Author Topic: JO wants to play HOW many more years?  (Read 12123 times)

Re: JO wants to play HOW many more years?
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Lots of interesting discussion and I think that JO will probably find a way to play 3 or 4 more years.  I think he actually would be a good bench player for a top tier team.  I think he likes to get his touches; be fed the ball.  On a second unit, he would match up against lesser talent and could get plays run for him.  As a starter on a top team, he would need to be the defense/rebounding/put-backs guy and for someone who lists a Nike commercial as one of his top accomplishments, I don't see him embracing that type of role.  If we could dump Rasheed, I wouldn't mind him on the Celtics in the 2nd unit role.  Maybe he could even make another commercial as a side-kick to KG.

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Basically, I think JO is at the same point of his career as KG is.  I think they both have similar amounts of wear and tear on their bodies.

The difference of course is that KG came from a significantly higher peak, and so he is still an above average NBA starter, at this point in his career, while JO is now just an average NBA rotation player.

If I were a contender, I would certainly give him a look as a 15-20 minute per game guy who can still block some shots, and be a decent offensive player.
I don't know about being a decent offensive player, O'Neal has never been all that good even at his peak.

I think he need's to embrace a garbage man in the post attitude to continue to be a positive contributor on a good team. I'm not sure he has the personality to do that.

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Basically, I think JO is at the same point of his career as KG is.  I think they both have similar amounts of wear and tear on their bodies.

The difference of course is that KG came from a significantly higher peak, and so he is still an above average NBA starter, at this point in his career, while JO is now just an average NBA rotation player.

If I were a contender, I would certainly give him a look as a 15-20 minute per game guy who can still block some shots, and be a decent offensive player.
I don't know about being a decent offensive player, O'Neal has never been all that good even at his peak.

I think he need's to embrace a garbage man in the post attitude to continue to be a positive contributor on a good team. I'm not sure he has the personality to do that.

I think it's fair to call JO "decent" -- if not better -- on offense.  He ranked 8th among all centers in terms of points per 48 minutes, and among the top ten scoring centers, he ranked third in FG%.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think it's fair to call JO "decent" -- if not better -- on offense.  He ranked 8th among all centers in terms of points per 48 minutes, and among the top ten scoring centers, he ranked third in FG%.

I'm skeptical because this year was such an outlier of offense efficiency. His career eFG% is .466!