Author Topic: Celtics (33-18) at Lakers (42-13) 2/18  (Read 108765 times)

Re: Celtics (33-18) at Lakers (42-13) 2/18
« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
Pierce isn't effective at getting to the free throw line anymore for whatever reason. At this point in his career he's becoming a straight jump shooter.

« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:47 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I wouldn't be too surprised if Nate got crunch time minutes over Rondo.

« Reply #647 on: February 19, 2010, 01:33:57 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Complain, complain, complain...

WE BEAT LA

WE BEAT LA

WE BEAT LA

WE BEAT LA

WE BEAT LA

« Reply #648 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:11 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So sick of the Pierce isos, however he was effective in getting to the rim that last play. Tough break for the refs not to make a call on that. I'll take the win...Kobe or not
They didn't run many Pierce Isos.

What's wrong with them running it some though? They run plenty of triple screens for Ray, and posts for KG.
It's not the quantity, it's the timing. They go to them down the stretch, and it doesn't seem to work. There could have been a foul called, sure, but the bottom line is we dribbled for 24 seconds and got a bad shot.

That's pretty much what every team does though.

It stems from coaches not having the nuts to run sets with under a minute left, because lord forbid you get a good look early in the shot clock within your offense.

NBA logic seems to be "rather have an easily defensible iso with a pick at 5 second in the shot clock than run our stuff and leave time on the clock."
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #649 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:02 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sheed and Marquis both got signed for games like this and tonight they both no showed. 

« Reply #650 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:06 AM »

Offline jadams5214

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
And the Pierce isolation ends with another miss.

Has to be the worst offensive display by the Big Three in a 4th quarter since they were put together.  It's hard to fathom that the best players of the Celtics combined for ZERO points in a crucial 4th quarter.  Hard to believe but they all failed miserably, especially KG and Pierce.  Choking down the stretch is painful to watch.  The 2 missed free throws by Pierce almost cost them this game.

Well the Celtics managed to beat a Kobe-less Laker team tonight.  The defense in the 4th quarter was outstanding there is no question.  Of course it helped that Kobe wasn't on the floor which made a huge difference.  

It is nice to win a game like this for once instead of choking it away.  Of course it has to be said that the C's managed to barely hang on against a team missing it's best player.  They scored 11 points in yet another miserable offensive quarter which has become normal in recent weeks.  The C's are just old, tired and worn out by the end of the game.

The BIG THREE choked miserably in the 4th quarter.  Hard to believe these guys couldn't make one basket combined in the last 12 minutes.  Maybe Nate Robinson will make a difference?  The Celtics better hope so because there are no other answers coming to town...

lol, do you always follow something positive with a negative? :P
Its his thing.

Yeah for better or worse it's what I do.  Of course every single thing I typed is true even if it is hard to believe that the Big Three came up with zero points in the 4th quarter.  It really is true!

« Reply #651 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

Offline Celtics31

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
So sick of the Pierce isos, however he was effective in getting to the rim that last play. Tough break for the refs not to make a call on that. I'll take the win...Kobe or not

What's wrong with them running it some though? They run plenty of triple screens for Ray, and posts for KG.

None of which down the stretch. It was all Pierce up top, who isn't a great ball handler to begin with. He has trouble advancing toward the hoop and just keeps his back to the basket killing the clock resulting in a bad offensive possession usually.

Like I said, he was effective on that last play. He got to the hoop and could have easily got the call. That said, Doc needs to realize, it's not working.

« Reply #652 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I'm out. Hopefully Nate proves wrong everyone calling the Celts a loser in the trade wars. Pleasure being with you all tonight and it will be much easier to sleep. Can't wait until tomorrow night's game. I gotta tripleheader tomorrow. Son's freshman game at 5, UMass-Merrimack hockey at 7 and Celts-Blazers at 10:30. WOOHOO.

« Reply #653 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sometimes I wish we had a PG who can shoot. Rondo disappearing act is getting old. Shoot the dam ball
He took 17 shots, you really want him to shoot more than that?

Shoot and make a shot. He disappears in close cause he can't make a shot. 4years and still can't make a midrange J
He took 8 and made 2.

He also took 17 shots. Rondo shot plenty, and he can make shots just not consistently.

« Reply #654 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »

Offline n8thegr8

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3

It's not the quantity, it's the timing. They go to them down the stretch, and it doesn't seem to work. There could have been a foul called, sure, but the bottom line is we dribbled for 24 seconds and got a bad shot.

That's pretty much what every team does though.

It stems from coaches not having the nuts to run sets with under a minute left, because lord forbid you get a good look early in the shot clock within your offense.

NBA logic seems to be "rather have an easily defensible iso with a pick at 5 second in the shot clock than run our stuff and leave time on the clock."

It's what makes sense. Avoid turnover + proper clock usage > potential better shot.

Nate Robinson will solve the problem of scoring on isolations.  

« Reply #655 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:49 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I would, unless he suddenly learns to pass. his assist numbers are atrocious.

Also, i'm not sure you want a 5'9 guy on the floor when you want a strong defensive front.

I'm interested to see what nate brings, but not in seeing him close out games over rondo, if for no other reason than the huge defensive liability it creates for the other team to attack with a pick and roll out of an iso.

I hate when teams do that and get a wing on rondo, never mind nate :/
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #656 on: February 19, 2010, 01:37:32 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
And the Pierce isolation ends with another miss.

Has to be the worst offensive display by the Big Three in a 4th quarter since they were put together.  It's hard to fathom that the best players of the Celtics combined for ZERO points in a crucial 4th quarter.  Hard to believe but they all failed miserably, especially KG and Pierce.  Choking down the stretch is painful to watch.  The 2 missed free throws by Pierce almost cost them this game.

Well the Celtics managed to beat a Kobe-less Laker team tonight.  The defense in the 4th quarter was outstanding there is no question.  Of course it helped that Kobe wasn't on the floor which made a huge difference.  

It is nice to win a game like this for once instead of choking it away.  Of course it has to be said that the C's managed to barely hang on against a team missing it's best player.  They scored 11 points in yet another miserable offensive quarter which has become normal in recent weeks.  The C's are just old, tired and worn out by the end of the game.

The BIG THREE choked miserably in the 4th quarter.  Hard to believe these guys couldn't make one basket combined in the last 12 minutes.  Maybe Nate Robinson will make a difference?  The Celtics better hope so because there are no other answers coming to town...

lol, do you always follow something positive with a negative? :P
Its his thing.

Yeah for better or worse it's what I do.  Of course every single thing I typed is true even if it is hard to believe that the Big Three came up with zero points in the 4th quarter.  It really is true!

You know what, this team showed PASSION tonight - something that's been seriously lacking. We played hard the whole way through and we won. So yea, I'm happy with the win and that's what I'm focusing on tonight.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #657 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Kenny Smith standing up for us bigtime right now.  Good work, Jet.

« Reply #658 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Believe in Boston

Why , because he had 1 bad shooting game?? Let's not get crazy, Nate's even more erratic than rondo by far, like being a knucklehead ect.........
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #659 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

The Pierce iso might be the worst play in the NBA right now. He is so slow he usually cannot beat anyone.
Its not, its actually one of the Celtics best plays.

Not against good teams.  With Rondo controlling the ball the C's got the two go-ahead buckets (a missed lay-up that led to Perk's dunk and Rajon's bucket) as well as several makeable looks (Rajon's airball and KG's 2 or 3 missed but open Js).  With Pierce we got several shots that had no chance without a foul being called.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri