Author Topic: Jefferson to Jazz Deal is Done  (Read 24058 times)

Re: Jefferson to Jazz is done
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 04:07:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743
Should help Utah. Always liked Jefferson. Minnesota on the other hand looks bad again.

so how many of the players that we traded for KG are still in minny? zero?

None of the players involved in the trade (Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair) are still in Minnesota.

Only the players selected via the traded draft picks (Flynn and Ellington) are.

In retrospect that trade looks better and better for us, and worse for minny. I thought it was a good deal for them when it had happened, but it shows how much some of us (including me) overate our own guys.

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Big Al definitely deserves a chance to be on a winning team for once in his career.  That guy has lost more games than the Clippers!

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
In retrospect that trade looks better and better for us, and worse for minny. I thought it was a good deal for them when it had happened, but it shows how much some of us (including me) overate our own guys.

I don't agree.  Minny just made bad picks.  You also have to consider that Minny getting the 3rd pick in 2008 was directly related to the trade, as with KG, they are not that bad.

So, Minny could've still had:

Big Al
Gomes
Kevin Love instead of  a mid-round pick (or OJ Mayo, given that Love and Big Al play the same game).
Stephen Curry instead of Johnny Flynn

for KG.  That's a steal for Minny.  But, their mgt is so weak, they blew it.

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Interesting. As a result of the trade, Minnesota no longer has a single player making over $5 million a year.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68121/20100713/highest_paid_player_on_wolves_makes_less_than_$5m/

Seems appropriate, for a team that plays at Target Center.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:37 PM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
does this mean we could have had him for 2 1sts and sheeds deal???.....i am sick we didn't get him - steal for Utah, even if it's a bad fit in the rotation

How many 19/10 guys are there...that can create their own shot in post, which is so valuable down the stretch in tight games (sorry KG, Dwight, Duncan, Noah, Jermaine ONeil, etc, etc)

Should have been the C's PF for the next 6-8 years....boo, celtics fail, dislike!!!

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
does this mean we could have had him for 2 1sts and sheeds deal???.....i am sick we didn't get him - steal for Utah, even if it's a bad fit in the rotation

How many 19/10 guys are there...that can create their own shot in post, which is so valuable down the stretch in tight games (sorry KG, Dwight, Duncan, Noah, Jermaine ONeil, etc, etc)

Should have been the C's PF for the next 6-8 years....boo, celtics fail, dislike!!!

Trade exception was more valueable than sheed's deal which will require a buyout. PLus the celtics would have had to send Davis, leaving the C's with zero assets to use to get the backup wing they desperately need.

Patience. Sheed will be traded and the bench will be completed.

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 04:54:46 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Couldn't be more happy for Al Jefferson.  I hope he thrives with Williams as a point guard.

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Just became an even bigger Jazz fan.  8)

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Very happy for Big Al. Think he is a great guy; loved him while he was here.

Re: Rumor: Al Jefferson to Jazz
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Minnesota is a woebegone franchise.

Al Jefferson has a good opportunity in Utah and I hope he takes advantage of it and burns Gasol Bynum a time or two.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Big Al will respond well to Sloan.  I think his defense will improve and so will his offense.  Good for Big Al.

Re: Rumor: Al Jefferson to Jazz
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Really got to hand it to Utah...basically grabbed Al for nothing.  If (BIG if) he stays healthy, he's a double-double waiting to happen.  He only needs a solid defensive big man next to him.

And Utah didn't have to part with Ante Tomic to get him, which was pretty big as well (former 2nd rd. pick who is playing ball overseas - very talented player).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: Jefferson to Jazz Deal is Done
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:59 AM »

Offline im right

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
best part is....

Danny had a deal in place to send Paul to Portland for NVE team option contract (which would be declined) and the #3 pick in the 05 draft until Paul got wind and said he wouldn't play in Portland. Jackie MacMullan reported that Danny would have used the #3 pick on point Deron Williams over Chris Paul. The C's already had Jefferson in place from the 15th pick in 04.

So if the Jazz trade for DWest and sign Ricki Davis and win 4 or 5 championships in 8 years we will know the KG trade was a mistake.  8)
"I shoot close range like Danny Ainge"-Biggie Smalls

Re: Jefferson to Jazz Deal is Done
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743
best part is....

Danny had a deal in place to send Paul to Portland for NVE team option contract (which would be declined) and the #3 pick in the 05 draft until Paul got wind and said he wouldn't play in Portland. Jackie MacMullan reported that Danny would have used the #3 pick on point Deron Williams over Chris Paul. The C's already had Jefferson in place from the 15th pick in 04.

So if the Jazz trade for DWest and sign Ricki Davis and win 4 or 5 championships in 8 years we will know the KG trade was a mistake.  8)

LOL! and Wally too, don't forget about Wally.

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Big Al will respond well to Sloan.  I think his defense will improve and so will his offense.  Good for Big Al.
A no-nonsense, teamwork-oriented coach and a player who reportedly only cares about his points and rebounds, on a contender. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

I give them 1 month before they butt heads after Sloan politely explains to Al that the Jazz are bigger than Al Jefferson.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."