Author Topic: Haslem facing drug charges  (Read 14198 times)

Haslem facing drug charges
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Haslem was pulled over in a traffic stop and faces a drug charge (marijuana) after it was discovered in the stop.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Haslem facing drug charges
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
An NBA player smoking marijuana?  Say it ain't so! ;)

He'll get a slap on the wrist, presuming that he doesn't have a history of failed drug tests.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »

Offline Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Where's Roger Goodell? Let suspend him for the season David Stern...

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:19:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
I would be pretty surprised if he was not suspended for a game or two. If I am not mistaken players have been suspended a few games for dui's before, and marijuana usage is the same level of offense in terms of penalties in court. (I have no interest in getting into a debate about how bad marijuana is or isn't btw)

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

Kiorrik

Since I'm from Holland, I'm pretty cool with the use of weed, pot, marijuana.

It's used to mellow out, not to pick you up. So what's the big deal, especially in the off season?

... oh right, it's illegal over there :')

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400

It's used to mellow out, not to pick you up. So what's the big deal, especially in the off season?

haha

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's illegal over there too, if I'm not mistaken, just not enforced.

EDIT: Wiki sez:

Cannabis remains a controlled substance in the Netherlands and both possession and production for personal use are still misdemeanors, punishable by fine. Coffee shops are also technically illegal according to the statutes but, as has been said, are flourishing nonetheless. However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common, and because of this the courts have ruled against the government when individual cases were prosecuted.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »

Kiorrik

It's illegal over there too, if I'm not mistaken, just not enforced.

EDIT: Wiki sez:

Cannabis remains a controlled substance in the Netherlands and both possession and production for personal use are still misdemeanors, punishable by fine. Coffee shops are also technically illegal according to the statutes but, as has been said, are flourishing nonetheless. However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common, and because of this the courts have ruled against the government when individual cases were prosecuted.
Yep, that's about true.

The main thing is though, they allow it nonetheless. And believe me; it's a good thing. Everyone in Holland knows what it does, and knows how and when to use it. More importantly; kids get educated in the hazards of drug use in a very real way. We've had a former addict talk at our school, we've had biology classes about what it does to your body and what it does is pretty much common knowledge.

Since smoking marijuana is something that makes you slow, mellow, etc., it doesn't really *help* you for anything other than relaxing. This means people know not to use it when driving, not to use it when you have to go to school, etc etc. It happens, but I doubt it happens more than in other countries.

The best thing (imo) is that it regulates itself, because of the public stigmata drug-users tend to be subject to. You don't want to be known as a pot-head, but it's okay if you smoke a joint every now and then.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

Offline kofanis0880

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Jermaine Shaq and KG must be licking their chops.

If he misses game one, Big Z and Bosh may need some preparation H because something is going to be hurting.

Udonis Haslem Arrested
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:07:50 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I can't find any articles online... but it was just announced on SportsCenter that Udonis Haslem had been pulled over and was then arrested for possession of 20 grams of marijuana. In Miami/Dade county he could be facing 5 years in prison.

EDIT: Found an article!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5466256
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:12:52 AM by MattG12 »

Re: Udonis Haslem Arrested
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
D Wades Pippen ( of course not talent wise) :D

Not a good look for Miami..
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
lance stephenson was arrested very recently also.  too lazy to link
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:34:28 AM »

Offline hehateme22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
noooo way he gets 5 years for 20 grams that ridiculous. a oz is 28 grams and thats when it becomes a more serious matter. i know in MA if you have less than 28 grams its just a fine. And even before the new law it was just a probation thing. i know MIA is different but noo way he get 5 years for 20 grams, not even 20 oz's would do it, maybe 20 pounds. 

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:36 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
noooo way he gets 5 years for 20 grams that ridiculous. a oz is 28 grams and thats when it becomes a more serious matter. i know in MA if you have less than 28 grams its just a fine. And even before the new law it was just a probation thing. i know MIA is different but noo way he get 5 years for 20 grams, not even 20 oz's would do it, maybe 20 pounds. 

I'd be surprised if he served 5 weeks... after all Donte Stallworth got 30 days for murder. He was in Florida for that incident, I think...

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

He won't get 5 years, but in Florida at least, over 20 grams is a Third-Degree Felony and a very serious charge ... under 20 grams is only a Misdemeanor, and not anywhere near as serious. His buddy doesn't have to worry too much, but Haslem's got a big problem with this. The Heat are already paying dues for the craziness, I guess.  :P
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *