Author Topic: Bill Simmons loves Lebron James  (Read 3846 times)

Bill Simmons loves Lebron James
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is an article from January of 2010 .

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100120&sportCat=nba

Everyone knows Lebron is the best player in the league, but Simmons sounds like he wants to date Lebron. It is so pathetic how much of a Lebron fanboy he is.

The only reason I could see Simmons rooting for the C's VS Lebronze is so that Lebron will join Bill Simmon's beloved LA Clippers as a free agent next year.

Re: Bill Simmons loves Lebron James
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
He loves Durant more.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be
Uh oh, the combination of 2 topics that lead to unadulterated hatred by many on this blog; (Simmons & Lebron)  ::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I love how he says "Lebron James is the most charasmatic athelete of his generation" . I guess charasmatic means acting like a complete arrogant tool almost all the time.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
The only reason I could see Simmons rooting for the C's VS Lebronze is so that Lebron will join Bill Simmon's beloved LA Clippers as a free agent next year.
Even Lebron is not that stupid to join the Clippers.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Simmons loves the Celtics, but he loves the NBA in general.  His book is great.  He has a massive appreciation for the history of the game.   He rightfully realizes that LeBron is historically good.  He gets excited by that.   He's most definitely rooting against him in this series, though.  

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Simmons loves the Celtics, but he loves the NBA in general.  His book is great.  He has a massive appreciation for the history of the game.   He rightfully realizes that LeBron is historically good.  He gets excited by that.   He's most definitely rooting against him in this series, though.  

I respectfully disagree.  Simmons *used* to love the Celtics.  He seems to have real problems with the current front office, though, which spills into his coverage (and affection) for the current team.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I respectfully disagree.  Simmons *used* to love the Celtics.  He seems to have real problems with the current front office, though, which spills into his coverage (and affection) for the current team.

I willing to bet when it comes down to it, all issues aside with the current regime or whatever, he's still a Celtics fan and pulling for a title.  30 years of passion just doesn't go away with some management issues, IMO.

I remember one point in the early 00s, I was utterly disgusted by the Harrington regime and the team implosion going on with the Red Sox.  When it came down to it, though, it wasn't enough to tear me away from the Eosx.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I respectfully disagree.  Simmons *used* to love the Celtics.  He seems to have real problems with the current front office, though, which spills into his coverage (and affection) for the current team.

He bleeds Celtic green.  I think he's frustrated.   Come on... he obviously is rooting for Boston.  But he's just one of those disgruntled fans (there are a lot on this board... I probably qualify as one) who whine and complain and almost exaggerate about how bad the team is.  We hate losing.  We're pessimistic.  It's easier to write off the team and assume they are going to get owned by Dwayne Wade than to blindly root for a bad team and feel the pain of getting beaten.  That way, any victories become a surprising success.    It doesn't really work, though.  Simmons is still going to hate watching the Cavs beat the Celtics no matter how many times he tweets like the series is already over.   It's just a defense mechanism.   And really you can't blame him for hating Sheed.  

Look, I love the Celtics.   I think Glen Davis is a bum.  I think Sheed is useless... and I never understood why we traded for some headcase midget.   Meanwhile, I respect that LeBron is the best player in the NBA and is insanely gifted and fun to watch.  I already admitted I'm rooting for Bron once the Celtics get eliminated (anything other than Kobe).  With all that said... I'm obviously rooting for Boston to pull off an upset.  I am positive Simmons is too.

You can kinda liken it to when we had a 2 man offense and Antoine Walker was jacking up 50 three pointers a night.  A lot of us wanted the Celtics to blow it up and get rid of Walker.   That doesn't mean we weren't rooting for them come playoff time.  We just saw the flaws.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I respectfully disagree.  Simmons *used* to love the Celtics.  He seems to have real problems with the current front office, though, which spills into his coverage (and affection) for the current team.

He bleeds Celtic green.  I think he's frustrated.   Come on... he obviously is rooting for Boston.  But he's just one of those disgruntled fans (there are a lot on this board... I probably qualify as one) who whine and complain and almost exaggerate about how bad the team is.  We hate losing.  We're pessimistic.  It's easier to write off the team and assume they are going to get owned by Dwayne Wade than to blindly root for a bad team and feel the pain of getting beaten.  That way, any victories become a surprising success.    It doesn't really work, though.  Simmons is still going to hate watching the Cavs beat the Celtics no matter how many times he tweets like the series is already over.   It's just a defense mechanism.   And really you can't blame him for hating Sheed.  

Look, I love the Celtics.   I think Glen Davis is a bum.  I think Sheed is useless... and I never understood why we traded for some headcase midget.   Meanwhile, I respect that LeBron is the best player in the NBA and is insanely gifted and fun to watch.  I already admitted I'm rooting for Bron once the Celtics get eliminated (anything other than Kobe).  With all that said... I'm obviously rooting for Boston to pull off an upset.  I am positive Simmons is too.

You can kinda liken it to when we had a 2 man offense and Antoine Walker was jacking up 50 three pointers a night.  A lot of us wanted the Celtics to blow it up and get rid of Walker.   That doesn't mean we weren't rooting for them come playoff time.  We just saw the flaws.

What you just described there is a front running bandwagon fan, which is exactly what Simmons is . He will pull out the reverse jinx sooner or later, but we all know its bs.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

You can kinda liken it to when we had a 2 man offense and Antoine Walker was jacking up 50 three pointers a night.  A lot of us wanted the Celtics to blow it up and get rid of Walker.   That doesn't mean we weren't rooting for them come playoff time.  We just saw the flaws.

What you just described there is a front running bandwagon fan, which is exactly what Simmons is . He will pull out the reverse jinx sooner or later, but we all know its bs.

I wouldn't call that front-running.  Being critical and having limited expectations of your team and then being pleasantly surprised when positive things occur shouldn't be considered "front-running" at all.

To me, its just more of a realist approach.  The way the Celtics played the last 3 months certainly opened themselves to criticism and doubt from many Celtics fans.  If a Celtics fan had limited expectations of this team yet were pleasantly surprised by postive developments, it shouldn't involved being labeled a "front-runner".

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

To me, its just more of a realist approach.  The way the Celtics played the last 3 months certainly opened themselves to criticism and doubt from many Celtics fans.  If a Celtics fan had limited expectations of this team yet were pleasantly surprised by postive developments, it shouldn't involved being labeled a "front-runner".

Is it "realist" to:

1) Not say a positive thing about the team all season;

2) Say continually negative things about the team you purportedly bleed for;

3) Pick the team to lose to their biggest rival in 2008 and to the Cavs in 2009;

4) Say the team has no shot of winning against the Heat; and

5) Not show an ounce of excitement about the Paul Pierce game winner or any other Celtics victory, or even acknowledge the series other than cracks about the front office?

I think labeling Simmons a "realist" does a disservice to a lot of other realistic fans who follow this team through thick and thin.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

To me, its just more of a realist approach.  The way the Celtics played the last 3 months certainly opened themselves to criticism and doubt from many Celtics fans.  If a Celtics fan had limited expectations of this team yet were pleasantly surprised by postive developments, it shouldn't involved being labeled a "front-runner".

Is it "realist" to:

3) Pick the team to lose to their biggest rival in 2008 and to the Cavs in 2009;

5) Not show an ounce of excitement about the Paul Pierce game winner or any other Celtics victory, or even acknowledge the series other than cracks about the front office?

I think labeling Simmons a "realist" does a disservice to a lot of other realistic fans who follow this team through thick and thin.

Agreed 100%

Not giving a championship tested team a shot against a 1man miami team ?

Then when the C's dominate the series he doesn't even twitter anything about it.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:18:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Is it "realist" to:

What do people seriously want him to be? "Johnny Rah-Rah"?  I mean there's different levels of fandom.  If you feel that "realist" isn't the proper term, then we're really just discussing semantics, aren't we?  If the "realists" are peeved at me for using the label, so be it.  They can come after me.

Like I mentioned before, when all is said & done, I still believe the guy is a Celtics fan even if he's not fulfilling the expectations of other Celtics fans.

In regards to the Twitter thing , who cares?  I didn't update my facebook status after the win last night nor made any reference to the Celtics.  Does that destroy my fandom? 

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm pretty down on Simmons these days, but in the 08 Finals Simmons picked the Celtics in 7.   He did however make some throwaway remark about the Lakers being "unstoppable" about a week before that, then later played the reverse jinx card, which is where everyone gets the "he picked against us!" from.