Author Topic: Knicks/Rockets Deal Not as Close as Reported? (Updated & Merged)  (Read 11222 times)

Knicks/Rockets Deal Not as Close as Reported? (Updated & Merged)
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Knicks and Rockets have made progress on a proposed trade that would send Jordan Hill, Jared Jeffries and either Al Harrington or Larry Hughes in exchange for Tracy McGrady, Joey Dorsey and Brian Cook.

Yahoo! Sports reports that "an agreement is within reach" and that the two teams are "increasingly confident" that the trade will get done.

In a part of the deal described as "fluid," the Knicks might swap 2011 picks with the Rockets and/or send their 2012 pick to Houston.

The deal would give the Rockets young talent in exchange for McGrady, a player no longer in the team's plans, while the Knicks obtain McGrady and clear approximately $7 million more of salary cap room for their summer free-agent pursuits.

RealGM Note: The Knicks will have enough to offer one maximum contract and with the removal of Jeffries' from the team's payroll, could have an additional $15 million or more to spend. Shedding Jeffries could therefore mean that the Knicks could be closing in on enough cap room to offer two maximum contracts even with the expected decline in the salary cap.

good deal for NY I think McGrady will be able to get most of his game back.

Now if they sign Lebron or Wade that will be a pretty good combo( if McGrady is healthy)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:15:52 PM by Donoghus »

Re: Knicks, Rockets Nearing Deal That Includes Jeffries, Hill
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
What a waste of a lottery pick.

A two month rental of McGrady for a non-playoff team. Great return.

Edit: Sorry, Jeffries is included. He wasn't in the report I saw earlier today. Excellent trade for NY. It's worth losing that lottery pick for another $9.5 million worth of cap space this summer.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Color me a little skeptical. Seems like the Rockets could expose the Knicks desire to shed salary a little more.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
this is a dumb deal for both sides.

i don't understand why houston can't make this work with tracy mcgrady.  but to hand him over to NY for that pile of dung makes no sense.  sometimes i think my 10 year old could run a team better than half of these nba GM's...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I have the Knicks salaries at $21.6 million so they have between $30-32 million in cap space. Not quite enough for two max contracts ($33.14 million needed).

If they could get Eddy Curry to give up $2 million in a buyout and a high cap figure, they would be able to make it work.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
What a waste of a lottery pick.

A two month rental of McGrady for a non-playoff team. Great return.

Edit: Sorry, Jeffries is included. He wasn't in the report I saw earlier today. Excellent trade for NY. It's worth losing that lottery pick for another $9.5 million worth of cap space this summer.

Agreed.

There is going some serious pressure on that organzation to get something done with at least one of the key players in this year's free agency class, though.

Can you imagine what happens in NYC if they swing and miss on Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. after clearing all this space.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
What they should do is move Harrington for another set of expiring contracts + draft picks.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Wow, I guess Daryl Morey must really like Jordan Hill.  Or else he thinks the Knicks' 2011 pick is going to be high.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Nah, it's starting to sink in now and I'm not buying it.

The Rockets aren't giving up their cap flexibility for Jordan Hill. He isn't good enough for them to sacrifice that large of an opportunity.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

The Rockets aren't giving up their cap flexibility for Jordan Hill. He isn't good enough for them to sacrifice that large of an opportunity.

That's what I'm thinking, too.  But you never know with Daryl Morey.  He'll do something that seems totally nonsensical but turns out to be really smart in the long run (which he of course knew all along).  Maybe there's a star in Jordan Hill (or if not a star, a very good, efficient player) that nobody but Morey and his numbers can see.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Unless they've decided that there aren't any desirable stars on the market and that Jordan Hill's potential + futute NY draft picks are better than letting McGrady leave for nothing.

The Knicks team is a real mess though.  Who are they going to attract with those max contracts?  I can't see Bron, Wade, Bosh wasting their prime years there, or settling for less to sign together.

They'll end up throwing the max at Amare and then overpaying for Camby and Felton, making the playoffs as a 6th-8th seed and then sinking back into the lottery with no picks.  
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Knicks are going nowhere fast, no doubt about that.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
at first glance without really researching it much I'd say it's a win for both sides.

McGrady is worthless these days.  He's just an expiring contract.  Jordan Hill hasn't done crap so far, but he was the 8th pick this year.  Basically they would get the 8th pick for taking on Jeffries salary.  

Knicks probably get more out of dumping Jeffries salary than they do taking on McGrady.  This isn't a talent move.  This is a financial move.  They need to desperately dump more cap space so they can attack the 2010 free agent market.  I said at the beginning of the year that they best chance they had of dumping Curry or Jeffries would be to package one or both of them with Jordan Hill or Gallinari.   This makes perfect sense to me.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
 ::)
ahh if only the knicks had isiah to work out these deals........ :-*

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
at first glance without really researching it much I'd say it's a win for both sides.

McGrady is worthless these days.  He's just an expiring contract.  Jordan Hill hasn't done crap so far, but he was the 8th pick this year.  Basically they would get the 8th pick for taking on Jeffries salary.  

Knicks probably get more out of dumping Jeffries salary than they do taking on McGrady.  This isn't a talent move.  This is a financial move.  They need to desperately dump more cap space so they can attack the 2010 free agent market.  I said at the beginning of the year that they best chance they had of dumping Curry or Jeffries would be to package one or both of them with Jordan Hill or Gallinari.   This makes perfect sense to me.

True, the Knicks would be lucky to be able to move Jeffries or Curry while only having to give up Hill and not Gallinari.

- Doc Rivers