Author Topic: Orlando and Portland (Trade Idea)  (Read 7783 times)

Orlando and Portland (Trade Idea)
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Orlando sends:

Bass, Nelson, Duhon

Portland sends:

Camby, Andre Miller

Portland gets younger with a playoff tested PG. Orlando gets their backup Center.

Re: Orlando and Portland (Trade Idea)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I see people saying the Magic may trade Nelson but where is that coming from?  Would they really go all in on Arenas as their PG?

Anyways, although Camby certainly is a good backup C losing Bass doesn't make it all positive since you're giving up some good muscle and rebounding at the PF spot as the Magic there.  I don't think this trade really makes them that much better but maybe it could happen.  It's kind of a sideways move and leaves a lot of questions at the PF spot.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Start Camby alongside Dwight.

That would be one heck of a defensive + rebounding foundation for the rest of the team to play off of.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can. 

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can. 

I agree.  At every position besides C the Magic goal has been 3 point shooting and I understand why but don't think that is a winning formula, especially since Dwight is not a complete offensive center.  If they had a creative PG they would be much more effective and ultimately unstoppable.  Imagine a great passer with Dwight, there would be alley-oops thrown all the time.  That's why the Chris Paul to Magic rumors always scared me so much, we saw what Paul did with Chandler... imagine Dwight.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I would like this trade for both if Andre Miller weren't such a terrible shooter.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I would like this trade for both if Andre Miller weren't such a terrible shooter.

Miller is a good enough mid range shooter to keep defenses honest, and they would have shooters at litterally every other position on the floor other than center.  I think they would be fine. 

What they need is someone to get the ball in the hands of the shooters, and that is something that Miller can do better than Nelson. 

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can.  

Why do you like this trade so much?  Are you an Orlando fan and hope this trade can knock off the Celtics?  I can't imagine a Celtics fan liking a trade that helps their rivals.

Then again, I never could understand Celtics fans coming up with trades to improve their rivals.  Never understood it. ???
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Miller is a good enough mid range shooter to keep defenses honest, and they would have shooters at litterally every other position on the floor other than center.  I think they would be fine. 

What they need is someone to get the ball in the hands of the shooters, and that is something that Miller can do better than Nelson. 
I think Miller and Dwight would have issues at first offensively. Miller likes to go down into the post and Dwight would clog that up for him. But they'd figure it out well enough.

This is the sort of trade I hope the Magic can't pull off, it'd give them a good shot at the C's.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can.  

Why do you like this trade so much?  Are you an Orlando fan and hope this trade can knock off the Celtics?  I can't imagine a Celtics fan liking a trade that helps their rivals.

Then again, I never could understand Celtics fans coming up with trades to improve their rivals.  Never understood it. ???

I like it in that it is a good trade for both teams.  I agree though, I would not be happy about it from a Celtics point of view.  Although I still think Orlando would be a step below the C's and Heat even with that trade. 

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can. 

Why do you like this trade so much?  Are you an Orlando fan and hope this trade can knock off the Celtics?  I can't imagine a Celtics fan liking this trade.
I'll let Chris speak for himself on what he meant by "like". (It probably depends on what your definition of "is" is)

But lets not get into questioning others "fanhood". It only ends badly, and is against our rules.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't think Orlando needs to give up this much to get the backup big they need.

Keep in mind that they have a sizeable trade exception ($6.3 mil) from the trade with Phoenix. They could simply offer a pick to a team looking to unload a MLE-level player.

They also have a smaller TE of $1.8 mil from the Rashard Lewis trade with Washington. So a journeyman big could be had for a future 2nd rounder or cash.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think Orlando needs to give up this much to get the backup big they need.

Keep in mind that they have a sizeable trade exception ($6.3 mil) from the trade with Phoenix. They could simply offer a pick to a team looking to unload a MLE-level player.

They also have a smaller TE of $1.8 mil from the Rashard Lewis trade with Washington. So a journeyman big could be had for a future 2nd rounder or cash.
What type of big man do you think they could get for nothing? I don't see them picking up a rotation guy that way, maybe a "Mikki Moore" type....

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

What type of big man do you think they could get for nothing? I don't see them picking up a rotation guy that way, maybe a "Mikki Moore" type....

Depends on who's selling. Certainly, lottery teams will be, but also teams also looking to drop under the luxury tax, or to clear future payroll.

Guys who could slot into the larger TE: Kris Humphries or Johan Petro, Rony Turiaf, Darius Songaila, Reggie Evans, Ryan Hollins, Jason Maxiell or Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden.

Guys who could slot into the smaller TE: Etan Thomas or Josh Powell, Solomon Jones or Josh McRoberts, John Brockman, Kwame Brown.

And those are just players from the Eastern Conference.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Names that have been thrown out there:  Tony Battie, Ronny Turiaf, and Troy Murphy (after a buyout).  I think Battie would be pretty cheap, but I can see NY holding on to Turiaf.  With Murphy, I could definitely see him going to Orlando if NJ can't trade him to a contender at the deadline.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes