Author Topic: Kobe bryant being guarded by Rondo or TA = 42 touches , 1 hoop ?  (Read 7218 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Just heard that awesome stat on weei. That really is a great stat , it seems that Kobe struggles with quicker defensive guards. If Rondo and TA can keep that up when they are asked to guard kobe,(along with PP and Ray) plus the fact that kobe has to work on D against either Rondo or Ray , it is going to be rally tough for kobe to beat the C's like he has to for the Fakers to win a championship.

Does anyone know where you can look up stats like these?

Edit: Found it, TP for bobdelt

In this series, Kobe Bryant is a combined 1-6 FG (four total points) in 54 possessions when guarded by Tony Allen or Rajon Rondo. Bryant had 42 touches in those 54 possessions. In 16 possessions when defended by Rondo in this series Bryant has 14 touches but has not attempted a shot and scored zero points

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100608/daily-dime
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:57:15 AM by rondohondo »

Re: Kobe bryant being guarded by Rondo or TA = 42 touches , 1 hoop
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:40 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Where did you see/hear this stat? That's remarkable if true.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:23:22 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
That's a really fantastic stat. 42:1?!

If only the same could be said about Garnett/Perkins and Gasol  :'(

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Where did you see/hear this stat? That's remarkable if true.

I'm not sure where they got it from, but I heard it on WEEI(boston sports radio) .

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm pretty skeptical of this stat.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
After reviewing the game flow for Game 1, I already found two Kobe field goals when Tony was in the game (one where he was paired with Rondo, once with Nate) so I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Also, of course, the Kobe three pointer at the end of the first half of Game 2 was when he was covered by Tony, and then Rajon picked him up as he went up for his three pointer.

EDIT:  Game 1 total -- six baskets and multiple FTs while Tony was the primary man covering Kobe. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:38:40 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think it was in an article on espn.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I think it was in an article on espn.

If it was, it certainly wasn't referring to Game 1.

Re: Kobe bryant being guarded by Rondo or TA = 42 touches , 1 hoop ?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i actually like rondo on kobe..i think rondo's long arms get under kobe's high dribble and gives him fits..

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
After reviewing the game flow for Game 1, I already found two Kobe field goals when Tony was in the game (one where he was paired with Rondo, once with Nate) so I'm calling shenanigans on this.

Also, of course, the Kobe three pointer at the end of the first half of Game 2 was when he was covered by Tony, and then Rajon picked him up as he went up for his three pointer.

EDIT:  Game 1 total -- six baskets and multiple FTs while Tony was the primary man covering Kobe. 

Well I guess they are talking about TA or Rondo guarding him one on one.  PP could have been guarding kobe for 1 of those 2 hoops he made ( with the other one being the only one where he scored on rondo or TA)

Also you can't really count that Sheldon williams gift wrapped 3 a possesion where he was guarded by TA or Rondo.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
In this series, Kobe Bryant is a combined 1-6 FG (four total points) in 54 possessions when guarded by Tony Allen or Rajon Rondo. Bryant had 42 touches in those 54 possessions. In 16 possessions when defended by Rondo in this series, Bryant has 14 touches but has not attempted a shot and scored zero points.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Well I guess they are talking about TA or Rondo guarding him one on one.  PP could have been guarding kobe for 1 of those 2 hoops he made ( with the other one being the only one where he scored on rondo or TA)

Also you can't really count that Sheldon williams gift wrapped 3 a possesion where he was guarded by TA or Rondo.

I think the stat is probably referring to Game 2, would be my guess.  Kobe shot poorly overall in that game 8-for-20, but he seemed to shoot especially poorly when covered by TA.

I'm not sure if we can draw any conclusions from that, though, because Kobe scored six baskets and got multiple free throws when guarded by Tony in Game 1.

In other words, does Kobe struggle with quicker guards?  Well, he did in Game 2, and didn't in Game 1.  Who knows for Game 3?

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
In this series, Kobe Bryant is a combined 1-6 FG (four total points) in 54 possessions when guarded by Tony Allen or Rajon Rondo. Bryant had 42 touches in those 54 possessions. In 16 possessions when defended by Rondo in this series, Bryant has 14 touches but has not attempted a shot and scored zero points.

I just don't believe that.  What's their definition of "guarded by"?  When Ray is out of the game and Tony is in it, he's covering Kobe, right?  In Game 1, Kobe scored plenty with TA in there.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

I just don't believe that.  What's their definition of "guarded by"?  When Ray is out of the game and Tony is in it, he's covering Kobe, right?  In Game 1, Kobe scored plenty with TA in there.

I dont think they're defining it that way. I'd imagine most transition buckets aren't being counted, and Kobe wasn't "guarded" by anyone. When they're saying "guarded by", I don't think he's just referring to defense assignments, but actual touches by Kobe with a man on him.

Could very well be a flawed stat on how they define his touches too. Are those touches within scoring range? What if he brings up the ball, those shouldn't count.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How many assist?

How many double teams?