Author Topic: Chicago car salesman fired for wearing Packers necktie  (Read 11092 times)

Chicago car salesman fired for wearing Packers necktie
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:58:45 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
Funny story here - what do you all think?

Was the car lot's GM correct/justified?

With Illinois being an "at will" state, can the guy win a wrongful termination lawsuit?

http://www.fox11online.com/dpps/news/strange/illinois-man-fired-for-wearing-packer-tie-ob11-jgr_3704207

Re: Chicago car salesman fired for wearing Packers necktie
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
"Wore it to honor his late grandmother"

Ya, OK. More to this story.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kind of see where the owner was coming from - if your customer base are Bears fans, you don't want to tick them off by seeming to rub the loss in their face.  Firing might be excessive but the guy should've understood that's not a good idea in a customer service position.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since it's "at will" employment, I don't see him having a leg to stand on.  "Green Bay Packer fan" is not a disadvantaged class that enjoys legal protection.

Pretty stupid move, since he's isolating a portion of the dealership's customer base.  I probably would have fired him, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Funny story.

Anyways, if he really was asked to remove the tie, and he refused, he really wouldn't have any case in a wrongful termination suit...well, unless he has a weasely lawyer who decides to claim that he wasn't fired for the tie, and claims it was because he was black or something.  

I do think the car dealership was perfectly justified in firing him though.  That absolutely can affect his ability to make sales, and if he refused to take the tie off, then its an issue.  

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1038
Kind of see where the owner was coming from - if your customer base are Bears fans, you don't want to tick them off by seeming to rub the loss in their face.  Firing might be excessive but the guy should've understood that's not a good idea in a customer service position.

You'd think their prices and customer service - not their neckties - would be enough.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Definitely no leg to stand on as far as wrongful termination.

Apparently he already has another job, so he should be fine.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You'd think their prices and customer service - not their neckties - would be enough.

Not always.  Bears fans are maybe the most passionate fan base in the NFL.  I can easily see somebody just walking out of the dealership after being greeted by a guy with a Packers tie.  The wound was just a bit too fresh at that point.

Also, of course, there's the insubordination issue.  When your manager asks you "five times" to take off a tie because it's conflicting with an advertising campaign and because you're potentially irritating customers, you should do what your boss says.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:28:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If he'd shown up for work in a Packers burka, though, people would be lining up to boycott/sue the dealer.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Eh, I think when you are making an investment like that, you want to trust the guy you are buying from.  At the very least, he comes across as a major ass by wearing that tie in Chicago right after that loss.  

I mean, if I were going to buy a car the day after game 7 of the finals, and I walked in to a dealership, and a salesman walked up to me in a Lakers tie, I would have turned right around and walked out.  To me, it is not a good sign of character to try to incite people like that, and I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

If he'd shown up for work in a Packers burka, though, people would be lining up to boycott/sue the dealer.

Lets not go there.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I'm not sure why a guy would be wearing a burka.

And it's clearly a different issue, since a burka is tied a religion, whereas being a Packers fan - regardless of what the cheeseheads may tell you - is not a religion.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Yea, I can't say I disagree with the boss. As far as real life trolling goes, that's pretty textbook. I mean, asked five times or so to take off your tie and refusing to? Seriously? Your grandmother being a big Packers fan is one thing, but if you're selling cars to Bears fans, I think it's justifiable to respect your boss's wishes and find an alternative way to honor your grandma.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Ideally, yeah.  But you've got to cater to the customers you've got, not the customers you'd ideally want, and if the customers you've got include a lot of diehard Bears fans still smarting from a loss to their rivals, it's bad business to be rocking the Packers logo.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14

Then you apparently know nothing about sales, or at least have never worked in it.

Selling is more about the trust and relationship you have with a customer, than it is anything your pitching.

It's a skill and talent to take two sticks and a rock, and sell someone that their buying fire. The bottom line (i.e. package, pricing, etc...) is only part of the equation.