has had playoff success , just not on Rondo's level because he simply doesn't have the same talent around him .

He is averaging 15 FGA per game this year which is 25th in the league with guys like scola, kevin martin , Rudy Gay in the same area. That is not that many shots per game .

To recap.

DWill has ALWAYS shot the ball a lot.
There is NO evidence he can play at an elite level without shooting the ball a lot.
If he was on this Celtic team, he would have to take drastically fewer shots, which is hard to imagine because he'd still be the best scorer on the team...or do you think KG, Ray and PP are better individual scorers than DWill is right now?

DWill on this Boston team would dramatically change the way they play on offense.  There's no getting around that.

Mike

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Mike

Mike

Uh, Williams has been playing with low-post scorers in Boozer and Jefferson who are far better in the post than anyone Rondo has ever played with.  He's also had guys like AK47, Kyle Korver, Wesley Matthews, Okur and let's not forget Milsap, who came out of nowhere to play at near all-star level.  The Jazz have had plenty of talent for a pass-first PG to work with.

But DWill has ALWAYS been a scoring PG.  He's taken more shots and more free throw attempts than any other Jazz player since his second year in the league and there's ZERO reason to believe he can play at a high level without taking a bunch of shots.

Mike
Deron Williams isn't a high usage player and his passing is excellent. He's taken 13.3 shots a game for his career with 4.6 FTA per game. That's not all that many.

He also doesn't ball hog nearly as much as CP3. I get that he takes the most shots on his team, but everyone on the Jazz gets their touches.