Author Topic: Jefferson to Jazz Deal is Done  (Read 24054 times)

Re: Rumor: Al Jefferson to Jazz
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I'd like to see Utah try to trade Kirilenko for Sam Dalembert.
Hmm, I think that could happen. Though since both are expiring I'm not sure what the Kings (that's where Sammy is now right?) would be interested.
I like the idea of Cousins at the five, Kirilenko at the four and Thompson as the main backup big. Then a fourth big to round the rotation. A nice quick lineup for Tyreke Evans to play alongside. Kirilenko would give them a nice Boris Diaw-like power forward there.

One problem with that idea -- Carl Landry

Neither player, Kirilenko or Dalembert, seems to fit into the Kings plans for next season. Not a realistic trade destination. Too many minutes locked up with Cousins, Landry and Thompson. Not enough room for another player like AK47 or Dalembert. Ah well. It could have been nice.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's too bad we can't step in here.

Rasheed's contract + LaFayette + Gaffney + BBD for Big Al

The first three contracts would come off the books, and BBD would see minutes in Minnesota (and is an expiring deal).

I mean, Minnesota is better off with BBD than $3 million in additional cap space, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

The first three contracts would come off the books, and BBD would see minutes in Minnesota (and is an expiring deal).

I mean, Minnesota is better off with BBD than $3 million in additional cap space, right?

That's a deal I'd give up my binky, BBD for.  My guess is Ainge doesn't want Big Al back, probably because of the injury history.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah they would be, but will the Jazz be throwing in picks for sweetner?

How many years left on Big Al's deal? Four right, since we signed Pierce to that long of a deal no reason to not try for Big Al. Unless he can't get back to being healthy  :(.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Why is it that I really like Al Jefferson, yet trading to get him back seems like a big mistake?...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This would be awesome for Utah. And it’d really be awesome for Al’s career, Deron will really hook him up.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why is it that I really like Al Jefferson, yet trading to get him back seems like a big mistake?...

Cause he’s a bad defender.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
You really like him because. he's an old school back to the basket post machine.
Getting him back is a big mistake because this team wins based on defense, and he's not great in that respect. Probably also because you know he would get hurt as soon as he came here.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Wow, they seriously traded Al Jefferson for 2 1st rounders that probably won't sniff the lottery (I assume the Grizz pick is protected) and the ability to sign Luke Ridnour. Someone put this gm out of his misery.

Going to be good for Big Al. I've always thought he can be especially effective in the pick and roll because of his hands, jumper and quickness. What a situation for him. Might fit better than Boozer.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
It's done.

SpearsNBAYahoo
Y! Sports story: Jazz to acquire Al Jefferson in trade from Minny today for 2 first round picks and trade exception. http://yhoo.it/d1k9hw
4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
You really like him because. he's an old school back to the basket post machine.
Getting him back is a big mistake because this team wins based on defense, and he's not great in that respect. Probably also because you know he would get hurt as soon as he came here.

See, I knew you guys (evantime & xmuscular) would help fill in my thoughts!! :)

You nailed them perfectly...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Nice move for Minny - they were done with Al Jefferson anyways, freed his salary (which for them was a burden), and got two firsts. He was a depressed asset and they still got near full value. Also probably a good move for MinnyUtah.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Nice move for Minny - they were done with Al Jefferson anyways, freed his salary (which for them was a burden), and got two firsts. He was a depressed asset and they still got near full value. Also probably a good move for Minny.

He was a depressed asset because they had tons of pf's and openly admitted he was on the market. This was horrible gm'ing. Near full value? I'd call it more along the lines of 20 cents on the dollar.

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So, does Min turn around and look to trade the Trade Exception and a pick to get a starting C? 

Beidrins and another player from GS perhaps?

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
So, does Min turn around and look to trade the Trade Exception and a pick to get a starting C? 

Beidrins and another player from GS perhaps?
Haven't they used cap space to sign players? Doesn't that mean they cannot use the trade exception?