Author Topic: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)  (Read 16146 times)

Re: Deron Williams threatens to leave Utah in 2012 ( Can he play SG?)
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I'd make the trade this year, which works.

Williams, Bell, Watson, Okur

for

Rondo, Allen, J O'Neal, Bradley, Von Wafer

I'd consider even throwing in a 1st and would throw some cash if it mattered.

I think that trade is a pretty big downgrade to our title hopes.  Bell and Okur are shells of their former selves, averaging a combined 13 points per game.  We can't give up both Rondo and Ray (plus picks and prospects) for a return of Deron and a couple of mediocre guys.
Okur is just coming back from an injury.  He has looked better physically the last few games.  You take Bell for his defense.  He is still a pretty good defender and he isn't a bad outside shooter. 

I think the upgrade at PG is worth the downgrade at SG.  And while Okur is still coming back from injury, he is still an upgrade over JO who isn't playing.  Watson is also much more of a pure PG then anything on our bench, which might come in handy on the bench at some point in time.

I think Deron Williams is the better player than Rondo overall, but I think Rondo is a perfect for the C's for the next 2 years . No way would I give up Rondo and Ray for that package .

Deron Williams would probably be a better fit than Rondo in 2012 because Rondo can't be a # 1 go to scorer and playmaker that Williams is ( at least not yet). Also like I said it would make sense to try to get Williams in 2012 because Dwight Howard will also be a free agent and williams would likely be more attractive than Rondo to Howard .

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
While Deron Williams CAN play shooting guard, I recall him specifically saying he hates doing it after being questioned about his role on the Redeem team. I'd highly doubt that he'd be willing to join a team w/ an established Point guard like the Celtics.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Deron Williams would probably be a better fit than Rondo in 2012 because Rondo can't be a # 1 go to scorer and playmaker that Williams is ( at least not yet). Also like I said it would make sense to try to get Williams in 2012 because Dwight Howard will also be a free agent and williams would likely be more attractive than Rondo to Howard .
I don't know about the number one scorer bit. I think Rondo wouldn't be as good as Deron/CP3 in that role but he certainly has shown he can be a scorer when PP/KG have been down.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The biggest difference between CP3/Williams and Rondo now is that they make 3s and hit their free throws.

When it comes to things other than scoring from those two areas Rondo has reached their level.

Rondo is also a significantly more deft defender, which is not to be undervalued. I agree with Roy that a trade of Rondo and Ray for Williams and change would damage the Cs title hopes this year.

Next year however, it could merit significant discussion if a Carmelo situation develops. Rondo would have to be one of best options for them in trade, and JO will be on an expiring contract (or retiring? even better). Find a sleeper at the end of the 1st this year or throw in picks. It's hardly far fetched.

Meanwhile, Williams is NEVER playing the 2 in the NBA -- let's just nip that in the bud right now.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:57 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

for

I think that trade is a pretty big downgrade to our title hopes.  Bell and Okur are shells of their former selves, averaging a combined 13 points per game.  We can't give up both Rondo and Ray (plus picks and prospects) for a return of Deron and a couple of mediocre guys.
Okur is just coming back from an injury.  He has looked better physically the last few games.  You take Bell for his defense.  He is still a pretty good defender and he isn't a bad outside shooter. 

I think the upgrade at PG is worth the downgrade at SG.  And while Okur is still coming back from injury, he is still an upgrade over JO who isn't playing.  Watson is also much more of a pure PG then anything on our bench, which might come in handy on the bench at some point in time.

Why do we need to upgrade our 3rd string center position?  That's just silly.  There's no point in upgrading a position that likely won't play in an average game. 

And when you take that out of the equation, it's totally ludicrous to suggest trading Rondo and Ray in a deal that doesn't even necessarily improve any position while very clearly downgrading us at the SG spot. 

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sure Williams could play shooting guard, but it would also hurt his game and make him a much worse player. When you are a top 2 or 3 point guard in the NBA you dont change positions. Period. Also I would not trade Williams for Rondo. Williams might have a tad bit more talent but Rondo has been trained to have a winners mentality. Winning a championship at such a young age and learning how to play the game from Pierce, Garnett, and Allen before he reaches his prime helps much more than most people give credit to.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline buellj814

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 74
Deron Williams could play the two guard spot and be a very good player at that position albeit not as good as he is at the PG spot ... but he couldn't play alongside Rondo. Too many diminishing returns.

Rondo and Deron both need too much of the ball and both would rather be passers / playmakers than scorers. They would hurt one another's games too much. Not worth pursuing.

I would happily consider trading Rondo for Deron ... although with Rondo's improvements over the past 18 months, that is no longer an easy question.

Rondo has cut the gap between him and Deron + Paul. Very close to their level of play.
I wouldn't say he is very close to those guys levels because he still can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Paul and Deron are much better shooters then Rondo, all three are excellent passers and rebounders, and good defenders.  Unless Rondo significantly improves his shooting he will never be anywhere near as good as Williams or Paul.

for

Gives Boston a starting unit of Williams, Bell, Pierce, KG, Perkins with a rotation of Robinson, Daniels, Davis, Shaq, and Okur with Watson and West on the deep bench.  Erden and Gody go back to suits where they should be for development purposes and leaves the C's with an extra spot to add someone if they want.

this is beyond an awful trade.. and beyond that with all the people who say they would give up Rondo in a heartbeat.. what has deron ever won?? his teams are always a team that could be a sleeper in the playoffs and a team that always dissapoints come playoff time.. Rondo has also put up MUCH better numbers in the postseason... IMO im not trading Rondo for any pg because its a lateral move..

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Deron Williams could play the two guard spot and be a very good player at that position albeit not as good as he is at the PG spot ... but he couldn't play alongside Rondo. Too many diminishing returns.

Rondo and Deron both need too much of the ball and both would rather be passers / playmakers than scorers. They would hurt one another's games too much. Not worth pursuing.

I would happily consider trading Rondo for Deron ... although with Rondo's improvements over the past 18 months, that is no longer an easy question.

Rondo has cut the gap between him and Deron + Paul. Very close to their level of play.
I wouldn't say he is very close to those guys levels because he still can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Paul and Deron are much better shooters then Rondo, all three are excellent passers and rebounders, and good defenders.  Unless Rondo significantly improves his shooting he will never be anywhere near as good as Williams or Paul.

for

Gives Boston a starting unit of Williams, Bell, Pierce, KG, Perkins with a rotation of Robinson, Daniels, Davis, Shaq, and Okur with Watson and West on the deep bench.  Erden and Gody go back to suits where they should be for development purposes and leaves the C's with an extra spot to add someone if they want.

this is beyond an awful trade.. and beyond that with all the people who say they would give up Rondo in a heartbeat.. what has deron ever won?? his teams are always a team that could be a sleeper in the playoffs and a team that always dissapoints come playoff time.. Rondo has also put up MUCH better numbers in the postseason... IMO im not trading Rondo for any pg because its a lateral move..

What did KG, PP and Ray win before coming together? that is such a ridiculous statement.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:24:47 AM by rondohondo »

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »

Offline buellj814

• Al Horford

I wouldn't say he is very close to those guys levels because he still can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Paul and Deron are much better shooters then Rondo, all three are excellent passers and rebounders, and good defenders.  Unless Rondo significantly improves his shooting he will never be anywhere near as good as Williams or Paul.

for

Gives Boston a starting unit of Williams, Bell, Pierce, KG, Perkins with a rotation of Robinson, Daniels, Davis, Shaq, and Okur with Watson and West on the deep bench.  Erden and Gody go back to suits where they should be for development purposes and leaves the C's with an extra spot to add someone if they want.

What did KG, PP and Ray win before coming together? that is such a ridiculous statement.

what have they won without Rondo?? IMO, Rondo is a better pg than Deron.. Rondo brought his team to game 7 of the NBA finals last year being the best player on the team..

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

for

What did KG, PP and Ray win before coming together, that is such a ridiculous statement.
in addition, Rondo doesn't even have better postseason numbers so he clearly hasn't been MUCH better in the postseason.  Rondo's postseason numbers are 13.8 ppg, 8.3 apg, 5.9 rpg, 1.97 spg, 2.5 tpg in 64 games with a TS% of 47.8%.

Williams Postseason numbers are 21.1 ppg, 9.6 apg, 3.7 rpg, 1.2 spg, 3.5 tpg in 44 games with a TS% of 57.9%.  

Rondo is a better rebounder and takes a bit better care of the ball (16.3 TOV% vs. 14.6 TOV%), but Williams is better everywhere else.  And Deron was significantly better then Rondo in last years playoffs.  Now granted he plays more of a vital role to his teams success then Rondo does, but Deron is just flat out better then Rondo.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

Offline buellj814

• Al Horford
Deron was significantly better than Rondo in the playoffs last year??? Really?? less games played by deron may have something to do with the stats... To say Deron was better than Rondo in the playoffs is ludicrous 

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Rondo is the starting PG of the second best team (record wise)in the NBA right now. He has won a championship and has successfully been able to keep four future hall of fame players happy with his play making. Deron may be a better individual player, but Rondo has already earned the respect of Shaq and the Big 3, which is no easy feat. Trading him now would be a very reckless move. This current Celtic team is on a mission and we shouldn't even be talking of trades which could disrupt the team's chemistry.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Deron was significantly better than Rondo in the playoffs last year??? Really?? less games played by deron may have something to do with the stats... To say Deron was better than Rondo in the playoffs is ludicrous 
How about just against the Lakers

Williams - 22 ppg, 8.8 apg, 2.8 rpg, .8 spg, 3 tpg 38.7%, 29.2%, 82.5% as the teams focal point on offense

Rondo - 13.6 ppg, 7.6 apg, 6.3 rpg, 1.6 spg, 2.7 tpg 45.4%, 33.3%, 26.3% as an afterthought on offense

They each had right around 39 minutes a game.  Deron had a poor shooting series and his team lost.  Rondo's worst game the Celtics won (they also won his best game), and while Rondo was better from the field he had the worst FT% of any player for a 7 game stretch that I can ever recall.  I mean 26.3% shouldn't even be happening in junior high.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Rondo is the starting PG of the second best team (record wise)in the NBA right now. He has won a championship and has successfully been able to keep four future hall of fame players happy with his play making. Deron may be a better individual player, but Rondo has already earned the respect of Shaq and the Big 3, which is no easy feat. Trading him now would be a very reckless move. This current Celtic team is on a mission and we shouldn't even be talking of trades which could disrupt the team's chemistry.
I don't think we can beat the Lakers as presently constructed unless the Lakers have injuries, which is why I would make moves.

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You guys sure like throwing around words like ludicrous, and ridiculous.

I'm not sure they mean what you guys think they mean.

To say Rondo and Deron have comparable supporting casts is incorrect. I could even go so far as ludicrous or ridiculous if you enjoy hyperbole.

Deron Williams was the leading scorer for Utah during the playoffs last season, and their most consistent player.

Rondo had a heck of a post season last year, Deron Williams did too. As individual players, Deron Williams played better. He was asked to do more, and did so in a pretty efficient manner.

Rondo managed to assert himself as a presence despite being surrounded by 3 (or maybe 4 if Sheed ever approaches the honor) probable hall of famers. That's not something that can be understated, but Deron Williams was Utah's go to guy in the series against Denver (which Utah was supposed to lose), and the series against LA (which Utah was swept in).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner