Author Topic: #17 or Durant?  (Read 23751 times)

Re: #17 or Durant?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
I don't know how anyone would consider giving up seeing Sasha Vujacic crying in the bench after he got destroyed by Ray Allen. Or giving up Paul Pierce leaving the floor on a wheel chair, just to return to bury the Lakers? Or how would anyone give up one of the greatest (if not the greatest) comebacks in Finals history? Or how can anyone consider giving up saying goodnight to Zaza? Or how would anyone consider giving up the blowout we gave the freaking Fakers in Boston to win the Championship?

I'm besides myself.

I would not give it back ... I guess the question is about the Faustian bargain, a potential 16 month window that we cashed in on versus a potential 10 year one that might not have been guaranteed.

The 2008 season was something I would never trade away.  We knew we had to face this sooner or later.  And it was the only viable path to take once we knew that Durant was off the table.

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I don't know how anyone would consider giving up seeing Sasha Vujacic crying in the bench after he got destroyed by Ray Allen. Or giving up Paul Pierce leaving the floor on a wheel chair, just to return to bury the Lakers? Or how would anyone give up one of the greatest (if not the greatest) comebacks in Finals history? Or how can anyone consider giving up saying goodnight to Zaza? Or how would anyone consider giving up the blowout we gave the freaking Fakers in Boston to win the Championship?

I'm besides myself.

Because some of us are old enough to remember other championships that were even more satisfying, such as 1969, when Jack Kent Cooke had the balloons ready to drop and the champagne on ice.

We also remember the thrill of multiple championships-- of having a dynasty instead of a one shot wonder.

Hi-five for old people.

no chest bumping...that could put us in the hospital.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2010, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
As much as I enjoyed #17, I think if we got a top two pick I would not have thought twice about keeping it and shipping PP out of town for an expiring and a young player.  Rondo, Durant, & Big Al would have made a great core.  Big Al is a great second option, Durant is the best scorer in the league. 

Team wouldn't have played a lick of defense, but they would be fun to watch.

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 12:36:24 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'm besides myself.

I am with you Budweiser! I wouldn't trade the 07/08 season for ANYTHING in the world. I don't care if that includes Kevin Durant being able to do cartwheels while dunking the ball. Number #17 will forever live in my memory as the best Boston sports moment I've witnessed in my lifetime.

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2010, 12:41:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'm besides myself.

Because some of us are old enough to remember other championships that were even more satisfying, such as 1969, when Jack Kent Cooke had the balloons ready to drop and the champagne on ice.

We also remember the thrill of multiple championships-- of having a dynasty instead of a one shot wonder.

Yeah no offense, but I don't think you make a valid point at all. What I take from what you say is that because we probably won't win the next 3 of 5 championships that the 07/08 banner is meaningless.

First off times have changed. I understand older fans love nostalgia but in today's day in age, a dynasty is that much more difficult to near impossible.

Secondly, since when did winning one (gasp) championship become so meaningless?

Third, there is NOWHERE NEAR A GUARANTEE we would've had a so-called dynasty if we were currently fielding a team of Durant, Jefferson, Gomes, Delonte, and whoever else.

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2010, 01:13:38 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, the current big three had a 3 year window.  That window is now closing (if not closed already), so where do the Celtics go from here?

Had different choices been made, the window would just now be opening and it would be a 7-8 year window.  Plus we'd still have that extra first round pick from MN.

I suppose you can say that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.  But I hope those fond memories from 2007-2008 will tide you through the upcoming lean years-- because make no mistake, they're going to be lean years after 2011, especially if Ainge hangs on to his older players hoping for a miracle, as the Celtics did after 1988.

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
But I hope those fond memories from 2007-2008 will tide you through the upcoming lean years-- because make no mistake, they're going to be lean years after 2011, especially if Ainge hangs on to his older players hoping for a miracle, as the Celtics did after 1988.

I'll take one championship, three years of prime contention, and probably a couple years of mediocrity followed by rebuilding over three years of rebuilding, followed by seven years of playoff basketball.

Also, the thought that all will be lost once the big three move on is, in my eyes, misguided.  If Danny plays his cards right, we'll have Rondo plus a ton of cap space to reload with once the big three move on.  There are worse foundations to begin with, although there is no doubt in my mind that there will be a couple of lean years in the not-distant future.

There's no guarantee that any of Brandon Roy, Jeff Green, or Kevin Durant ever lead their teams to a championship.  All of them are fun to watch, but plenty of stars have never earned a ring.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The 1988 comparison is already getting old.  Not very comparable IMO since their best player won't be retiring anytime soon.  But Brickowski I have feeling if the right deal is there for Ray you won't be disappointed.  It has to be the right deal though because to be honest if they have to keep him they can win it with the current roster and let him expire this summer.  The only move I want Danny making is one that helps the future while not sacrificing too much this year.  Like an Ellis which is probably wishful thinking.

Also the revisionism in this thread is astounding.  Wouldn't take the 2007.. lol yeah right.  Not that I actually believe it in the least to be honest.

I would rather lose with Paul and KG so they can just retire as C's.  I think DA agrees.  So I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:56:10 PM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
As much as I love Durant, I'm not giving up #17.  No if, ands, or buts about it.

That ride was too much fun.  Too many good memories, many of which I was fortunate enough to attend in person.

Remember, it had been 22 looong years since we won a title.  

Durant guarantees nothing.

Couldnt have said it better, TP
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2010, 02:19:22 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I wouldn't have drafted Durant with #2.  I would have taken Al Horford. I love blue collar players like Horford.

In 2006 I would have taken Brandon Roy, obviously.  Hard to say where the Celtics would have picked in 2008, maybe around 20, so let's speculate on Courtney Lee. Or, I might have tried to trade down to get George Hill plus another player. I might get Hibbert, but I already have enough beef.  I want another shooter.

So I've got Roy, Horford and Lee.  Plus I've still got Pierce, Jefferson, Perkins, Rondo, Delonte West, Ryan Gomes, Tony Allen and Leon Powe.  Maybe I can still get BBD too, in the second round.

That would certainly be a playoff team now, and would be a team on the rise.

Starters are Rondo, Roy, Pierce, Jefferson and Horford.
Bench is West, Lee, TA, Gomes (or BBD or Powe) and Perkins.

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
But I hope those fond memories from 2007-2008 will tide you through the upcoming lean years-- because make no mistake, they're going to be lean years after 2011, especially if Ainge hangs on to his older players hoping for a miracle, as the Celtics did after 1988.

I'll take one championship, three years of prime contention, and probably a couple years of mediocrity followed by rebuilding over three years of rebuilding, followed by seven years of playoff basketball.

Also, the thought that all will be lost once the big three move on is, in my eyes, misguided.  If Danny plays his cards right, we'll have Rondo plus a ton of cap space to reload with once the big three move on.  There are worse foundations to begin with, although there is no doubt in my mind that there will be a couple of lean years in the not-distant future.

There's no guarantee that any of Brandon Roy, Jeff Green, or Kevin Durant ever lead their teams to a championship.  All of them are fun to watch, but plenty of stars have never earned a ring.

Ah Brandon Roy.  We could have knew ye well.....
Celtics gave up what 7th pick for Theo Ratlif and Sebastian Telfair?  Ah yes and got rid of Raef Lafrentz.....

Ah Brandon Roy, we would have called you Brando and you would have played with Rondo and we would have nicknamed you the "O" Brothers.......

now that was an Ainge mistake, indeed.
And don't get me started on how me passed on Rudy Gay, for a guy named Foye,,,,,who yes was traded for a boy named Roy.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Ah Brandon Roy.  We could have knew ye well.....
Celtics gave up what 7th pick for Theo Ratlif and Sebastian Telfair?  Ah yes and got rid of Raef Lafrentz.....

Ah Brandon Roy, we would have called you Brando and you would have played with Rondo and we would have nicknamed you the "O" Brothers.......

now that was an Ainge mistake, indeed.
And don't get me started on how me passed on Rudy Gay, for a guy named Foye,,,,,who yes was traded for a boy named Roy.

Well, it's not necessarily that simple.  If we'd drafted Roy, would Wyc have paid to keep Big Al and the rest of the young guys together?  Could we have traded for KG?  Would that have included Big Al *and* Roy (assuming we had to include Raef's longer contract?)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Well, the current big three had a 3 year window.  That window is now closing (if not closed already), so where do the Celtics go from here?

Had different choices been made, the window would just now be opening and it would be a 7-8 year window.  Plus we'd still have that extra first round pick from MN.

I suppose you can say that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.  But I hope those fond memories from 2007-2008 will tide you through the upcoming lean years-- because make no mistake, they're going to be lean years after 2011, especially if Ainge hangs on to his older players hoping for a miracle, as the Celtics did after 1988.

Those years were lean in no small part due to the deaths of Bias and Lewis. And blame Red for hanging on to his big three and hoping for a miracle, but the reality is that without them there was no hope of a miracle. Unless he had plans to trade them for someone like Jordan or Hakeem there weren't going to be any titles in the 90s no matter what he did.

« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
And blame Red for hanging on to his big three and hoping for a miracle, but the reality is that without them there was no hope of a miracle.

That's the thing that's lost in Danny's "Red held onto his stars too long" theory.  What else was out there?  Could this team have been a championship contender by moving Larry and/or McHale?  I don't think it could have been.  All that trading the Big Three would have done was extended our window of mediocrity, while shipping two lifelong Celtics and fan favorites out of town.

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Considering none of the youngster we could have kept or drafted have not led any of their teams past the first round of the playoffs, I sincerely doubt the premise that we could have had a championship window that was significantly longer.

I mean, would we (and the ownership) have had the patience to wait for Durant et al to develop?

Don't get me wrong, Durant is a very nice player. But Bill Simmons vastly overrates him (in no small part because he wants to toot his own horn on the durant/oden debate). He is certainly not going to single handedly make a team into a dynasty candidate. And even if he developed nicely, we could always end up on the "denver" category: favored to make it to the conference finals, but never beyond it.

Especially with the possibility that next year you could have a wade/bosh or a lebron/bosh playing somewhere.