Author Topic: Haslem facing drug charges  (Read 14180 times)

Re: Haslem facing drug charges
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
Update: With the revelation that he had over 20 grams I would be shocked if he did did not get a lengthy suspension. This is a felony charge. This kind of throws out my earlier comparison because in most straight DUI charges (meaning no damage to other persons or properties) it is actually a misdemeanor and not a felony (our laywers can clarify this if they want but I tried to look it up on a few reputable sources. Also, while we all my be tempted to say its just pot so he won't get in trouble, that is simply not how the laws are written in this country for the most part. Finally, whatever your feelings are on pot I think we can all agree that it is extremely stupid for someone of Haslems stature to be driving around with this much pot. I can see being a little dumb and having a few joints on you, but we are talking about a low more then this with over grams....

Re: Udonis Haslem Arrested
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope he gets his punishment regardless of his status as a basketball player.

You break the law and get caught, then you pay your dues! regardless of who you are.

This is one situation where a Haslem will be treated like everybody else and still get a slap on the wrist, I think.

Roy there are two points I disagree with you on your post.
1) You would have to add the caveat that he will get treated like everyone else with the means to defend themselves. A lot of people whether its because they don't have proper education of the proper representation would end up with a longer sentence. (I could see this point starting a lengthy debate)
2) He won't get treated like everyone else with respect to his job. I don't know what percentage of jobs it actually is, but a very significant amount of people would flat out lose their job if they were caught with 20 grams of pot. A few years ago I worked in email and mobile marketing and my job really wasn't the typical job for being affected by marijuana. I was not operating machinary or responsible for anyone else's physical well being at the job or otherwise. You could even make an argument that pot would have "helped my creativity etc." Nonetheless I had to take a drug test and would have been fired if I was charged with marijuana posession. This was also in a very liberal city San Francisco.

With those two points, I'm not saying the consequences are deserved, but he definitely won't be treated like everyone else.

I do court-appointed criminal defense work, and from what I've seen, the vast majority of drug crimes -- especially related to possession -- result in fines and slaps on the wrist.  That includes felony charges.  Now, Maine isn't Florida, but I'd be surprised if the Florida prison system was full of people convicted on marijuana possession. 

I'd agree in general that the better attorney you have , the better your chances of success (with money going a long way towards securing that better attorney).  However, from my experience, the most DA's offices won't even push for felony sentences on possession charges.

In terms of people's employers, that varies, obviously.  My conjecture would be that most employers wouldn't care about a possession charge, but I can't really say that for certain.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
He's a nice backup 4 (not in BBDs league) hopefully it wasn't a Nate Newton amount and he gets a slap on the wrist.

He's not in BBD's league, this is true. He's about eight times better.

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
here's a pretty interesting read that talks about Haslem and Beasley. hmmmm....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436771-miami-smoke-session-udonis-haslem-deserves-same-treatment-as-beasley

- LilRip
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

You break the law and get caught, then you pay your dues! regardless of who you are.

This is one situation where a Haslem will be treated like everybody else and still get a slap on the wrist, I think.

1) You would have to add the caveat that he will get treated like everyone else with the means to defend themselves. A lot of people whether its because they don't have proper education of the proper representation would end up with a longer sentence. (I could see this point starting a lengthy debate)
2) He won't get treated like everyone else with respect to his job. I don't know what percentage of jobs it actually is, but a very significant amount of people would flat out lose their job if they were caught with 20 grams of pot. A few years ago I worked in email and mobile marketing and my job really wasn't the typical job for being affected by marijuana. I was not operating machinary or responsible for anyone else's physical well being at the job or otherwise. You could even make an argument that pot would have "helped my creativity etc." Nonetheless I had to take a drug test and would have been fired if I was charged with marijuana posession. This was also in a very liberal city San Francisco.

With those two points, I'm not saying the consequences are deserved, but he definitely won't be treated like everyone else.

I do court-appointed criminal defense work, and from what I've seen, the vast majority of drug crimes -- especially related to possession -- result in fines and slaps on the wrist.  That includes felony charges.  Now, Maine isn't Florida, but I'd be surprised if the Florida prison system was full of people convicted on marijuana possession. 

I'd agree in general that the better attorney you have , the better your chances of success (with money going a long way towards securing that better attorney).  However, from my experience, the most DA's offices won't even push for felony sentences on possession charges.

In terms of people's employers, that varies, obviously.  My conjecture would be that most employers wouldn't care about a possession charge, but I can't really say that for certain.

Roy I did remember that you practiced some Law, so knew I was bringing a slingshot into a gun fight so to speak. However, I still contend that at felony drug charges do have at least a significant chance of getting a sentence handed down. Let me know if your experience would agree or disagree with this article (I was focusing on the possession statistics and disregarding the traffic charges)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524483_10

As for the job thing I don't know how I could prove or disprove that point. I think we could agree there are some pretty obvious jobs like being a teacher, firefighter, cop, pilot and a lot of government jobs that would have mandatory dismissal for a felony drug charge. My friend that works in the Navy gets regular random testing and would almost certainly be dismissed with a felony drug charge. Finally, to compound matters, not only would a felony drug charge potentially cost you your current job, it will have severe ramifications on your future employment since every application I have filled out asked about any previous crime charges misdemeanor or above. Writing down felony drug charge would certainly not impress to many people...

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sad that Lebron's karma is already reaching out and touching those around him.  Good for us bad for MIA, I can  live with it.

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Roy I did remember that you practiced some Law, so knew I was bringing a slingshot into a gun fight so to speak. However, I still contend that at felony drug charges do have at least a significant chance of getting a sentence handed down. Let me know if your experience would agree or disagree with this article (I was focusing on the possession statistics and disregarding the traffic charges)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524483_10

As for the job thing I don't know how I could prove or disprove that point. I think we could agree there are some pretty obvious jobs like being a teacher, firefighter, cop, pilot and a lot of government jobs that would have mandatory dismissal for a felony drug charge. My friend that works in the Navy gets regular random testing and would almost certainly be dismissed with a felony drug charge. Finally, to compound matters, not only would a felony drug charge potentially cost you your current job, it will have severe ramifications on your future employment since every application I have filled out asked about any previous crime charges misdemeanor or above. Writing down felony drug charge would certainly not impress to many people...

The article is interesting, but keep in mind we're talking about people who are actually sentenced for felony possession.  As the article points out, the overwhelming majority of people arrested for possession (17 out of 18 arrests) are never sentenced for felony possession.

Again, different jurisdictions handle these things differently, but from my experience, a large majority of felony drug possession charges are plead down to misdemeanors.  If, for whatever reason, your charges are so severe that the DA won't accept a plea to a misdemeanor, then the statistics you showed suggest that people could do some serious time. 

However, I still stand by my argument that the overwhelming majority of folks charged with possession won't do time in jail.  (Running the numbers, 17 out of 18 people arrested for possession avoid a felony.  Of those who are convicted of felonies, roughly half do jail time.  So, 35 out of every 36 people arrested for marijuana do felony jail time.  My guess would be that the majority of those are repeat offenders.

(I'd also be curious to see if the statistics cited about prison sentences include suspended sentences.  A lot of times, somebody is given a lengthy sentence, but only does a small fraction of that. 

For some perspective:  last week I represented a client who was charged with two felonies and three misdemeanors, related to drug charges.  She was looking at 10 years.  She walked away with a 364 sentence, all but 30 days suspended.  That means that, assuming she stays clean while on probation, she'll do less than 30 days in jail [after credit for good behavior].  However, on the books it looks like a 364 day sentence.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

Offline Sizzlack

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Roy is right, this case almost 100% guaranteed will end up being plea bargained down to a misdemeanor. In exchange, Haslem will be required to pay some fines (like that'll matter to an NBA player) and log a lot of community service hours.

Courts love these pleas forcing professional athletes, or famous people in general to do youth outreach programs. Look what happened with Akon, he ended up with 2 years on a charge that anyone who wasn't famous would have gotten a minimum of 10.

Haslem will get a slap on the wrist, plea down to a Class A possession charge, pay some fines and do 500 hours community service, and it'll be like it never happened.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
His passenger admitted to the possession at the time of the stop, according to the police report. This looks like a test drive IMO.  Here's the link to the police report:

http://the305.com/2010/08/16/exclusive-udonis-haslem-police-report-and-it-clearly-states-it-wasnt-his-marijuana-yet-he-is-still-being-charged-read-page-4/

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 10:33:57 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
On a side note.  The C's should use this as a recruiting angle for potential FA's.  Something a long the lines of, come to Boston, it's only a ticket here, so feel free to smoke up.

How do you think we got Sheed last year  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Sad that Lebron's karma is already reaching out and touching those around him.  Good for us bad for MIA, I can  live with it.

Lol, yeah it was LeBron's weed... He had nothing to do with it.  ::)

He's a nice backup 4 (not in BBDs league) hopefully it wasn't a Nate Newton amount and he gets a slap on the wrist.

He's not in BBD's league, this is true. He's about eight times better.

That also made me laugh.  I wouldn't say Haslem is eight times better at all, but he's at least as good.  Seriously don't see how you could say that as someone who watches games.

Update: With the revelation that he had over 20 grams I would be shocked if he did did not get a lengthy suspension. This is a felony charge. This kind of throws out my earlier comparison because in most straight DUI charges (meaning no damage to other persons or properties) it is actually a misdemeanor and not a felony (our laywers can clarify this if they want but I tried to look it up on a few reputable sources. Also, while we all my be tempted to say its just pot so he won't get in trouble, that is simply not how the laws are written in this country for the most part. Finally, whatever your feelings are on pot I think we can all agree that it is extremely stupid for someone of Haslems stature to be driving around with this much pot. I can see being a little dumb and having a few joints on you, but we are talking about a low more then this with over grams....

We will see what Stern decides.  I'm not sure if he will care more about the law or more the conduct of what he did.  IMO a DUI is far, far worse than marijuana posession as far as conduct and blame you can place on someone, even if one is a midemeanor and one is a felony.  He had a decent amount on him, but not a ridiculous amount.  Around an ounce isn't like you're selling, people with money who smoke will have an ounce and smoke it with their boys, that's how it works.  In other places the penalties would be far less severe.  The DUI is exactly what it is, and just because there was no damage neccessarily to someone else it is something that could of happend.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:05:26 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't get why a grown man is cruising around at 3 AM smoking in the car like a teenager.  Not wise at all. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I don't get why a grown man is cruising around at 3 AM smoking in the car like a teenager.  Not wise at all. 

Correction - it was 3:13 PM - see the police report (linked above)

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

Correction - it was 3:13 PM - see the police report (linked above)

That's even worse.

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline Rondobaby

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
was marquis riding shotgun?  ;D
alwaysreppin.com