Author Topic: Rumor: Bobcats interested in Baron Davis  (Read 5070 times)

Rumor: Bobcats interested in Baron Davis
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Link:  http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-bobcatsjordan122310

Jordan is considering a trade proposal that would send Augustin, DeSagana Diop and Matt Carroll to the Los Angeles Clippers for Davis, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

I think MJ has to pull the trigger on this one.  I always liked Augustin, but remember the Warriors that beat the Mavs in the first round?  This team has potential to be better than that... which is about the ceiling I can possibly see this team reaching.

Make the trade above and you have a lineup of:
B-Diddy
S-Jax
Gerald Wallace
Diaw/Ty Thomas
Nazr Mohammed

I'm actually not crazy about that lineup.  But what I would be crazy about, is if they could then trade Diaw and Nazr Mohammed to Orlando for J-Rich when eligible.  Orlando is stacked in the backcourt and needs frontcourt depth.

Then, if they brought in a fast paced coach instead of Silas, they could go with:

B-Diddy
J-Rich
S-Jax
Gerald Wallace
Ty Thomas

WOW!  That is an exciting team to watch if nothing else.  Is it not better than that Warriors team?  Will they win a title?  No.  Do they really have any chance at all to win a title with any possible roster move?  No.  So, why not?  Get into the playoffs, hope to not draw the celtics, and threaten to make a little noise.  This team could possibly give Miami trouble if they got hot.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Rumor: Bobcats interested in Baron Davis
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
That's actually not terrible.  Augustin needs to go, and Diop and Carroll are dead weight contracts that last as long as Baron's anyways.

They are still going to suck, but at least they will have a PG.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:08:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well its not the worst deal, but I still think its a bad idea. Its easier to move two smaller bad contracts than one big one.

I think Charlotte needs to blow it up, rather than trying to be a 6-8 seed this year and the next.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Sounds like a dream trade ... especially with Paul Silas as their new Head Coach.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sounds like a dream trade ... especially with Paul Silas as their new Head Coach.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Silas was his coach way back before he was quite so fat.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
davis won't help them win, but they're giving up absolute junk to get him. why not?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Finally get him out of Clipperland, bad influence on Griffin... Maybe Jordan will be able to spark the real talent thats buried inside Baron Davis.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Diddy, J-Rich and S-Jax?

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I really want to see a rejuvinated Baron Davis, I've always been a big fan of his and I can't help myself to always be rooting for him when I'm watching him play. But its probably time to stop giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. He's been lousy enough for a while now, and while he's had some poor fitting coaches you'd think he could make the best of it if he had enough in the tank. 

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Baron Davis should be ashamed.  31 years old, healthy and he could legitimately be fetched for DJ Augustin (the 2nd coming of Sebastian Telfair) and two of the worst contracts in the league.

Pathetic. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
"healthy" is certainly a stretch

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Well its not the worst deal, but I still think its a bad idea. Its easier to move two smaller bad contracts than one big one.

I think Charlotte needs to blow it up, rather than trying to be a 6-8 seed this year and the next.

I don't think Charlotte can blow it up on their fan base.  What is going to make them stick around?  They've never been any good!  I think they need to at least do something exciting, then maybe blow it up.  Hell, maybe if they do something exciting in the playoffs, it will build up the trade value of their players and then they could trade them for rebuilding.  Because right now, I don't even think they could get good young pieces for what they have and they don't have many rebuilding pieces in place right now either.  Gerald Wallace is 28 already and he's always been a player that I don't know what kind of role or even position he'd play on a championship team.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
This makes them an equally bad team.

I wouldn't trade Augustin who has potential and wants to win for Davis who just doesn't care about conditioning or performing any longer.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Another funny one by RealGM, surely they could've found a better picture of Baron Davis doing his best Billy Madison impression

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
That's actually not terrible.  Augustin needs to go, and Diop and Carroll are dead weight contracts that last as long as Baron's anyways.

They are still going to suck, but at least they will have a PG.

I agree from the Bobcat perspective but I it's a downgrade for the Clippers.  It will allow Bledsoe to start and develop though, and Augustin is a solid back up PG. I guess this makes sense because Sterling hates Davis to the point where he heckles him at home, but Sterling is a joke of an owner and he should really be the one on the way out.  Not that Davis has played well but Sterling obviously has a track record that speaks for itself.

Gerald Wallace is 28 already and he's always been a player that I don't know what kind of role or even position he'd play on a championship team.

First off 28 is in your prime.  You say already but he has a few more years of his best basketball ahead of him (most likely) and last year was definitely his best year.  Second he plays SF or an undersized PF and he plays the role of finishing around the rim, hitting the boards, and playing lock down D.  He'd be a no brainer on a championship-level team, I don't know how you wouldn't understand how he'd fit, you can always use those kinds of guys around stars because they compliment them by boarding and finishing when they get the rock and play the great D neccessary to win.  Unfortunately he has been wasting away in Charlotte.  If he was in Boston he'd fit like a glove off the bench as our backup SF.  Won't happen but just saying, he is a guy who fits on any great team.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:59:32 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford