Author Topic: #17 or Durant?  (Read 23756 times)

Re: #17 or Durant?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
how about if we kept Jeff Green and drafted Brandon Roy instead of trading that pick for Theo Ratliff and Telfair

PG: Rondo
SG: Roy     / Delonte
SF: PP      / Gomes
PF: Big AL  / Jeff Green
 C: Perk

That's a pretty good team too.

It's definitely a good team, but I think PP would have demanded a trade. 

Also, I don't think Danny would have taken Roy.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Others may not agree with me, but this is my opinion:

The 2007-08 Celtics season was the greatest single season any NBA fanbase has ever had.  When you look at where we were at the end of the 07 season, and where we wound up just a year later, nothing like it has ever happened before or since. 

The greatest franchise in league history, at perhaps its lowest point, somehow pulls off a series of major gambles that ALL WORKED, and turns the second-worst team in the league with a #5 pick into the greatest turnaround in league history, a redemption of the careers of the Big 3, glimpses of a budding star (Rondo) and a longtime project finally coming into his own (Perk), one of the greatest Game 7 duels of all time where our captain outplays one of the two best players in the league, and tops it all off with a historic beatdown over a (then) ridiculously overhyped Lakers team and a Finals MVP for our long-maligned superstar, who only had to outduel the OTHER best player in the league to do it. 

If it had been the plot of a movie we'd've mocked it as ridiculous.  Celtics 131, Lakers 92, Paul Pierce named Finals MVP is the sort of scenario I'd've doodled in my notebook in 3rd grade.  And it happened. 

That season was like a giant Christmas present we got to unwrap over the course of 11 months.  I wouldn't trade it for anything save the survival of the franchise itself.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
See you can throw all the "what-ifs" you want, when you're taking the title side of the debate, its short & simple.   8)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be

The 2007-08 Celtics season was the greatest single season any NBA fanbase has ever had.  When you look at where we were at the end of the 07 season, and where we wound up just a year later, nothing like it has ever happened before or since. 

The greatest franchise in league history, at perhaps its lowest point, somehow pulls off a series of major gambles that ALL WORKED, and turns the second-worst team in the league with a #5 pick into the greatest turnaround in league history, a redemption of the careers of the Big 3, glimpses of a budding star (Rondo) and a longtime project finally coming into his own (Perk), one of the greatest Game 7 duels of all time where our captain outplays one of the two best players in the league, and tops it all off by a historic beatdown over a (then) ridiculously overhyped Lakers team and a Finals MVP for our long-maligned superstar, who only had to outduel the OTHER best player in the league to do it. 

If it had been the plot of a movie we'd've mocked it as ridiculous.  Celtics 131, Lakers 92, Paul Pierce named Finals MVP is the sort of scenario I'd've doodled in my notebook in 3rd grade.  And it happened. 

That season was like a giant Christmas present we got to unwrap over the course of 11 months.  I wouldn't trade it for anything save the survival of the franchise itself.

Well said.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

The greatest franchise in league history, at perhaps its lowest point, somehow pulls off a series of major gambles that ALL WORKED, and turns the second-worst team in the league with a #5 pick into the greatest turnaround in league history, a redemption of the careers of the Big 3, glimpses of a budding star (Rondo) and a longtime project finally coming into his own (Perk), one of the greatest Game 7 duels of all time where our captain outplays one of the two best players in the league, and tops it all off by a historic beatdown over a (then) ridiculously overhyped Lakers team and a Finals MVP for our long-maligned superstar, who only had to outduel the OTHER best player in the league to do it. 

TP

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The greatest franchise in league history, at perhaps its lowest point, somehow pulls off a series of major gambles that ALL WORKED, and turns the second-worst team in the league with a #5 pick into the greatest turnaround in league history, a redemption of the careers of the Big 3, glimpses of a budding star (Rondo) and a longtime project finally coming into his own (Perk), one of the greatest Game 7 duels of all time where our captain outplays one of the two best players in the league, and tops it all off with a historic beatdown over a (then) ridiculously overhyped Lakers team and a Finals MVP for our long-maligned superstar, who only had to outduel the OTHER best player in the league to do it. 

TP.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

HOF worthy post.  I would give you 100000 TPs if I could.  These things will be forgotten if they don't win another one and they end up rebuilding.  Which will of course lead to more what if scenarios.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

HOF worthy post.  I would give you 100000 TPs if I could.  These things will be forgotten if they don't win another one and they end up rebuilding.  Which will of course lead to more what if scenarios.

True.  I think of Miami trading for Shaq and getting one title, then rebuilding.  Would Pat Riley trade the title?  Would Wade give up his ring?  I don't think so.

What would Barkley do to have won a ring?  Malone?  Ewing?

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Post of the year!!

TP.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would not trade the smack down we laid upon the Fakers in the 2008 NBA Finals for anything.

This is the right answer.

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I've considered the what if scenarios a few times just wondering if Danny could have played his cards differently to give us a bigger window of opportunity but this post puts any of those considerations to shame.  TP for you.

(I'm still greedy for more titles though)

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

dig how this was written by "fairweatherfan"  8) punto de tommy portigo
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
So who decided to write the obituary on this season already?

I swear everyone is sitting around, wearing black, and listening to "How Great Thou Red"...

Lot's of basketball left, folks.  We get healthy and Danny may or may not make a move...grab a possible waiver-wire pickup and we could be well on our way.

But I don't like all this "what if" crap already...we're very much alive in this thing!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

One of the best posts I have seen...TP!!!!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'd take the title, and it is not even a close call for me.
Celtics fan for life.