Author Topic: 3 way trade idea - boston, cleveland, washington  (Read 6646 times)

3 way trade idea - boston, cleveland, washington
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Cleveland gets:  Andray Blatche

Washington gets:  Jermaine O'Neal, Avery Bradley

Boston gets:  Anderson Varejao

Checks out on the trade machine.

Why for Cleveland:  I think Varejao has poured a lot of heart into playing for Cleveland and is a fan favorite there, but they are getting a player in Blatche who is more talented overall, 4 years younger, and save about $5 million over the 5 years that Blatche and Varejao are signed for.  I think this is a no brainer for Cleveland because they simply need more talent on that team in order to compete.  It's also been reported that they have specifically inquired about Blatche.

Why for Boston:  Let's face it, I know JO has been hurt, but what is his role really going to be here?  I just can't picture this guy bringing anything to the team.  Varejao can play defense just as well or better than JO and bring even more energy to this team.  Varejao is also a guy who does not need the ball in his hands to be effective offensively, which I'm starting to think more and more that JO does and that's why he's having trouble fitting in.  I think Boston does this deal.  I think Varejao's a better fit at the 4 than JO is, while they can both play the 5.

Why for Washington:  This is the team least likely to agree IMO.  They'd be trading away a promising, young PF.  The reason why they could be interested is that they have Blatche signed on for 5 more years at a contract that is not a bargain for them.  He's also involved in altercations with teammates (JaVale McGee) and his play has occasionally induced boos from the home crowd.  They clear up his contract when JO's expires after next season and replace one promising player with a younger promising (albeit less promising) player in Avery Bradley.  I think Bradley and Wall could make a very potentially interesting backcourt pairing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: 3 way trade idea - boston, cleveland, washington
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The perfect way to make Cleveland even worse. 

Blatche is a stat hanger who refuses to play defense.

SideShow is a good rebounder and defender.  He is worth so much more. 

DC is the team most likely to say yes to get him away from Wall.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1258
Would be nice if it happened, but I think Washington could get way more for Blatche than JO and Bradley.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Nice one but, Varejao's contract is as scary as his hair!
And, i don't think any team would be interested in JO and Bradley right now...

I think the only trade assets we have are BBD, Quis, Perk (expiring) and Wafer (non-guaranteed)..

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Make Cleveland even worse?  They are 8-25 good for worst in the East.  They went 1-14 in December and are off to a 0-1 start in 2011.  Can they be any worse?  Varejao is definitely a good rebounder and defender, but that's all he is, and that's a role player.  Cleveland doesn't need role players; they need players who have talent and Blatche has that (at slightly cheaper).  Varejao is terribly overpaid for what he provides, especially in the current NBA economy.  The only reason he got that money was to pacify LeBron; no other team would have given him that contract.

I tend to agree with the later 2 posters, that Washington might be able to get more for Blatche than JO and Bradley.  I think it might be a start though.  2 thoughts I had were if Cleveland were to include a (high) 2nd round draft pick going to the Wiz and/or if Washington would have any interest in an offensive gunner like Von Wafer.  Thoughts?

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Make Cleveland even worse?  They are 8-25 good for worst in the East.  They went 1-14 in December and are off to a 0-1 start in 2011.  Can they be any worse?  Varejao is definitely a good rebounder and defender, but that's all he is, and that's a role player.  Cleveland doesn't need role players; they need players who have talent and Blatche has that (at slightly cheaper).  Varejao is terribly overpaid for what he provides, especially in the current NBA economy.  The only reason he got that money was to pacify LeBron; no other team would have given him that contract.

I tend to agree with the later 2 posters, that Washington might be able to get more for Blatche than JO and Bradley.  I think it might be a start though.  2 thoughts I had were if Cleveland were to include a (high) 2nd round draft pick going to the Wiz and/or if Washington would have any interest in an offensive gunner like Von Wafer.  Thoughts?

0-15?

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Lets see, Cleveland trades their best forward for a player who isnt as good as he is, meaning they get worse. Washington trades a promising, yet headcased, young guy for a veteran who doesnt have nearly as much potential or value plus a rookie throw in who wont see the floor in even washington... But the Celtics still make out with the best player in the deal....

Yup, makes perfect sense to me  ::)

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Lets see, Cleveland trades their best forward for a player who isnt as good as he is, meaning they get worse. Washington trades a promising, yet headcased, young guy for a veteran who doesnt have nearly as much potential or value plus a rookie throw in who wont see the floor in even washington... But the Celtics still make out with the best player in the deal....

If your "best forward" is averaging a career best 9.3 ppg... you probably need to trade him.  I don't see how he fits into that franchise moving forward.  And does anybody really think that Cleveland can get much worse?  Is 0-16 in their last 16 games really feasible?  I think Cleveland does this in a second.  I think Washington's side is the only one that would need to be tinkered with.  Would a draft pick get it done?

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Gotta agree with action here. I don't know why people can overrate Varejao so bad. He's a decent player, a very good ROLE player. He is in no way a cornerstone player and does not have the potential to be. He has hit his ceiling and he is very overpaid

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

If your "best forward" is averaging a career best 9.3 ppg... you probably need to trade him.  I don't see how he fits into that franchise moving forward.  And does anybody really think that Cleveland can get much worse?  Is 0-16 in their last 16 games really feasible?  I think Cleveland does this in a second.  I think Washington's side is the only one that would need to be tinkered with.  Would a draft pick get it done?

But why trade him for an inferior F?  One that is soft.  One that is immature.  One that refuses to play defense.  One that fights with their coaches. 

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Gotta agree with action here. I don't know why people can overrate Varejao so bad. He's a decent player, a very good ROLE player. He is in no way a cornerstone player and does not have the potential to be. He has hit his ceiling and he is very overpaid

Pretty much but, he would make a nice reserve off the bench on the C's.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

But why trade him for an inferior F?  One that is soft.  One that is immature.  One that refuses to play defense.  One that fights with their coaches. 

Well, I guess we agree to disagree on the adjective of "inferior".  I say Varejao is a superior role player (which the cavs do not need), while an inferior overall player.

The Cavs defensive efficiency is currently ranked 26th (at 107.8 ) so I don't think that acquiring Blatche will ruin some stellar defensive plans they have in place.  Their offensive efficiency is ranked 29th (at 97.6) which Blatche could boost.  If nothing else, a crappy team is still a crappy team that saves $1M per year.  And with Blatche having some talent, being younger, and cheaper, I'd say he is a more tradable contract than Varejao going forward.

I really do feel for the Cavs fans... what on earth do they have to look forward to?

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75

Well, I guess we agree to disagree on the adjective of "inferior".  I say Varejao is a superior role player (which the cavs do not need), while an inferior overall player.

The Cavs defensive efficiency is currently ranked 26th (at 107.8 ) so I don't think that acquiring Blatche will ruin some stellar defensive plans they have in place.  Their offensive efficiency is ranked 29th (at 97.6) which Blatche could boost.  If nothing else, a crappy team is still a crappy team that saves $1M per year.  And with Blatche having some talent, being younger, and cheaper, I'd say he is a more tradable contract than Varejao going forward.

I really do feel for the Cavs fans... what on earth do they have to look forward to?

A lot of good points.  The team might as well go for the worst record in the league, as that's the only way they will get a top draft pick.

Varejao would do nicely on the Celtics IMO

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Pretty much but, he would make a nice reserve off the bench on the C's.

I completely agree. I would much rather have Varejao for our team than Blatche. If I was a lottery team though I would much rather have Blatche than Varejao.

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think a lot of teams in the league would like to have Andy V. He's only slightly over paid (years are the real problem.) The C's could use him - but I think they'd want to move Perk and JO if they did that. (No way they'd be resigning Perk with Andy V on the books for that much.)

CLE should consider trading JJ Hickson to ORL with Bass out... they might be able to get something of value back (maybe in a three team deal):

CLE gets Picks
ORL gets JJ Hickson
West team gets a wing / guard