Author Topic: Celtics looking at wings, losing some confidence on resigning Ray  (Read 9596 times)

Re: Celtics looking at wings, losing some confidence on resigning Ray
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
sorry, but ray's not this irreplaceable guy anymore.  if he leaves, he leaves.  we'll move one and we'll be fine.

That'd be true if this we were the Red Sox where we could simply replace his leaving salary with a new player or we were the Patriots and could cut players to free up salary, but if Ray walks we're only going to have the MLE and Sheed's trade exception to try to replace Ray, Perk, and Rasheed.  

So for our intents and purposes, Ray is irreplaceable.  

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
sorry, but ray's not this irreplaceable guy anymore.  if he leaves, he leaves.  we'll move one and we'll be fine.

Tell me who we'll replace Ray with then.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:36 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

LOL...  yeah, okay.  well, there are a LOT of options via trade, free agents... 

Ray is one child illness or 7 game cold streak away from an average player.

He's a nice player, but he's on the downside.  If he comes back, fine.  But some here act like the rug just got pulled out from under us if he goes.  I'm not in that camp.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 05:41:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The main thing he offers that the C's need is shooting, and that is not all that hard to replace.  Sure, he does other things well, and that's a bonus, but his role is 'shooter'.

It's not like he's an all-star or anything.  Those days are behind him, and getting smaller in the mirrors each day.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:05 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Ray is one child illness or 7 game cold streak away from an average player.

He's a nice player, but he's on the downside.  If he comes back, fine.  But some here act like the rug just got pulled out from under us if he goes.  I'm not in that camp.

What free agents please tell me and who are we going to get to replace Ray through a trade?

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 06:01:24 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Sure, Ray has shown that he is becoming more and more streaky as he ages (it's almost all or nothing with him now) but people who think that him leaving wouldn't kill us are either blind or really optimistic. Sure, theorically you can replace a shooter by a shooter, but would you really feel good if Ray was replaced by, say, J.J Redick?

Not to mention all the difficulties to get a really good shooter considering our tight financial situation.

Considering how bad our offense has looked all year long (and especially in some games/stretches during the playoffs), envisioning it without Ray to create some space is just an horrific vision... if he leaves, we're in big, big trouble so I hope he doesn't.

Regardless of the fact that he is my favorite player, Ray is a key piece in this team that often gets overlooked. He creates spacing. A lot of spacing, actually, and nobody else on this team creates spacing like he does. Imagine a starting 5 of Rondo/TA/Pierce/KG/Perk (when healthy). The lack of shooting/spacing would absolutely kill us. And a guy like Redick would improve this situation but clearly wouldn't bring what Ray brought.

To me, Ray is as crucial as Rondo for this team, so if he leaves... ouch.

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

I'd be fine if they could bring in Mike Miller.  He'll give you the same production from the perimeter and provide rebounding (6.2) as well.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 06:06:10 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think if Ray leaves we’ll be able to survive. i’m not a fan of the JJ Reddick plan because he’s just a shooter and a very lackluster defender. I’d like a shooting guard who is a little bit more of a complete guy.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Ray leaves, not only will we need a starting SG, we'll also need a legit backup PG.

Ray was instrumental to the second unit's ability to actually run the offense. He's a very good yet underrated playmaker/passer/ball handler.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
If Ray leaves, not only will we need a starting SG, we'll also need a legit backup PG.

Ray was instrumental to the second unit's ability to actually run the offense. He's a very good yet underrated playmaker/passer/ball handler.

I would actually love Ray to be the 6th man for this team, but regardless that, if we want to make one more run with this core then we have got to bring back Ray as he is a very essential part of the group.

DA needs to find a solid backup that spells Pierce + Allen, who can provide consistent offense so these 2 don't get gassed out by playing too many mins.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:35 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

I'd be fine if they could bring in Mike Miller.  He'll give you the same production from the perimeter and provide rebounding (6.2) as well.

I would to but we're not getting Mike Miller and Mike Miller has not been good the last two years.  Ray is the best three point shooter in the league.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

He played well with the second unit.  He was also the best decoy in the game, with all that running around off of screens.

I read somewhere that Randy Foye didn't get a QO, and is consequently an unrestricted FA.  I think he'd be a decent addition.  In his career stuck on losing teams, he was asked to do different things at different times, rather than being a good complementary player and playing to his strengths (like much of TA's career).  I think he'd be a good option for reasonable money.

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Mike Miller rejected a max MLE deal from the Lakers. Why should he accept one from us?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 06:21:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This sounds a lot like saying "I have no idea whatsoever".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike Miller rejected a max MLE deal from the Lakers. Why should he accept one from us?

I'm not saying he'll sign a max MLE deal with anyone, but one reason he'd sign with us if Ray was leaving was for more playing time than LA would offer.