Author Topic: Time for Rudy Fernandez again?  (Read 13152 times)

Re: Time for Rudy Fernandez again?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Wafer and a 1st for Rudy might work

but I have to agree with some people above, I rather wait for OJ Mayo...

Normally I wouldn't want to trade Bradley for anyone, cuz the kid's young and can play defense...
but if that guy is OJ Mayo, I would trade Wafer, Bradley and some other guy for him

OJ Mayo did say he wants to play with Rondo =)

What exactly would the Grizzlies incentive to make this trade? They just threw a truck load of cash at Mike Conley, already have two rookies who play 2/3 and have a 'stopper' in Tony Allen - the only thing Avery Bradley has shown the ability to do at this point.

They'd be trading a proven player with a high ceiling to add two players who might crack their rotation, only one with potential to significantly improve

Conley/ Bradley
Henry/ TA / Vasquez / Von Wafer
Gay / Sam Young
Randolph
Gasol

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Conley/ Bradley
Gay / Sam Young
Randolph
Gasol

It makes me sad that a starting 5 that good would have a bench that bad.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Conley/ Bradley
Gay / Sam Young
Randolph
Gasol

It makes me sad that a starting 5 that good would have a bench that bad.

They've got Thabeet, they've got Thabeet. YA! They got Thabeet

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Normally I wouldn't want to trade Bradley for anyone, cuz the kid's young and can play defense...
but if that guy is OJ Mayo, I would trade Wafer, Bradley and some other guy for him

What exactly would the Grizzlies incentive to make this trade? They just threw a truck load of cash at Mike Conley, already have two rookies who play 2/3 and have a 'stopper' in Tony Allen - the only thing Avery Bradley has shown the ability to do at this point.

They'd be trading a proven player with a high ceiling to add two players who might crack their rotation, only one with potential to significantly improve

Conley/ Bradley
Gay / Sam Young
Randolph
Gasol

Money.

Mayo has lost his starting spot.  They do not want to pay for his next contract.

This trade trims money the next two years and gives them the equivalence of two 1st round picks.  A backup PG and whatever they get out of the draft.  

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I'd guess that the Grizzlies could get a better offer from at least a dozen teams in the league.

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Forgot to mention that Rudy sucks.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'd guess that the Grizzlies could get a better offer from at least a dozen teams in the league.

Probably.

But if I were the Celtics, I would hold onto my chips until that happens. 

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Probably.

I'd do the same, but don't think that there's even a tenth of a chance we'd land OJ Mayo. With the team rolling the way it has lately, I wouldn't make a move that wasn't anything less than an absolute slam dunk. I'm a huge Rudy Fernandez believer, but I don't think he's enough of a sure-thing to bother making a trade for at this point.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Conley/ Bradley
Gay / Sam Young
Randolph
Gasol

I guess it comes back the concept that our trash is supposed to be another team's gold.

Yes, it appears the Grizzlies don't wanna pay Mayo in the longterm - having just committed a ton of cash to Conley and Gay. But it's highly likely that they could get better packages elsewhere. I could see Chicago getting into the mix, possibly offering Taj Gibson - who could be insurance should the Grizz let Zach Randolph walk.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Wafer and a first for Rudy??  You really think the Blazers take that proposal seriously?

With what's happened to Odom and Roy, the Blazers have to be seriously considering their future.  An extra 1st is always nice to have in those situations.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Probably.

I'd do the same, but don't think that there's even a tenth of a chance we'd land OJ Mayo. With the team rolling the way it has lately, I wouldn't make a move that wasn't anything less than an absolute slam dunk. I'm a huge Rudy Fernandez believer, but I don't think he's enough of a sure-thing to bother making a trade for at this point.

If all is takes is Wafer and a 1st, that's pretty close to a slam dunk.  I can't imagine any trade where Boston would have to give up less to get anyone of value.  I'd prefer someone with enough strength to play the 3 for those games when Marquis vanishes, but I'm not sure a guy like that is getable.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
No on Rudy.

Rudy wants playing time. He won't get it with the Celtics. He'll just go back to Spain after this year or 2 (i think the Blazers picked up their option on Rudy.) if he won't get that playing time he wants.

Either way, I like how Rudy plays, but I'd rather hang on to Von and that 1st rounder for something else.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think the money move is trading Nate and Daniels for a SF, especially one that can play a small PF spot. West seems on pace to heal quickly and they can go with AB in the meantime.

Rondo / AB
Ray / Pierce / AB
Pierce / (SF new guy)
KG / Baby / (SF new guy)
Shaq / Baby / Semi

Adding a 2 guard doesn't help the bench - the problems are in the front court. I think if they could get a combo forward that would be best, a big SF for the matchups where Ray is over matched at SF, and short term depth in the front court.

Then if everyone gets healthy the depth chart looks like:

Rondo / AB
Ray / West / Wafer
Pierce / SF
KG / Baby / Harangody
Shaq / Perk / JO / Semi

And the rotation is probably the starters, plus West and the new SF, Baby and whichever of the two bench centers is healthier / playing better.

If your not improving the lineup cohesion - I wouldn't rock the boat from a chemistry stand point. Plus Rudy doesn't have the versatility to get enough PT off the bench (bad option at PG and SF.) Mayo is better, especially if you have West and him as the two backup wings, you get a bit more size and defensive tenacity, still there would be times when your reserves are over matched a fair amount size wise at the wings.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think the money move is trading Nate and Daniels for a SF, especially one that can play a small PF spot. West seems on pace to heal quickly and they can go with AB in the meantime.

Rondo / AB
Ray / Pierce / AB
Pierce / (SF new guy)
KG / Baby / (SF new guy)
Shaq / Baby / Semi

Adding a 2 guard doesn't help the bench - the problems are in the front court. I think if they could get a combo forward that would be best, a big SF for the matchups where Ray is over matched at SF, and short term depth in the front court.

Then if everyone gets healthy the depth chart looks like:

Rondo / AB
Ray / West / Wafer
Pierce / SF
KG / Baby / Harangody
Shaq / Perk / JO / Semi

And the rotation is probably the starters, plus West and the new SF, Baby and whichever of the two bench centers is healthier / playing better.

If your not improving the lineup cohesion - I wouldn't rock the boat from a chemistry stand point. Plus Rudy doesn't have the versatility to get enough PT off the bench (bad option at PG and SF.) Mayo is better, especially if you have West and him as the two backup wings, you get a bit more size and defensive tenacity, still there would be times when your reserves are over matched a fair amount size wise at the wings.

You want Rondo to play 48 minutes a game? Because, really, that's the only way in which Bradley backing up Rondo can ever work.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd trade Von or Marquiz + 1st rounder to Toronto for Julian Wright instead for Rudy.

Wright is a solid defender and a good shooter. He can back up Paul no problem. And he's young too. Only thing is he's getting paid 3m (i think), so we need to give away good players to match salaries.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace