Author Topic: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's  (Read 18594 times)

Re: Ryan Gomes interested in joining the C's
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I think you show the problem in your potential lineup: we'd have Gomes as our backup PF and BBD as backup C: not a great idea.  And Gomes at the 3 is bad defensively without filling the need of a scorer. 

I'll take him at the minimum, but not more. 

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont get the gomes fascination. Hes another tweener... We dont need three undersized power forward that cant play the position. Gomes isnt a great defender, and he really isnt that great at offense either. Also, he isnt the most athletic player around, somethineg this team desperatley needs. For the vet min and a spot as the 11th man on the roster maybe, other than that i pass.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  

Yes, that'd be great. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I saw this over on the realgm board

It would be awesome if the C's could split the mid level between Brad Miller and Ryan Gomes. Give Miller  2 yrs/6mil  and Gomes a  3 yr/9 mil contract.  

Then try and do a S+T for Anthony Morrow or Trade for Rudy Fernandez with Sheeds contract.

2010 Roster

PG: Rondo / Vet min or Bradley
SG: Ray.    / Morrow ,Fernandez, or Redick ( whoever we can get for sheed)
SF: PP.      / TA or Gomes
Pf:KG.      / Gomes / Harongody
 C: Miller / BBD/ Perk( hopefully back for the last 20 games of the regular season)

That is a very balanced team . They have lock down defenders on the perimiter, they have shooting plenty of experience. That would be the best  possible off-season moves IMO.

I love the hustle gomes plays with

That bench is quite defensively weak.

And there's not nearly enough size. Size killed this team in the Finals, and the only proposal to fix that is to replace Rasheed Wallace with Brad Miller?

I would sign Gomes on a minimum deal, but I wouldn't spend any of our midlevel on him. We just have too many other needs to fill in terms of big men and perimeter scoring.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think you show the problem in your potential lineup: we'd have Gomes as our backup PF and BBD as backup C: not a great idea.  And Gomes at the 3 is bad defensively without filling the need of a scorer. 

Agreed. Not excited at Gomes coming back. For the minimum sure. That's probably his market, anyway.

Frankly - Gomes + Miller for the MLE is underwhelming. Maybe that's the best available talent for our money, but I still think a talent/scoring upgrade is what we're looking for. And neither of these two guys bring much in those areas.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Agreed. Not excited at Gomes coming back. For the minimum sure. That's probably his market, anyway.

Frankly - Gomes + Miller for the MLE is underwhelming. Maybe that's the best available talent for our money, but I still think a talent/scoring upgrade is what we're looking for. And neither of these two guys bring much in those areas.

BBD, Gomes, TA, Bradley and bring back Nate--we'd have to have a special, shorter, smurf-sized bench brought in for our 2nd team in every arena they played in.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

Offline Marqui

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Vet minimum or I'm not interested.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Gomes is too similar to Baby in my opinion.
Given that Gomes is a SF and not a PF, I don't see how they're similar at all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I am only interested in Gomes coming back as a minimum salary or close to it. He is a nice bench player and I like him playing some minutes at the 3, but certainly not the 4.

The bench needs to get longer (taller) not smaller. We need a legit backup at the 2 and 3 that can shoot and spread the floor.

We also need bigs. Perk is out until January at the earliest. I ams till hoping for a trade with GC that nets Biedrens orRandolph or Wright and Azabukie or Morrow.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I am only interested in Gomes coming back as a minimum salary
The bench needs to get longer (taller) not smaller. We need a legit backup at the 2 and 3 that can shoot and spread the floor.
A legit 6'7 SF is small to you?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

Because Gomes plays both positions. You'd pick him up to play him only when Pierce is off the floor? Guess he wouldn't play much.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Because Gomes plays both positions. You'd pick him up to play him only when Pierce is off the floor? Guess he wouldn't play much.
I'll pick him up to play whenever I can, which obviously depends on who the other team is and what they do.

By the way, if there are less than 15 minutes to play behind Pierce next season, we're not moving past round 2 on the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Ryan Gomes is a cereberal player that is undersized to play PF and not quite quick enough to be a starter as a SF. He is fine in a bench/role player type situation. When matched up against longer 6'11" and up PF he struggled and was dominated in the post or just simply shot over, much like Big Baby (or even Leon Powe). Inevitably when playing PF he had to switch onto the Centers defensively and that magnified his lack of length. He is not as tough or strong as Big Baby but a little smarter and quicker.

Together on the floor they would be a significant problem IMO. Just not enough length between them. I like both guys but if choosing, I stick with Big Baby for now.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Everyone here on the forums has their minds locked on this defense stuff... IMO the defense was fine last season- we just can't score when we need it. Gomes would be perfect for this team and his defensive will be just fine. I love this kid. Bring him back.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I fully expect Ray, PP, and KG to not get much more than 30 minutes/game during the regular season, freeing up 18 minutes each night behind each of them. 

BBD can cover for KG plus some minutes at backup C, total 24-28 minutes.

I'm getting the vibe that some sort of guard rotation is high on Ainge's list, so I'm guessing combo guards more than 2/3 backups.

Leaving 18 minutes to back up SF for Gomes, which is probably enough to make it worth signing him if the contract is reasonable.  He's a solid bench player, so he's worth having at a decent value under half the MLE.