Author Topic: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith  (Read 12354 times)

Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hawks have been exploring trades for Josh Smith according to hoopshype... I would love to have Smith here even if it means playing him at SF and moving Pierce to SG. Smith would be a perfect complement to Rondo and I couldnt imagine the defense with him and KG.

Sign and trade with Ray for Smith?

Sheeds contract and BBD a pick or two for Smith?

I dont think the second offer would be enough but the Hawks might be looking to gain some cap space with the Johnson signing. I think they would love to put Ray into that lineup though.

Re: Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • B's Up
rondo and smith played highschool ball together so it would be nice to see them together again. with the high flying smith and rondo on fast breaks i can only dream of what they could do.
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Keep dreaming. Celtics have no one to offer.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Hawks have been exploring trades for Josh Smith according to hoopshype... I would love to have Smith here even if it means playing him at SF and moving Pierce to SG. Smith would be a perfect complement to Rondo and I couldnt imagine the defense with him and KG.

I dont think the second offer would be enough but the Hawks might be looking to gain some cap space with the Johnson signing. I think they would love to put Ray into that lineup though.

Smith would be a perfect addition, but ATL would have to be crazy to hand him over to an EC rival.

as for Ray, why would he agree to go to ATL?

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
As much as I would love to have Josh Smith on board, I don't think we have anything to offer.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I think the idea would be that the Hawks need to move him for financial reasons and we might be able to offer that with Sheed's contract....

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think the idea would be that the Hawks need to move him for financial reasons and we might be able to offer that with Sheed's contract....

If anything the Knicks should jump on this with both legs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

Smith would be a perfect addition, but ATL would have to be crazy to hand him over to an EC rival.

as for Ray, why would he agree to go to ATL?

Why would ATL need Ray when they are giving Johnson 120mil?
I would believe that's the reason they would be looking to trim salary.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:56:42 PM by rkls134 »

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I agree Smith is a pipe dream, but I do think that Marvin Williams could be had for Sheed's contract and filler.  I think the Hawks would like to shed some salary after overpaying for JJ.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »

Offline falconj

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
we really don't have much to offer

almost impossible for them to even consider without give out rondo

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Let's face it the only reason they are thinking of trading Smith is to clear money to be able to eventually lock up Al Horford long term and move him to his more natural PF position, which he has already publicly said he wants to do.

While I agree that NY should be all over this because the could just send a trade exception and could lower the Hawks salary level, they do not have the other thing the Hawks want, first round draft picks. The earliest first round pick the Knicks could hand over is their 2014 first round draft pick and then only if their 2012 pick is outside the top 5. Heck the best pick the Knicks could turn over to the Hawks is their 2012 2nd rounder as they don't even have a second rounder next year.

A Celtic trade of Glen Davis, Rasheed Wallace(who then retires), Tony Gafney and Oliver LaFayette(who then both get cut) and the Celtics' 2011 1st round pick and 2012 2nd round pick for Josh Smith and the rights to Jordan Crawford(who would be no longer needed in Atlanta).

Atlanta can then start Zaza Pachulia at center Horford at PF and can use Baby as their 7th man and play him 30 MPG playing alongside both Zaza(as a PF) and Horford( as a center). They also clear $7.7 million in salary that they can use for money allocated for Horford's contract extension which will need to get done before the lockout happens. The also pick up 2 draft picks.

The C's meanwhile rebuild and reload at the same time. Smith starts at PF next to KG playing center until Perk comes back and then goes to the bench as a super sub and 6th man that would easily make him the Celtics most dangerous player, if used right. They lose next year's pick but gain Crawford who many scouts said might have been the best pure scorer in last month's draft. A Crawford/Bradley backcourt is a promising thing as they develop and play together until the Big Three retire.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:10:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't like small PFs.  Especially ones that make that much money.

And he doesn't shoot well enough to be a SF. 

Yes, he is very talented.   I just don't think it easy to win with a small PF.  (unless it was Rodman in his prime, and Smith is no Rodman)

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:06 AM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Let's face it the only reason they are thinking of trading Smith is to clear money to be able to eventually lock up Al Horford long term and move him to his more natural PF position, which he has already publicly said he wants to do.

While I agree that NY should be all over this because the could just send a trade exception and could lower the Hawks salary level, they do not have the other thing the Hawks want, first round draft picks. The earliest first round pick the Knicks could hand over is their 2014 first round draft pick and then only if their 2012 pick is outside the top 5. Heck the best pick the Knicks could turn over to the Hawks is their 2012 2nd rounder as they don't even have a second rounder next year.

A Celtic trade of Glen Davis, Rasheed Wallace(who then retires), Tony Gafney and Oliver LaFayette(who then both get cut) and the Celtics' 2011 1st round pick and 2012 2nd round pick for Josh Smith and the rights to Jordan Crawford(who would be no longer needed in Atlanta).

Atlanta can then start Zaza Pachulia at center Horford at PF and can use Baby as their 7th man and play him 30 MPG playing alongside both Zaza(as a PF) and Horford( as a center). They also clear $7.7 million in salary that they can use for money allocated for Horford's contract extension which will need to get done before the lockout happens. The also pick up 2 draft picks.

The C's meanwhile rebuild and reload at the same time. Smith starts at PF next to KG playing center until Perk comes back and then goes to the bench as a super sub and 6th man that would easily make him the Celtics most dangerous player, if used right. They lose next year's pick but gain Crawford who many scouts said might have been the best pure scorer in last month's draft. A Crawford/Bradley backcourt is a promising thing as they develop and play together until the Big Three retire.

Awesome breakdown on how we can get it done, Tp.

Make it happen DA.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Josh Smith on the Celtics. But i really don't like the idea of giving up BBD. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but I would try very hard to keep him.

And NYK should not be all over this because then they would be stuck with 2 PF's in their starting lineup. A team with Amare at C will not be a serious contender in the east, especially since he is almost sure to be their best player with the contract they gave him.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »

Offline ducksawce

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 14

Awesome outline!  I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.

If there were any way the Celtics could get Josh Smith, then they'd be crazy not to jump on the opportunity immediately.  The Hawks were a thorn in this Celtic team's side all year partly because of this guy.  He's a potent offensive threat from all over the floor, and his athleticism is off the charts.  More importantly, he's a defensive beast.

I never thought he was used correctly in Atlanta...and the organization's insistence upon elevating Horford's prevalence and usage rate in their offensive regime surely jives with that notion. 

In Boston, he'd thrive on the fast break with Rondo.  There aren't too many players that are more unstoppable on the fast break (short of Lebron as a finisher...or Rajon as an initiator!) than Josh Smith.  He'd also be ideal as a pure defensive stopper.  Just imagine having a defensive big trio of KG, Perk and Smith.  Scary as hell....eat THAT LA.

By all means, if Atlanta is exploring trades for Josh Smith (especially for financial reasons), then Boston should be there to offer some trade solutions.