Author Topic: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's  (Read 18703 times)

Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
 I saw this over on the realgm board

If the Celts bring both Pierce and Allen back, Ainge can work on signing the six or seven additional players to fill out his roster

Gomes, who earned $3.6 million this past year, said he has an open mind about where he may land. However, the Celtics, who made him the 50th pick of the 2005 draft, do hold a special place in his heart

“I’d love a three- or four-year deal and I know I can be a piece on a good team,” Gomes said“Boston would be a great situation if things fall into place. I loved Doc Rivers as a coach and all of my friends in Connecticut and at Providence would like to see me play there. We’ll see.”“

I’m looking for some stability in my life,” he said. “I know it won’t happen right away because this free agent period will be a frenzy, but it should be fun for me. I’m available. I’m looking forward to seeing things work out in my best interests.

It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  

Then try and do a S+T for Anthony Morrow or Trade for Rudy Fernandez with Sheeds contract.

2010 Roster

PG: Rondo / Vet min or Bradley
SG: Ray.    / Morrow ,Fernandez, or Redick ( whoever we can get for sheed)
SF: PP.      / TA or Gomes
Pf:KG.      / Gomes / Harongody
 C: Miller / BBD/ Perk( hopefully back for the last 20 games of the regular season)

That is a very balanced team . They have lock down defenders on the perimiter, they have shooting plenty of experience. That would be the best  possible off-season moves IMO.

I love the hustle gomes plays with
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:16:44 PM by rondohondo »

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joinging the C's
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i'd LOVE gomes to come back home!

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joinging the C's
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:04:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he could be a solid option, I'm not sure he fits with the teams current needs though.

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:54 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Gaffney!!!

Less $$$, shorter deal, better D

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gaffney!!!

Gaffney has yet to prove he can do anything at the NBA level.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Gaffney!!!

Gomes. Proven NBA skills. Gaffney. No NBA minutes. Thanks, but I'll take Gomes.

How do you know his defense is better when he hasn't played a minute in the NBA. Sorry, but Gomes is a solid bench player and borderline starter. Gaffney is just potential. We need solid if we are going to make one or two more runs at this, not upside.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Always liked Gomes.  He is good in many areas and has high BBIQ.  His outside shot has improved considerably since he came into the league.  I think he realized some time ago that he is not built to play the 4 in the NBA, so he's worked hard on becoming a 3, and done well.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Gomes. Proven NBA skills. Gaffney. No NBA minutes. Thanks, but I'll take Gomes.

It's not always as simple as that.  What if it takes 4 years/$16 million to lock up Gomes?  What is the longest/biggest contract you are willing to give Gomes?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

If the Celts bring both Pierce and Allen back, Ainge can work on signing the six or seven additional players to fill out his roster

Gomes, who earned $3.6 million this past year, said he has an open mind about where he may land. However, the Celtics, who made him the 50th pick of the 2005 draft, do hold a special place in his heart

“I’d love a three- or four-year deal and I know I can be a piece on a good team,” Gomes said“Boston would be a great situation if things fall into place. I loved Doc Rivers as a coach and all of my friends in Connecticut and at Providence would like to see me play there. We’ll see.”“

I’m looking for some stability in my life,” he said. “I know it won’t happen right away because this free agent period will be a frenzy, but it should be fun for me. I’m available. I’m looking forward to seeing things work out in my best interests.

It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  

Then try and do a S+T for Anthony Morrow or Trade for Rudy Fernandez with Sheeds contract.

2010 Roster

C: Miller / BBD/ Perk( hopefully back for the last 20 games of the regular season)

That is a very balanced team . They have lock down defenders on the perimiter, they have shooting plenty of experience. That would be the best  possible off-season moves IMO.

That bench is quite defensively weak.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
sign him up

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I've got a soft spot in my heart for Gomes, but my head tells me that the C's need to address some roster issues before they think about him. Deal with C and SG first, then think about Ryan.

Now, I would love the C's to sign Gomes for the vet min for two years. After which, the C's would have Early Bird Rights on him and could sign him to a bigger contract (if he proves worth it). Danny could do that deal /right now/ but I doubt Ryan would take it right now.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I was hoping to get a 6th man-type with our MLE, but with the way money is being thrown around, I doubt we'll get an impact player.  In that case, I'd consider splitting it, giving Gomes the security he wants at a price that we can live with for 4 or perhaps even 5 years, perhaps starting at $2.5 with incentives up to $3 million/year.

Why?

I was hoping for a 6th man/leader of the 2nd unit, but think that either one of the starters would have to play with the 2nd group, as we tend to do in the playoffs anyway.  In that case, we're looking for versatile 7th and 8th-rotation spot guys who can complement a variety of starters for a variety of lineup possibilities that involve them.  Gomes sort of works like this, as he could make the team more quick by playing PF, big by playing SF next to two other bigs, or really big if he's at SF and PP is at SG, and his 3pt range opens up the floor for anyone else, i.e. nate, rondo, ray, paul, or a post player.  Any way we want to go, a player like Gomes will fit in, and that's certainly worth half the MLE if we're forced to split it or overpay someone else.

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Vet minimum or I'm not interested. NO way I'd go four years and 16 large for Ryan Gomes. Absolutely no wayh.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Gomes is too similar to Baby in my opinion. Gomes is more well rounded with longer shooting range (can hit threes), shoots FT well, doesn't turn the ball over, rebounds. Baby is a better finisher, a tenacious rebounder and more physical defender. The problem with both is they're tweener forwards. Too small to be really effective PF and not quick enough to guard/play the 3 at a high level. I'd rather have a bonafide 3, or a legit big.

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29

2010 Roster

That bench is quite defensively weak.

I can't remember but was Gomes weak defensivley. Or did he just have a harder time with the bigger PF's? I remember him as a solid rebounder