Author Topic: HoopsHype Free Agents (Harpring and McCants)  (Read 4376 times)

Re: HoopsHype Free Agents (Harpring and McCants)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 01:20:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
I think the FA that could be the best fit is Larry Hughes.  He is on the backside of his prime but not nearly as much as Finley.  He is a veteran so probably easier to integrate short term than McCants.  The issue is the finger.  I have read "a week or two" and "not less then 3 weeks".  If he can be ready in say 2 weeks, I say sign Larry.
Can't stay healthy, can't shoot the ball, can't defend the proverbial chair. Why do we need him again?

I am not suggesting any of these are going to be difference makers but Hughes is 31, Finley 37.  At age 31, Finley averaged 18.6 ppg, this year he so far has averaged 3.7 ppg.

Hughes has averaged 61 games per year over his career, not great but better than Tony Allen who he would likely take minutes from and probably better moving forward than a 37 year old in his 15th season (Finley).

Hughes has never been an especially efficient scorer but he did play a key role on some pretty good defensive teams in Cleveland circa 2005-2008.  I think he could add more to the second unit than Finley albiet he is hurt right now with a broken finger (making the health arguement difficult counter).  Until that is healed, he isn't going to help anyone but a broken finger is a very "healable" injury.  It is not like he is rehabbing a knee.