Author Topic: Who NOW are our natural trading partners for Ray, and what can we get?  (Read 6202 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
It seems that entering this trading period a few weeks ago, there were two types of teams who would be natural trading partners with us for Ray: those who wanted to shed salary for purely financial reasons/and or blowing it up (we hoped Philly, Sac, GS, Kings,Wash) and those who wanted to make a huge splash in Free Agency . Well it seems that the former type of teams (except for those dopes in DC who gave away our most desired piece in Caron) decided that they want young talent in addition to the financial relief. We don't have it to offer, so they are out. That leaves the FA splashers: Knicks and Bulls. One is going to get TMac, the other isn't. THAT team is our trading partner with whom we have some leverage. Now, what can we get from them?

Knicks: They badly want to get rid of Curry or Jeffries contracts, so they can be big players in FA. While resigned to the fact that no one will be dumb enough to bite on Curry, Jeffries contract (length and $$) and defensive skillset makes swallowing his contract far more palatable, especially when combined with some young talent (Chandler or Gallinari)  to go with it. E.g. RA and Scals for Jeffries, Harrington and Chandler http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5474726 with a separate deal for Nate benefits both sides. Knicks get cap space they need and we get Chandler for the future with two rent-a-vets in Harrington and Nate as well as Jeffries defense.

Bulls: Again, if they don't get Tmac, Ray and the cap space he provides is very desirable to them. A trade of Ray and Scals for Hinrich, Salmons and Ty Thomas works as does Deng/Hinrich.

We need to get something for Ray to help us both this year and into the future. The knicks trade for Chandler gives us a piece for the future as does the Chicago Deng trade. The other Bulls trade at least keeps us a strong contender for as long as we are stuck with the shell of KG.

Re: Who NOW are our natural trading partners for Ray, and what can we get?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i dont think we have any. i dont think ray is going anywhere

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I didn't see your thread before I submitted mine, but I was thinking exactly the same thing about whichever of Chicago or NY that doesn't get TMac's contract would then look to us for Ray's and I'm hoping to somehow come away with Deng from all this.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The three natural partners are Philly, Golden State and Charlotte, all of which need to cut payroll.

But deals with those teams are not possible unless the Celtics are willing to take on payroll.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The three natural partners are Philly, Golden State and Charlotte, all of which need to cut payroll.

But deals with those teams are not possible unless the Celtics are willing to take on payroll.

That's a given and I think ownership has weighed in on it already (about not caring about the money).  So in that respect the only reason the deal wouldn't be made is if DA didn't think it helped or those teams pass.  And it's certainly not going to be some made concept that has no factual basis behind it.  Unless you have some factual basis behind your assertions.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker

That's a given and I think ownership has weighed in on it already (about not caring about the money).  So in that respect the only reason the deal wouldn't be made is if DA didn't think it helped or those teams pass.  And it's certainly not going to be some made concept that has no factual basis behind it.  Unless you have some factual basis behind your assertions.

I did not make any assertions.  I simply stated a condition.  I have no idea what Celtics management is willing to do, but if the past is any indication, they can be awfully cheap, as in the matter of Powe, Leon.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

There is a difference between being willing to pay the price for a championship level team, and "not caring about the money".  Wyc has been incredibly clear that he has not handcuffed Danny, and is willing to pay for the right pieces, but he also will not throw money around like it is no object. 

Now, no one knows for sure where the line is, however, Wyc has made it incredibly clear that there is a line he will not cross with the money, so it needs to be taken into account.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:16:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The Celtics have not said they don't care about the money. In fact they floated via the Globe a week or two ago that they woulnd;t take on any bad contracts to get a player in exchange for Allen.

Now, it's subjective of course. But I think you overestimate their willingness to take on future salary.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

The Celtics have not said they don't care about the money. In fact they floated via the Globe a week or two ago that they woulnd;t take on any bad contracts to get a player in exchange for Allen.

Now, it's subjective of course. But I think you overestimate their willingness to take on future salary.

I'm not overestimating anything they said they would take on money if it made BB sense.  So can someone provide me something to the contrary?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

I did not make any assertions.  I simply stated a condition.  I have no idea what Celtics management is willing to do, but if the past is any indication, they can be awfully cheap, as in the matter of Powe, Leon.

Leon Powe didn't get resigned because of money. Also my response to you had more to do with your other comments on the salary cap situation. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

There is a difference between being willing to pay the price for a championship level team, and "not caring about the money".  Wyc has been incredibly clear that he has not handcuffed Danny, and is willing to pay for the right pieces, but he also will not throw money around like it is no object. 

Now, no one knows for sure where the line is, however, Wyc has made it incredibly clear that there is a line he will not cross with the money, so it needs to be taken into account.

My post may have not read that way but, that's was the point.  If Boston and DA thinks it helps they'll make the move obviously they won't take on salary if they don't think it will help.. obviously.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
I don't think anyone can prdict what will happen if they make a Ray Allen trade.

But we can predict with relative certainty what will happen if they do not make a trade.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

My post may have not read that way but, that's was the point.  If Boston and DA thinks it helps they'll make the move obviously they won't take on salary if they don't think it will help.. obviously.

You may think its obvious, but I guarantee you there are plenty of people out there who think the C's are willing to take on any salary just to try to get more talent.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The Celtics main problem is that Ray by himself will not yield much.  Teams that ae looking for a pure salary dump have role players with huge contracts that they would like to move (Troy Murphy comes to mind).  The problem is Boston needs a better player than that (let's use Kevin Martin as an example), but is missing the young talent that they would need to add to the trade

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
No, if the Celtics are taking the financial hit, it's the other team that needs to give young talent.