Author Topic: Summer MLE targets  (Read 13150 times)

Re: Summer MLE targets
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Wow, this summer will be CRAZY!!!
Maybe the offseason will be more interesting that the season itself :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
If we use the MLE next year I doubt it will be solely for one player and I doubt the length of any contracts we give out using the MLE will exceed the 2011-2012 season

So I believe the types of players one would have to sign would be players that would take $2.5-$3 million per year contracts for two years in a make good type of scenario or just that that is their market value

Regarding players we currently have I would expect the following:

Ray Allen given a 2 year deal with the second partially guaranteed with kickers to guarantee it based on performance levels for the first year with a total of $10-14 million for the 2 years

Tony Allen to be given another 2 year contract in the $2.5-$3 million per year area for a total of $5-$6 million

Nate Robinson given a three year deal with a team option on the third year for $16.8 million

Given my criteria for the MLE I would expect the team to make these offers and nothing better

Travis Outlaw - 2 years $7 million
Bobby Simmons - 1 year $2.5 million, maybe less
Dorrel Wright - 2 years $7 million
Rasual Butler - 2 years $8.5 million
Marcus Camby - 1 year $3 million
Rodney Carney - 1 year vet min
Louis Amundson - 2 year $5 million

If they don't sign Nate Robinson then PGs like Steve Blake or Luke Ridnour could become an MLE priority
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
outlaw is the only player on plambs list that interests me.
his athleticism will be even more useful next year as our core ages. he can stretch the floor on O and can guard 3 positions so you can play him with either pierce or allen or even play him at the 4 against small quick power forwards.

injuries have hurt his value but the kid still has a ton of potential. rare that you could sign such a multi talented player for so little.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was under the impression that the MLE can only be used every other year and we used the full amount last year on Sheed, hence we can't use it this summer

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I was under the impression that the MLE can only be used every other year and we used the full amount last year on Sheed, hence we can't use it this summer

That's the bi-annual exception, which we used to sign Marquis. Every team has the MLE to spend every year, unless you're already under the cap.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:46 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
That's the LLE

The LLE is a bi annual exception and was used last year to sign Daniels and so won't be available to us next year

The MLE you get every year as long as you are over the salary cap at the start of the free agency period

You do not get the MLE if you start the free agency period under the capand then make signings that bring you over the cap
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

That's the bi-annual exception, which we used to sign Marquis. Every team has the MLE to spend every year, unless you're already under the cap.
Oooohhhhhh. I thought Quise was just the vet minimum

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney

Oooohhhhhh. I thought Quise was just the vet minimum
He got $1.99 million
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »

Offline Nut from Nh

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think we need an athletic wing who can shoot, defend, is versatile and can even play point-forward.  A guy who comes to mind and is totally forgotten is Josh Childress.  Often in the convo for 6th man of the year the last couple years he was in Atl.

We must resign Nate.  Other than that we are in really bad shape.  Our best hope is to resign Ray and bring back pretty much the same team only everyone will be older.  Older, yik!

We are definitely the Pistons of the last decade.  We won a ring, and noe we are very good, but not good enough, and we have absolutely nothing in terms of up and coming talent.  Perk and Rondo have arrived, I love them, but they need more young legs next to them or the big three will age even faster.  

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Here's my roster for next year if I could do anything

Holdovers

Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Kendrick Perkins
Rajon Rondo
Rasheed Wallace
Glen Davis

Re-signs

Nate Robinson
Tony Allen
Ray Allen

Draft picks(if they are there)

Quincy Pondexter
Greivis Vasquez

Free Agents

Travis Outlaw
Louis Amundson
Devin Brown
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 10:40:08 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
2 more years of Sheed?  I thought he signed a 2 yr contract?

Ray would seem a perfect fit for MLE if he'll take it.

Warrick is a player that always teases but, never plays to his full potential which is why he keeps getting moved.  Sort of like the Clippers as far a team is concerned.  I would pass.

The reason for the contract confusion is because NBA writers are terrible at reporting the REALITIES of contracts. They just report the guaranteed part, and forget the rest.

Sheed signed a 3 year deal with the last year being a player option. so it was reported as a 2 year deal. but is anyone going to offer sheed a 6-7 million dollar contract in 2 years? no, so he's basically guaranteed to take that money.

Same with Pierce continuously being mentioned as a potential FA this offseason. Yeah, if he wanted to give up 20 million dollars of a player option.

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I would rather resign Daniels.  He won't take 2.4 million.  He's a good player and will be offered more elsewhere.

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If things don't work out with Robinson, either by his or play or through his contract demands, a  PG I would really like to target is Steve Blake using the LLE. He's a smart pass first pure PG who plays solid D and can hit the 3. Think he would be a great fit for our team.

Can't really go wrong with re-signing RA, Daniels, Williams and TA and then adding Mike Miller (MLE) and Blake with the cap exceptions.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
How to spend the MLE is about third priority this summer.
(1) Is resign or S&T Ray Allen
(2) Is sign Pierce to a new deal
(3) Is the FA market place; top concerns are probably the status of Nate Robinson, Marquis Daniels, Tony Allen, more or less in that order.  Some or all of the MLE may be taken up on those players.
(4) If the full MLE is still available after that, then the question becomes whether or not the owners want to dip into it again, and if so, by how much.  I would not be shocked if the owners dont want to spend more $$$, and I can't blame them.  This is, afterall, a business.

(5) Assuming they are open to using the full MLE, of the options mentioned, I like Josh Childress the best, and I think this may be the summer to get him since ATL will likely have its hands full trying to deal with the Joe Johnson situation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
How to spend the MLE is about third priority this summer.
(1) Is resign or S&T Ray Allen
(2) Is sign Pierce to a new deal
(3) Is the FA market place; top concerns are probably the status of Nate Robinson, Marquis Daniels, Tony Allen, more or less in that order.  Some or all of the MLE may be taken up on those players.
(4) If the full MLE is still available after that, then the question becomes whether or not the owners want to dip into it again, and if so, by how much.  I would not be shocked if the owners dont want to spend more $$$, and I can't blame them.  This is, afterall, a business.

(5) Assuming they are open to using the full MLE, of the options mentioned, I like Josh Childress the best, and I think this may be the summer to get him since ATL will likely have its hands full trying to deal with the Joe Johnson situation.
2. Only if Pierce wants a new deal, the Celtics have nothing to do with that if he does want to opt out and for the life of me I don't see why he opts out of a $20 million pay year

3. The only person in this list the C's would bother using the MLE on is Daniels and even then I doubt it

Robinson would be offered the non-Larry Bird 120% raise option or $4.8 million a year, Allen would be offered a 10% raise per year because of his Bird rights owned by the team and I doubt the team offers more than a 20% raise for Daniels as well as he just hasn't performed above a $2.5 million a year player status which would necessitate using the MLE on him

4. and 5. Childress is restricted and if the best we can offer him is a reduced MLE(it will be lower than this year) Atlanta would match in a heartbeat

The MLE will be used because otherwise ownership will be looked upon as giving up on the Big Three window so I would expect them spending it on a couple to three guys because of the lack of returning players
Pick 2 Knicks