Author Topic: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's  (Read 18670 times)

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I’d love to see Gomes come back! If we’re going to get back Ray, then either Nate or TA (or both) we’ll have a nice guard rotation. We’re gonna go after a big man, then we have KG, Perk, BBD, and Harangody. Ryan would be the last piece, a 3/4 who can spell Pierce and provide minutes as a big as well.

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  
That is a real possibility. I think Miller will cost around $2 million. Gomes $3-4 million. A little wiggle room on both players costs ... but Danny should be able to, financially, get them both to sign if he wishes to.

Edit: I'm not that interested in this combination myself. Never liked Gomes, too much of a tweener, not a two position player but a player who is stuck between two positions. Not wild about Brad Miller either, too large a decline last season to trust him next season.

I would be happier with someone like Dorell Wright for the same money Gomes would cost. Someone like Johan Petro to take potential Miller's job. Add James Singleton to replace Scalabrine and Josh Powell to replace Shelden Williams. Try to sign Ben Wallace to cover Perk's injured few months and then go back to being a fourth big in the rotation afterwards (otherwise Kwame Brown).

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  
That is a real possibility. I think Miller will cost around $2 million. Gomes $3-4 million. A little wiggle room on both players costs ... but Danny should be able to, financially, get them both to sign if he wishes to.

Edit: I'm not that interested in this combination myself. Never liked Gomes, too much of a tweener, not a two position player but a player who is stuck between two positions. Not wild about Brad Miller either, too large a decline last season to trust him next season.

I would be happier with someone like Dorell Wright for the same money Gomes would cost. Someone like Johan Petro to take potential Miller's job. Add James Singleton to replace Scalabrine and Josh Powell to replace Shelden Williams. Try to sign Ben Wallace to cover Perk's injured few months and then go back to being a fourth big in the rotation afterwards (otherwise Kwame Brown).

I think Miller's still got more value than that.

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I agree.  Miller should command $3-4 mill.  I think even the vet min for a guy with his years is more than $2 mill.  Oh, and Who, I followed you fine until the very end when you brought up Kwame Brown, at which point I felt a little nauseous.

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wright and Petro are essentially worthless as NBA players, and certainly have no business being in the rotation of a team who's trying to win it all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract. 

I agree.  Miller should command $3-4 mill.  I think even the vet min for a guy with his years is more than $2 mill.  Oh, and Who, I followed you fine until the very end when you brought up Kwame Brown, at which point I felt a little nauseous.
Yeah, I know nobody likes Kwame Brown but he is the best defender + rebounder (as a physical center) on the free agent list under $5 million outside of Ben Wallace.

The truth of the matter is that Kwame would make a fine interim starter while Perkins is out and a good backup center.

Kwame Brown is also one of the better low post defenders in the league so he's a good guy to be able to throw at LA or Orlando.

Kwame Brown is not a sexy name but he is a good temporary signing who can plug a hole for Perkins and give Boston a solid backup center and fourth big in the depth chart. Someone who provides real size (6-11, 270lbs, quick, strong, long) and someone who can be signed on a cost-effective contract.

---------------------------------------------------

I don't see Brad Miller getting more than $2-3 million and I think he would accept $2 million to play with a contender.

The veteran minimum for a player of Brad's experience is $1.35 million

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I've never seen Gomes play, but from what I've heard about him on these boards and by looking at his stats I think he would be a great addition to the current roster and he would be welcomed back by the fans and management.

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 05:51:33 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Better to pursue Mike Miller with all or most of the midlevel and Barbosa/Fernandez in trade scenarios. Then add Shaq and another Veteran center for the minimum until Perk comes back.

The only other thing I find acceptable in all this roster speculation is the addition of David Lee via a sign and trade of Ray Allen. Keeping Ray would also suit me fine.

These are all better moves than adding Ryan Gomes IMO.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract. 

Yeah, I know nobody likes Kwame Brown but he is the best defender + rebounder (as a physical center) on the free agent list under $5 million outside of Ben Wallace.

The truth of the matter is that Kwame would make a fine interim starter while Perkins is out and a good backup center.

Kwame Brown is also one of the better low post defenders in the league so he's a good guy to be able to throw at LA or Orlando.

Kwame Brown is not a sexy name but he is a good temporary signing who can plug a hole for Perkins and give Boston a solid backup center and fourth big in the depth chart. Someone who provides real size (6-11, 270lbs, quick, strong, long) and someone who can be signed on a cost-effective contract.

I don't see Brad Miller getting more than $2-3 million and I think he would accept $2 million to play with a contender.

Hard to believe Kwame's already got 10 years in the league: kwame's been Kwame longer than Darko's been Darko!

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Gomes is too similar to Baby in my opinion.
Given that Gomes is a SF and not a PF, I don't see how they're similar at all.

Because Gomes plays both positions. You'd pick him up to play him only when Pierce is off the floor? Guess he wouldn't play much.
I'll pick him up to play whenever I can, which obviously depends on who the other team is and what they do.

By the way, if there are less than 15 minutes to play behind Pierce next season, we're not moving past round 2 on the playoffs.

The problem is that we need someone at the 2 or 3 spots that Doc feels comfortable leaving out there for extended periods.  At times TA was that guy, but too often still (though much improved) he made stupid mistakes or wasn't enough of a scoring threat.  I really think we need a guy who can flat-out put it in the bucket when he's out there. 

Gomes is not that guy.  He scores, but as a product of the offense, not when it breaks down.  I could be OK with someone like Mike Miller and Ryan Gomes, and not bringing back TA; however, if Gomes is going to cost part of the MLE, we're not getting someone like Miller.  The advantage of TA is that we can bring him back at more than minimum money without touching the MLE.  Not so with Gomes. 

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Hard to believe Kwame's already got 10 years in the league: kwame's been Kwame longer than Darko's been Darko!
Everyone gets so hung up on what those guys aren't (All Stars) that they miss what they are... I wonder if Kwame had been drafted mid teens and played on solid teams if he'd have such a bad rap - probably not, same for Darko. Their draft positions should be indictments of the GMs and organizations, not of the players.

My problem with Gomes is not that he's a tweener or not athletic at the SF or not tall enough for the PF, it's that he is not a great compliment to a team with Pierce and Allen as their starting wings. Neither has great athleticism. I assume if he signed Gomes he'd backup Pierce (15 MPG), get some PF minutes (5 MPG), and get some minutes with Pierce at the SG spot (5 MPG). That would be a great value and really be enough run to get him a shot at 6th man... the problem is Gomes has done his best work as backup PF, and whenever he is in at the wings, we lack a lot of athleticism.

Gomes is a solid missing piece for a contending team, just not the BOS Celtics' missing piece.

BTW - I think all the MLE or less guys will be saying how they'd love play in city XYZ - those guys will feel the crunch as other big ticket FAs get nabbed up and they'll want options open.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Who, the nausea is because I think you're probably right.  As it stands, Ainge will have to bring in saomebody close to washed up (B. Miller or Dampier) or a bust (Kwame) just to get a live big body to get through the first half of the year.  However, if ainge could manage to use the MLe and Sheed's contract to bring in a legit big man with further upside then maybe we don't have ot bother with signing a vet center until all the other deals are done.

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Gomes. Proven NBA skills. Gaffney. No NBA minutes. Thanks, but I'll take Gomes.

It's not always as simple as that.  What if it takes 4 years/$16 million to lock up Gomes?  What is the longest/biggest contract you are willing to give Gomes?

3 yrs 12 mil, or 4 yrs 14 mil. Nothing more. That puts him through PP's contract. If he earns it we can extend later. If not then it isn't a killer.

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I'd love to have Gomes back but at a good price. Maybe he'll take the vet min and give us a hometown discount even though we traded him away.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Gomes. Proven NBA skills. Gaffney. No NBA minutes. Thanks, but I'll take Gomes.

It's not always as simple as that.  What if it takes 4 years/$16 million to lock up Gomes?  What is the longest/biggest contract you are willing to give Gomes?

3 yrs 12 mil, or 4 yrs 14 mil. Nothing more. That puts him through PP's contract. If he earns it we can extend later. If not then it isn't a killer.

NO interest whatsoever at those prices.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."