Author Topic: Glen Davis is Clutch  (Read 3635 times)

Glen Davis is Clutch
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think Big Baby is a clutch player.  Doc said as much "he always seems to play well in big games."

I think that is true.  When Baby was a rookie, Doc called on him to defend Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan in the 4th quarter of those games (not Perk or Powe) and he delivered.

Same thing last year in the playoffs... and he delivered.

And again in this year's playoffs.

For all the stumbling around he does during the regular season, he steps up when the chips are on the table.

Good job, Big Baby.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Glen Davis is Clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
For all the stumbling around he does during the regular season, he steps up when the chips are on the table.

He definitely has stepped up his game.  He's a competitor, and I like him in green.  He's not perfect, of course, but for a backup big man, I'll take him!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Agreed - Big Baby catches a lot of flak around here, and much of it is deserved, but the guy can contribute to our team in a lot of ways, and he was big this past series.  He seems to really try to step up when the stakes are high, and is usually successful.

A big man with energy and versatility off the bench is huge for this aging team.  BBD is going to be a major part of the team going forward.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:36:20 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Plus, he makes his foul shots.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
He definetly doesn't shy away during crunch time.  He knows he has skills which most fans have hard time understanding.

Davis Shimmy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Twan Shimmy

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
He is clutch. Im glad we have him.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
Since his first year here with us, I've said that this has been his biggest strength. Not only for big games in general, but usually he's stepped it up in the 4th quarter. It's one of the reasons why I dismissed people last year that complained about him playing in the 4th instead of Powe because of rebounding issues. Davis time and time again has gotten those big rebounds when we needed him.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
He does have a bit of a clutch aspect about him.  I think in general its that he performs best when two things happen:

- There is a sense of urgency in the game and he is playing alongside the starters (therefore enabling him to be a role player)

- He gets consistent minutes.

In the next series I think Perkins will get his minutes back.  Miami doesn't have interior defense, which was one of the reasons Davis looked better than normal.  Perkins' defense will be key in the next series. 

One thing that Davis inherently does well is that when he attacks the hoop he pulls a "Wade".  By that I mean he makes contact that really isn't a foul on the defender, but he flails his arms, misses the shot, and often times falls to the floor.  The result?  Free throws!  Its kind of funny to watch, because his somewhat clumsiness is misinterpreted all the time by the refs as "he's being fouled."  Good to have that on our side lol.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Love him for the 3 mil per.  Would not like it @ 7 mil per.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:00:37 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Love him for the 3 mil per.  Would not like it @ 7 mil per.

How would you feel about 5 mil?

I hope they can keep him as long as he wants to stay.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
He does have a bit of a clutch aspect about him.  I think in general its that he performs best when two things happen:

- There is a sense of urgency in the game and he is playing alongside the starters (therefore enabling him to be a role player)

In the next series I think Perkins will get his minutes back.  Miami doesn't have interior defense, which was one of the reasons Davis looked better than normal.  Perkins' defense will be key in the next series. 

One thing that Davis inherently does well is that when he attacks the hoop he pulls a "Wade".  By that I mean he makes contact that really isn't a foul on the defender, but he flails his arms, misses the shot, and often times falls to the floor.  The result?  Free throws!  Its kind of funny to watch, because his somewhat clumsiness is misinterpreted all the time by the refs as "he's being fouled."  Good to have that on our side lol.

Or it's you that's misinterpreting it.

Guess which one I think it is.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
He does have a bit of a clutch aspect about him.  I think in general its that he performs best when two things happen:

I don't think he's clumsy at all. I don't think I've ever seen a guy that big move his feet so well.  He's very agile and nimble for an almost 300lbs guy.  I don't think it's fair to dismiss his ability to draw fouls by saying that he's somewhat clumsy.  It's called skill.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't think he's clumsy at all. I don't think I've ever seen a guy that big move his feet so well.  He's very agile and nimble for an almost 300lbs guy.  I don't think it's fair to dismiss his ability to draw fouls by saying that he's somewhat clumsy.  It's called skill.

No doubt.  He basically floats around out there. lol 

Why people consistently underrate his athleticism is beyond me.  He's 300 pounds and nearly beats everyone up and down the court. 

TP for link to the Davis Shimmy.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3780
  • Yup
the Davis Shimmy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7jGtRQbT8

I thought for sure they were going to call him for steps on the initial move of that drive.
Yup