Author Topic: Josh Howard  (Read 5978 times)

Josh Howard
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If Dallas declines their option on him next summer to be a player in the 2003 draft class, would you be in favor of using the MLE on him?

I have no idea how to make a poll.

Re: Josh Howard
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Yes, if he was available for the MLE. Good risk. High risk but good risk.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:07 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Yes, if he was available for the MLE. Good risk. High risk but good risk.

And if Marquis loses his mind and for some reason signs for the minimum again, our bench is suddenly absurdly deep.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, Dallas won't be a player in the FA market, because they won't have cap space next season...but they still could decline his option, as he has had some issues.  My guess is he won't be on Dallas at the end of the year though.  I have a feeling he will be traded.

But whoever has him at the end of the year, if they make him a FA, I would go hard after him with the MLE, because he would be a GREAT pickup.  

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Well, Dallas won't be a player in the FA market, because they won't have cap space next season...but they still could decline his option, as he has had some issues.  My guess is he won't be on Dallas at the end of the year though.  I have a feeling he will be traded.

But whoever has him at the end of the year, if they make him a FA, I would go hard after him with the MLE, because he would be a GREAT pickup.  

They can clear 20+ off their cap if they decline Howard and Dampier.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

But they still can't get under the cap, I do believe.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Not according to todays Daily Dime.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Wait are you saying the Mavs would have cap room, or would not?

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think Dampier's last year is guaranteed.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I haven't read the daily dime but I presume it's talking about Dirk opting out of his contract and leaving the club.

Otherwise, they do not have cap space.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I think Dampier's last year is guaranteed.

Nope team option.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Dirk - $21.5 million
Terry - $9.87 million
Kidd - $8.5 million
Marion - $7.3 million
Carroll - $4.3 million
Beaubois + Buckner - $2.26 million

Seven players for a total of $53.73 million + cap holds for empty roster spots equals $56.1 million.

Also have a non-guaranteed contract for Barea ($1.8 million) as well as the team option on Howard ($11.85 million) and non-guaranteed contract for Dampier ($13.1 million). Plus Najera's partially-guaranteed contract ($3mil, $500k guaranteed)

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

The Mavs, by declining those two options, have enough cap space to run a sign and trade.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

The Mavs, by declining those two options, have enough cap space to run a sign and trade.

If the mavs declined every option they had, they'd still be right at or just above the salary cap (52-53 Million)

If Dirk declined his option they'd be exactly that amount below it..but why is Dirk walking away from 100 billion Franks?

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

If the mavs declined every option they had, they'd still be right at or just above the salary cap (52-53 Million)

If Dirk declined his option they'd be exactly that amount below it..but why is Dirk walking away from 100 billion Franks?

For that you'd have to ask ESPN.