Author Topic: HoopsHype Free Agents (Harpring and McCants)  (Read 4390 times)

HoopsHype Free Agents (Harpring and McCants)
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Are Harpring and/or McCants available for help at the wing? (or are they injured)....I'd prefer either to old man Finley

Re: HoopsHype Free Agents (Harpring and McCants)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
McCants is almost as good as Gerald Green. Dont know about Harpring. I'm pretty sure he's washed up though. Last season in Utah was lackluster...well lack anything.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »

Offline marseye

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • gwadada 971
oh yes McCants is good
I represent Guadeloupe n Ain't speak English very well/Xcuse me

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

Are Harpring and/or McCants available for help at the wing? (or are they injured)....I'd prefer either to old man Finley
You can find Harpring on NBA.tv some nights during analysis of games being played that night.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
McCants would be decent in a backup role, probably better than Finley on paper.  Problem is McCants is a world-class prick and doesn't have the talent to back it up.  He didn't so much play himself out of the league as talk his way out of it.

Harpring would be great but is pretty much completely cooked physically.  I think it's literally too painful for him to play even if he could still do it at a high level, which he can't.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
McCants would be decent in a backup role, probably better than Finley on paper.  Problem is McCants is a world-class prick and doesn't have the talent to back it up.  He didn't so much play himself out of the league as talk his way out of it.

Harpring would be great but is pretty much completely cooked physically.  I think it's literally too painful for him to play even if he could still do it at a high level, which he can't.

Well McCants is mouthy, but it would just be par for the course here ... the not making shots part is a bigger issue

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
McCants doesn't know how to play basketball.  He is like Tony Allen, with a better outside shot, but no defense, and he has no idea when to shoot it or not.

Harpring would be nice, but I don't think he has anything left in the tank.  He has been hobbling around for years, and I think it has finally caught up with him.  I think Brian Cardinal may have more left than Harpring at this point.  

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
McCants = chucker with a low basketball IQ.

Harpring = broken down.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
McCants is a very talented player but he'd need a full year's worth of preparation before being a reliable role player. It takes a long time for a strong willed player like him to become a player that gives good effort defensively and plays within his role offensively. There simply isn't enough time for him to learn that this season.

The Celtics should sign him at the end of the season and keep him in town all summer long and use the regular season as a teaching process for McCants. He is a very talented player. Lots of ability. Just needs some discipline + direction.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
McCants is a very talented player but he'd need a full year's worth of preparation before being a reliable role player. It takes a long time for a strong willed player like him to become a player that gives good effort defensively and plays within his role offensively. There simply isn't enough time for him to learn that this season.

The Celtics should sign him at the end of the season and keep him in town all summer long and use the regular season as a teaching process for McCants. He is a very talented player. Lots of ability. Just needs some discipline + direction.

I think that would make some sense.  I think Danny could be looking at several different young guys this offseason, and McCants could be an interesting choice.  But I don't see him helping the team right now.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I used to really like Harpring as a player.  But he has said that he is done.  He "hurts too much" from a lifetime of playing and surgeries (or words to that effect).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I think the FA that could be the best fit is Larry Hughes.  He is on the backside of his prime but not nearly as much as Finley.  He is a veteran so probably easier to integrate short term than McCants.  The issue is the finger.  I have read "a week or two" and "not less then 3 weeks".  If he can be ready in say 2 weeks, I say sign Larry.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I think the FA that could be the best fit is Larry Hughes.  He is on the backside of his prime but not nearly as much as Finley.  He is a veteran so probably easier to integrate short term than McCants.  The issue is the finger.  I have read "a week or two" and "not less then 3 weeks".  If he can be ready in say 2 weeks, I say sign Larry.

Well, the other issue, is that I am not sure we have a big enough role for him.  I am not sure he is better than Daniels, and he may not even be better than Tony Allen, when you take into account the learning curve with the new system.  Since he has much more in the tank than Finley, I think he might be much less likely to be willing to come in as a 5th wing.  Plus, he doesn't really bring enough different skills to be that valuable as the 5th wing. 

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can't stay healthy, can't shoot the ball, can't defend the proverbial chair. Why do we need him again?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Well McCants is mouthy, but it would just be par for the course here ... the not making shots part is a bigger issue

I was at Carolina when McCants was there and knew a lot of folks that crossed paths with him - mouthy is just the beginning of it.  KG, Sheed, Rondo, and Pierce are mouthy.  McCants is more of the "constantly bitter, angry, and jealous, chronically sulking, often hungover, trying to steal your teammates' girlfriends, picking fights in practice almost daily while refusing to listen to any criticism or even attempt to improve your game" type. 

Teams will take any number of chances on talented guys who are just cocky and loud, but you've gotta have world-class ability and then some to get away with McCants' personality.