Author Topic: Spurs trying to trade Antonio McDyess for Ty Thomas  (Read 5726 times)

Spurs trying to trade Antonio McDyess for Ty Thomas
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/spurs-look-to-trade-mcdyess-get-thomas.php

The Spurs have been searching for expiring deals to move McDyess, who will make $4.9 million next season and is guaranteed about $2.6 million in 2011- 12. Trading McDyess would free minutes and give them greater flexibility to re- sign Thomas this summer if they want. Thomas would give the Spurs a younger, more athletic complement to Tim Duncan, and could be part of a uture frontline with former first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) and rookie DeJuan Blair The Spurs are shopping Roger Mason, who is in the final season of his contract with the help of Mason's agent. In addition to Mason, they have a number of other expiring contracts - Michael Finley, Matt Bonner, Ian Mahinmi among them - to possibly offer the Bulls. them - to possibly offer the Bulls

If San Antonio lands Thomas for expiring contracts or in a 3 way where they send McDyess That would be a steal. The C's should be all over this if they could do something similar with BBD (who is younger, cheaper . And has 1 less year on his contract) for Ty Thomas .

Bos sends : TA , Scal, BBD, house + filler

Chi sends : Hinrich + Thomas

Re: Spurs trying to trade Antonio McDyess for Ty Thomas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
That'd be a solid relatively low-risk move for San Antonio.  They get athleticism and more youth in the front-court. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I agree...if we could get Hinrich + Ty Thomas for expirings, and our attempts to trade Ray for a younger star fall short, we should go for it.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
So much for people who wanted to take McDyess over Sheed in the summer, uh? :P

Sheed has been disappointing so far but he is still too valuable for us in the playoffs, while the Spurs are willing to ship Dice away... surprising though because he looked like a great pickup.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Landing Hinrich and Ty for Ray makes me want to vomit.

Landing Hinrich and Ty for our useless crap makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

Even though Hinrich is a bum, Ty's potential is still a little intriguing.  He would be a rich man's Leon Powe.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm just trying to think what the incentive is on Chicago's end in this trade?

McDyess isn't an expiring contract and will be on the books next year when Chicago is clearly looking to free up salary.

Chicago's goal right now should be to tie Thomas to either Salmons or Hinrich and get expirings back.  Not taking on salary in the form of McDyess.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I'm just trying to think what the incentive is on Chicago's end in this trade?

McDyess isn't an expiring contract and will be on the books next year when Chicago is clearly looking to free up salary.

Chicago's goal right now should be to tie Thomas to either Salmons or Hinrich and get expirings back.  Not taking on salary in the form of McDyess.

Yea I think it would have to be at least Hinrich or Salmons and Ty Thomas. That's why I think the C's would have a better chance we can offer expirings(besides ray) + BBD which is a better package.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:17:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
San Antonio should be willing to part with two first round draft picks + expiring contracts to land Tyrus Thomas.

Tyrus Thomas would instantly make San Antonio a serious threat in the West and long term he'll be an excellent young player to keep and develop.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:26:56 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I disagree. I'm not a fan of these tweener players. Even though I think he will excel in SA, I just don't see him making THAT big of an impact. I like Blair much better
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think Tyrus Thomas makes San Antonio an elite defensive team again. He's the type of mobile + shot blocking big that Tim Duncan needs at this stage of his career.

Richard Jefferson and Keith Bogans is a strong defensive combination on the wings. Manu Ginobili behind them. George Hill is a very talented defensive guard.

Tyrus Thomas would be the glue guy, defensively, that makes everything click.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:51:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Tyrus Thomas makes San Antonio an elite defensive team again. He's the type of mobile + shot blocking big that Tim Duncan needs at this stage of his career.

Richard Jefferson and Keith Bogans is a strong defensive combination on the wings. Manu Ginobili behind them. George Hill is a very talented defensive guard.

Tyrus Thomas would be the glue guy, defensively, that makes everything click.

Plus, he adds front court depth. 

In the Western Conference with the likes of the Lakers & Nuggets, its huge to have some athleticism & depth in the front court. 

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
To put a different spin on this rumor, would you want Ainge to jump in as the third team with expiring contracts of Scal and Giddens, to help get this deal done?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yhttlaq

McDyess would be a terrific rebounding upgrade over Davis, and has played alongside Wallace in Detroit for years. They'd make a very effective frontcourt tandem off the bench for us.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
To put a different spin on this rumor, would you want Ainge to jump in as the third team with expiring contracts of Scal and Giddens, to help get this deal done?

McDyess would be a terrific rebounding upgrade over Davis, and has played alongside Wallace in Detroit for years. They'd make a very effective frontcourt tandem off the bench for us.
I would love to see that happen. Very good idea.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I would love to see that happen. Very good idea.

Sounds good to me.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »

Offline ajgoodman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • 'Cause there ain't no fours!

This sounds like a great plan. It would also make it a lot easier to part ways with Big Baby for a back-up point guard. Smart thinking.