Author Topic: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith  (Read 12355 times)

Re: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Keep dreaming. Celtics have no one to offer.

How about the only NBA player who has proven he can defend the best player in their division 1-on-1, and a guy who comes off the books the day after you get him? This is the Hawks....

You trade Perk and Sheed, move KG to center, and play Smith at PF. The Hawks can then move Horford back to his natural position -- PF -- and use Zaza until Perk gets back.

Why move KG to center when he doesn't like playing center?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3

How about the only NBA player who has proven he can defend the best player in their division 1-on-1, and a guy who comes off the books the day after you get him? This is the Hawks....

You trade Perk and Sheed, move KG to center, and play Smith at PF. The Hawks can then move Horford back to his natural position -- PF -- and use Zaza until Perk gets back.

Is it possible to trade an injured player (Perk) to another team?? I didn't think it was possible...
Let's Go Celtics!!

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Why move KG to center when he doesn't like playing center?

Is this a serious question? Because it would make the team better. If players never did anything they didn't like, every team would be the Warriors.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Atlanta should try to get Bosh in a sign and trade. Offer Josh Smith and Jamal Crawford as bait.

A trio of Bosh, Johnson and Horford would be formidable.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Here's another interesting note on the subject -- see the part about their desire to add a "bulky" center.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/07/05/atlanta-hawks-shaq-open-to-joining-hawks/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Do you have a link to this rumor from Hoopshype?  I don't see it.

ditto

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=NBA

Looks like Hawks are packaging him with 2 other players to get an elite pg. I guess there goes our chance of trying to get him for Sheed + Baby.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Hawks have been exploring trades for Josh Smith according to hoopshype... I would love to have Smith here even if it means playing him at SF and moving Pierce to SG. Smith would be a perfect complement to Rondo and I couldnt imagine the defense with him and KG.

Sign and trade with Ray for Smith?

Sheeds contract and BBD a pick or two for Smith?

I dont think the second offer would be enough but the Hawks might be looking to gain some cap space with the Johnson signing. I think they would love to put Ray into that lineup though.

Well, now that they have resigned Johnson, I don't think Ray is an option.  However, I would be offering Perk and Sheed with a first round pick (or even two) for Smith. 

Smith would be a great fit with Rondo, and could transform this team into a real up tempo team quickly. 

And if Atlanta wants any chance of ever beating the Magic, they would likely be very interested in Perk. 

This would allow them to move Horford and/or Williams to PF, and become more of a traditional, grind it out type team. 

I think this is a bit crazy off of the year Smith had, but if he is on the block, I think that is at least a reasonable offer.

Sheed's contract + Perk + a pick would be the best package we could offer IMO. The get a legit Center and Horford could move to PF where's he's most comfortable.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Hawks have been exploring trades for Josh Smith according to hoopshype... I would love to have Smith here even if it means playing him at SF and moving Pierce to SG. Smith would be a perfect complement to Rondo and I couldnt imagine the defense with him and KG.

Sign and trade with Ray for Smith?

Sheeds contract and BBD a pick or two for Smith?

I dont think the second offer would be enough but the Hawks might be looking to gain some cap space with the Johnson signing. I think they would love to put Ray into that lineup though.

Sorry, I don't think Paul can play the 2 anymore. He's a lot more muscular and well, older than he was a few a years ago when he played the 2. Plus, why move Smith out of position when he's thrived at the 4? IMO, he's split equal minutes with KG. Hell I might even start him over KG. We will never get him though. Until Chris Wallace becomes Atlanta's GM it just won't happen. Why would they want to trade their third legitimate All-Star caliber player anyway? If the starters on the All-Star team wasn't a popularity contest, Smith would have been on that roster, as much as I hate to have three Hawks on that team!

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Looks like Hawks are packaging him with 2 other players to get an elite pg. I guess there goes our chance of trying to get him for Sheed + Baby.

I don't get this. The contracts discussed here total around $17-$18 million. What elite point guard is out there with that kind of price tag?

Why not simply offer Bibby and some filler to Toronto for Calderon? Or Marvin Williams in a S&T for Ray Felton?

Smith does not need to be involved, unless there are personality issues. And now that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors, there will be.

While the rest of the league plays chess, the Hawks' front office is barely comfortable with the rudimentary elements of checkers.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

I think the idea would be that the Hawks need to move him for financial reasons and we might be able to offer that with Sheed's contract....

...or this would be the final addition to the team that gets Lebron and one of his friends (LeBron/Wade/Smith).......

If anything the Knicks should jump on this with both legs.
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't get this. The contracts discussed here total around $17-$18 million. What elite point guard is out there with that kind of price tag?

Why not simply offer Bibby and some filler to Toronto for Calderon? Or Marvin Williams in a S&T for Ray Felton?

Smith does not need to be involved, unless there are personality issues. And now that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors, there will be.

While the rest of the league plays chess, the Hawks' front office is barely comfortable with the rudimentary elements of checkers.

First off, that just speculates that they're looking to add a PG. But the Hawks seem to be looking at more options than just PG.

Secondly, trading Smith for some financial flexibility will allow them to lock up Horford next offseason. And Horford is a PF, he plays out of position at the C spot - he's said publicly he wants to play PF but he can't because what are they gonna do with Smith. Seems they've decided to move forward with Horford and will see if they can fill some gaps with whatever they get for Smith.

It's not as dumb of a move as it seems to be at first glance.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

First off, that just speculates that they're looking to add a PG. But the Hawks seem to be looking at more options than just PG.

Secondly, trading Smith for some financial flexibility will allow them to lock up Horford next offseason. And Horford is a PF, he plays out of position at the C spot - he's said publicly he wants to play PF but he can't because what are they gonna do with Smith. Seems they've decided to move forward with Horford and will see if they can fill some gaps with whatever they get for Smith.

It's not as dumb of a move as it seems to be at first glance.

So do we have a shot?

I mean we can give them Sheed and his contract will allow them to get the financial flexibility that they want + we would package Baby in the trade as well, but I doubt Atl would want to take on Baby.

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This morning David Aldridge and Sekou Smith began to hedge on the Josh Smith trade talk.

Quote from: David Aldridge
There have been murmurs that the Hawks are shopping forward Josh Smith, who had one of his best seasons last year. However, a source with knowledge of the Hawks' thinking said that the team would only contemplate moving Smith for a major, star player at power forward.

...Also on the Shaq to Atlanta rumors and the Horford to power forward chatter.

Quote from: David Aldridge
The Hawks' interest in the 38-year-old O'Neal is "preliminary" and that the team, no matter what big man it brings in, has no intention of moving All-Star center Al Horford to power forward in any scenario.

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 12:49:02 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Would Atlanta consider Kevin Garnett for Josh Smith and Zaza Pachulia?   

Would you?   I probably wouldn't do it, but I probably would consider it.