Author Topic: Orlando and Portland (Trade Idea)  (Read 7782 times)

Re: Orlando and Portland (Trade Idea)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think Orlando needs to give up this much to get the backup big they need.

Keep in mind that they have a sizeable trade exception ($6.3 mil) from the trade with Phoenix. They could simply offer a pick to a team looking to unload a MLE-level player.

They also have a smaller TE of $1.8 mil from the Rashard Lewis trade with Washington. So a journeyman big could be had for a future 2nd rounder or cash.

I agree that they could get a servicable backup without giving up that much.  However, I think this is actually good value.  Camby is significantly better than anyone else they could get with that trade exception, and I personally think Miller is an upgrade over Nelson, and fits in better with the team overall now that they have Arenas as an option as a shooting PG as well.  

They clearly are not afraid to be bold and reshape the team in a dramatic fashion, so why stop where they are?  

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can. 

Why do you like this trade so much?  Are you an Orlando fan and hope this trade can knock off the Celtics?  I can't imagine a Celtics fan liking a trade that helps their rivals.

Then again, I never could understand Celtics fans coming up with trades to improve their rivals.  Never understood it. ???

Huh?  So you think Orlando's GMs are too stupid to come up with this idea?  And they are scouring forums looking for trade ideas?

The way this forum works is someone posts a trade idea, so Chris says he likes it because he thinks its a good trade for both teams.  It has nothing to do with that man, relax.

And I don't think they are going to settle for a free agent or really cheap pick up because there is no quality out there.  It'll just depend on how much they want to give up.  I don't know if some of their supposed targets, like Turiaf or Camby, will be cheap.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I like this deal a lot.  I think it would be tough for Portland to lose Camby, given their lack of centers, however, this is a very good deal for them, getting Bass, who would compliment Aldridge well, and Nelson, whose attitude should mesh better.

For Orlando, it would be a great deal.  Camby and Howard together is downright scary, and I think Miller is exactly what they need.  While Nelson is good, he isn't really the kind of floorleader that can control the pace of the game like Miller can. 

Miller's not much of a shooter, is he?

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I don't think Orlando needs to give up this much to get the backup big they need.

Keep in mind that they have a sizeable trade exception ($6.3 mil) from the trade with Phoenix. They could simply offer a pick to a team looking to unload a MLE-level player.

They also have a smaller TE of $1.8 mil from the Rashard Lewis trade with Washington. So a journeyman big could be had for a future 2nd rounder or cash.

I agree that they could get a servicable backup without giving up that much.  However, I think this is actually good value.  Camby is significantly better than anyone else they could get with that trade exception, and I personally think Miller is an upgrade over Nelson, and fits in better with the team overall now that they have Arenas as an option as a shooting PG as well.  

They clearly are not afraid to be bold and reshape the team in a dramatic fashion, so why stop where they are?  

True. But I don't see Orlando trading Nelson for Miller, who's a poor 3-point shooter. That Van Gundy offense, for better or worse, is all about perimeter shooting.

Trading away a starting PG and a bruising young big for a backup PG and an injury-prone rebounder/shot blocker doesn't seem like a net gain to me, especially when it means Gilbert is given the keys to the offense.

If it's about being bold, why not JRich for Murphy? Arenas and Redick can split SG duties. Murphy splits time between both frontcourt slots. Better roster balance, no need to trade your starting PG or a key reserve like Bass.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

True. But I don't see Orlando trading Nelson for Miller, who's a poor 3-point shooter. That Van Gundy offense, for better or worse, is all about perimeter shooting.

Trading away a starting PG and a bruising young big for a backup PG and an injury-prone rebounder/shot blocker doesn't seem like a net gain to me, especially when it means Gilbert is given the keys to the offense.

If it's about being bold, why not JRich for Murphy? Arenas and Redick can split SG duties. Murphy splits time between both frontcourt slots. Better roster balance, no need to trade your starting PG or a key reserve like Bass.

Eh, I am not sure that is Van Gundy's system.  I think he has worked with what he had.  His GM gave him a bunch of shooters and one big man.  So he built a system around them that was successful. 

However, I think he would be absolutely ecstatic to have a PG who can run a team the way Miller can, even if he his range is 18 feet instead of 23. 

I mean, Jim Obrien's system also seemed to favor 3 point shooters, but he did pretty well with Kenny Anderson running the point.

As for JRich for Murphy, I think he is just way too injury prone to make that worth it.  He hasn't been able to stay on the court, and has looked pretty cooked when he has this season.

Although on a similar line, I could definitely see them offer JRich for Okur if he looks like he is back to 100% over the next month or so. 

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Andre Miller would hurt Hedo Turkoglu's game far more than Gilbert Arenas would.

Better to start Arenas and use Miller as the team's backup point guard.

Miller is too ball dominant + cannot space the floor. Too very poor qualities for a PG when you are trying to get Hedo Turkoglu to be an impact player instead of a role player shooter. Even more so with Camby in the starting lineup.

I'd only be giving Miller 12-16 minutes a night on that Magic squad. Keep JJ Redick as the backup two guard and Q-Rich as the backup SF. Ryan Anderson as the main backup big man. Nice nine man rotation.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
So it begins!  ;)

But while the Knicks, according to an NBA source, are keeping close watch on Camby's availability now that the injury-plagued Trail Blazers are at a crossroads, the Orlando Magic reportedly also are angling to land the veteran shot-blocker to back up Dwight Howard. Newsday

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
So it begins!  ;)

But while the Knicks, according to an NBA source, are keeping close watch on Camby's availability now that the injury-plagued Trail Blazers are at a crossroads, the Orlando Magic reportedly also are angling to land the veteran shot-blocker to back up Dwight Howard. Newsday

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23289/camby-wants-to-stay-in-portland

Even going to an elite team does not appeal much to Camby, who is in his 15th season. His ultimate desire is to remain in Portland. After signing a two-year, $21 million extension with the Blazers in the spring, Camby moved his family to Portland and has his two young daughters enrolled in school there. One place Camby wouldn’t mind going is Houston, where he lives in the offseason.

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
So it begins!  ;)

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23289/camby-wants-to-stay-in-portland

Even going to an elite team does not appeal much to Camby, who is in his 15th season. His ultimate desire is to remain in Portland. After signing a two-year, $21 million extension with the Blazers in the spring, Camby moved his family to Portland and has his two young daughters enrolled in school there. One place Camby wouldn’t mind going is Houston, where he lives in the offseason.

I could have seen we saw that exact same story, just with LA instead of Portland.  It seems like Camby just loves wherever he is playing, and can't stand to move.

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I could have seen we saw that exact same story, just with LA instead of Portland.  It seems like Camby just loves wherever he is playing, and can't stand to move.

Exact same thing I thought while reading that.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I could have seen we saw that exact same story, just with LA instead of Portland.  It seems like Camby just loves wherever he is playing, and can't stand to move.

Yeah, he loves to stay put, couldn't stand leaving Denver either. However, he lacks a NTC, and has little say in the matter.

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I could have seen we saw that exact same story, just with LA instead of Portland.  It seems like Camby just loves wherever he is playing, and can't stand to move.

Yeah, he loves to stay put, couldn't stand leaving Denver either. However, he doesn't have a NTC, so he has little say in the matter.

Yeah, and honestly, I am not even sure its even true.  At this point, I am starting to think he leaks stuff like that, just because he thinks it makes him look loyal, even though behind the scenes, he may be asking to leave. 

I think we really need to take stories like that with a grain of salt, because generally there is someone spinning them for a reason.

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would like this trade for both if Andre Miller weren't such a terrible shooter.

Miller is a good enough mid range shooter to keep defenses honest, and they would have shooters at litterally every other position on the floor other than center.  I think they would be fine. 

What they need is someone to get the ball in the hands of the shooters, and that is something that Miller can do better than Nelson. 
I think Miller and Dwight would have issues at first offensively. Miller likes to go down into the post and Dwight would clog that up for him. But they'd figure it out well enough.

This is the sort of trade I hope the Magic can't pull off, it'd give them a good shot at the C's.

It does make quite a bit of sense -- scary considering the magic have been rumored to have interest in camby.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Camby has always enjoyed a sip of the weed. I bet he loves Oregon. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
im sorry but are you guys serious?
there is no way they are giving up bass, nelson and the old man for another two old men to their squad.
The owner (nor otis smith) would never lose nelson and bass for such little future gain.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.