Author Topic: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 54790 times)

Re: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

3. Charlattle is extremely thin on depth. Really a seven-man rotation, as I doubt that any of their bench aside from Blair or Stuckey can be relied on for production. Gay and Amare a serious one-two punch, and will have to carry the team.

Anthony Tolliver logged in 30 + minutes (Scoring 11 points and taking down 7 boards) last year while Luther Head scored 7.5 ppg in 17 minutes, AJ Price had similar numbers on the same team. Sam Young was a 6th man on a 40 win team. We're deeper than you think. ;D

Off topic, I love the names people are coming up with us. I think we might combine IP and Lucky's efforts, THe Charlottle Supercats!
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/tollian01.html

Tolliver is a fringe rotation guy.

His production is similar to this guy:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mooremi01.html

First off, if you can log 30 + minutes a game in the NBA you're not a fringe anything. Secondly, he's my 4th big.

Thirdly, It took Mikki Moore 9 years in the NBA to earn the type of minutes Tolliver took last year in Gstate and even then he never had Tolliver's three point range.
He logged those minutes with the warriors after they were completely decimated by injuries.

And produced at a very solid clip for someone who will be a 4th big. Much like that warriors team, he'd only be starting if we're decimated by injuries.
Keep selling a Mikki Moore as a solid 4th big. His defense isn't good at an NBA, neither is his scoring, or rebounding.

I love him as a Creighton guy, and he's a nice person from what I've seen but he's a 13th-15th roster slot type.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:32:06 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

3. Charlattle is extremely thin on depth. Really a seven-man rotation, as I doubt that any of their bench aside from Blair or Stuckey can be relied on for production. Gay and Amare a serious one-two punch, and will have to carry the team.

Anthony Tolliver logged in 30 + minutes (Scoring 11 points and taking down 7 boards) last year while Luther Head scored 7.5 ppg in 17 minutes, AJ Price had similar numbers on the same team. Sam Young was a 6th man on a 40 win team. We're deeper than you think. ;D

Off topic, I love the names people are coming up with us. I think we might combine IP and Lucky's efforts, THe Charlottle Supercats!

First off, if you can log 30 + minutes a game in the NBA you're not a fringe anything. Secondly, he's my 4th big.

Thirdly, It took Mikki Moore 9 years in the NBA to earn the type of minutes Tolliver took last year in Gstate and even then he never had Tolliver's three point range.
He logged those minutes with the warriors after they were completely decimated by injuries.

And produced at a very solid clip for someone who will be a 4th big. Much like that warriors team, he'd only be starting if we're decimated by injuries.
Keep selling a Mikki Moore as a solid 4th big. His defense isn't good at an NBA, neither is his scoring, or rebounding.

I love him as a Creighton guy, and he's a nice person from what I've seen but he's a 13th-15th roster slot type.

Mikki Moore was a rotation guy on lots of teams, even teams that made the playoffs. Just because he was terrible here, doesn't mean he wasn't servicable before he got here. Also, Mikki lacked my man's range.

« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
manu has had 2 surgeries in 2 years. he's got to last at least 100 games, unless you plan on sweeping everyone on your way to a championship. manu ginobli as your third option is a substantial risk, nevermimd the fact that he's your first..
if manu can last an entire season then we can talk about how he's no longer an injury risk. until then, as a famous man once said, these are the breaks......
Didn't Manu just play an entire season and 10 games in the playoffs while having one of the 12 highest PERs in the league? He's played 85 games since his surgery and was playing better at the end of the year than he was at the beginning. To me, that signifies being healed and beyond his injury.

I don't know. I understand the injury concern for Bynum. Heck it's well placed. Manu, I just feel has proven he's beyond his one bad career injury and has proven as such and is no more or less injury prone than most players.

Just judging from some of the stuff I have read in the different threads I think Manu is getting aas large if not larger question mark put on him for injury than players like Yao, Przybilla, Oden, Josh Howard, KG, Gilbert Arenas, Kendrick Perkins, Tayshaun Prince, Brandon Roy, Mehmet Okur, Andrei Kirilenko and Blake Griffin, all players that were recently injured or out extended periods of time and have yet to prove their as healthy as Manu.

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
the only real problem i think the magic have and it really is only a small problem but Terry, Carter, and Johnson are all shooting guards;however, they are talented enough to play other positions.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
how many games did manu miss last season?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
looks like he only missed 7. I thought it was more. hm. health looks like its not as big a concern as it could be.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
looks like he only missed 7. I thought it was more. hm. health looks like its not as big a concern as it could be.
And one of those games was the last game of the season when Pops purposely sat him to rest him for the playoffs.

« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
manu has had 2 surgeries in 2 years. he's got to last at least 100 games, unless you plan on sweeping everyone on your way to a championship. manu ginobli as your third option is a substantial risk, nevermimd the fact that he's your first..
if manu can last an entire season then we can talk about how he's no longer an injury risk. until then, as a famous man once said, these are the breaks......
Didn't Manu just play an entire season and 10 games in the playoffs while having one of the 12 highest PERs in the league? He's played 85 games since his surgery and was playing better at the end of the year than he was at the beginning. To me, that signifies being healed and beyond his injury.

I don't know. I understand the injury concern for Bynum. Heck it's well placed. Manu, I just feel has proven he's beyond his one bad career injury and has proven as such and is no more or less injury prone than most players.

Just judging from some of the stuff I have read in the different threads I think Manu is getting aas large if not larger question mark put on him for injury than players like Yao, Przybilla, Oden, Josh Howard, KG, Gilbert Arenas, Kendrick Perkins, Tayshaun Prince, Brandon Roy, Mehmet Okur, Andrei Kirilenko and Blake Griffin, all players that were recently injured or out extended periods of time and have yet to prove their as healthy as Manu.

Ironically enough, part of the reason people have a misconception about Manu is because you were a pretty persuasive salesman that he was cooked last year, nick.  I'm glad you've found religion in this regard, because Manu is still a top-tier shooting guard.  He's lost a step, but not much of one.

I agree with your list, nick, and I'd add to it names like Kevin Martin, Chris Paul, and even Pau Gasol.  The concerns about Bynum are legitimate ones, but the only fear I have for Manu is age; I don't think he's any more injury prone than anybody else.  (I only mentioned injuries because it was such a bone of contention last year.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
the only real problem i think the magic have and it really is only a small problem but Terry, Carter, and Johnson are all shooting guards;however, they are talented enough to play other positions.

I think starting Vince Carter at small forward is more than a small problem.  Terry and Johnson can play either guard slot, but I don't think Vince can play big minutes at the three.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Mikki Moore was a rotation guy on lots of teams, even teams that made the playoffs. Just because he was terrible here, doesn't mean he wasn't servicable before he got here. Also, Mikki lacked my man's range.

Look again, he was a rotation player on one playoff team the NJN for one year. They were a .500 team and had Jason Kidd and Vince Carter.

Also I don't think a 32% 3 point shot is anything to write home about, Tolliver's eFG% is .486 that is not good for a PF!

All of this was also for the GSW....

« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Question for the Magic:
How will you defend post threats?

How many minutes will AK-47 see at what positions?

How strong of a rebounding team do you think your squad will be?

Who is your primary wing defender? If its Joe Johnson how will that mesh with his heavy offensive responsibilities of this squad?

« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Ironically enough, part of the reason people have a misconception about Manu is because you were a pretty persuasive salesman that he was cooked last year, nick.  I'm glad you've found religion in this regard, because Manu is still a top-tier shooting guard.  He's lost a step, but not much of one.

I agree with your list, nick, and I'd add to it names like Kevin Martin, Chris Paul, and even Pau Gasol.  The concerns about Bynum are legitimate ones, but the only fear I have for Manu is age; I don't think he's any more injury prone than anybody else.  (I only mentioned injuries because it was such a bone of contention last year.)
To be fair Roy, last year Manu was in the same boat that players like Josh Howard and others are this year. The concern last year was warranted. But after having the year he did I think he has proven that he is beyond the injury and people should stop painting him into the "injury problem/prone" corner.

« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Questions for Charlotte:

What offensive system do you plan on running?

Who's going to be your 6th man?

How well do you think your team will rebound the ball?

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Questions for the Heat:

How the heck is the triangle going to work? You have Steve Nash a player who is completely wasted in the triangle offense, additionally you only have one big man who has the proper skill set to be productive in it. (Odom)

How well will you rebound?

How will you defend post scorers? How will you defend enough to win?

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For whatever it's worth, if I were the Heat I'd take the position that Phil Jackson is a good enough coach to adapt to his personnel, and would scrap the triangle.