Author Topic: Josh Howard  (Read 5979 times)

Re: Josh Howard
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Absolutely.  He'd be a great addition, but wouldn't Howard command more money then the MLE?
do it

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just read the daily dime.

It specifically states the Mavs will NOT have cap space.

Edit: This is a terribly confusing and unrealistic article. Here's what it says: NOT insider:)

(Dallas cannot get far enough under the cap to make a max offer to a major free agent. Aside from the $47 million committed to Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Kidd and Shawn Marion, Quinton Ross has a $1.1 million player option for next season, and Matt Carroll has a cap-clogging $4.3 million salary for 2010-11, then two more seasons after that at $3.9 million and $3.5 million.)

So the Mavs will be ready to play ball with any team that stands to lose a max-level free agent (look no further than Toronto, where Texas-raised Chris Bosh resides tenuously), and Howard, Gooden, Barea and Singleton all are nice pieces.

And given the profound difference, demonstrated Sunday, between what the Mavericks and the Knicks have on their respective rosters, this MSG matinee mauling illustrated the relative positions of strength and weakness with which each team will enter the summer. Much of the focus around the NBA through the first half of the season has been on the cap space the Knicks, Heat and Nets have accumulated for the summer of 2010 for the likes of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Bosh and others, and the space Chicago is expected to create for this summer's free-agent bonanza. Nobody speaks about the Mavs much, but they will have the resources to go after Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Rudy Gay, David Lee or others if they hang on to Dampier and Howard through the trade deadline and then decline to pick up both players' 2010-11 options.

So the Mavs could be a major sign-and-trade player in 2010 free agency -- if they stand relatively pat at the trading deadline. They're wrestling with the options, having already registered interest in Sacramento's Kevin Martin; and they are believed to be tracking the availability of Washington's Caron Butler and Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala. The problem with any trade-deadline move is that the Mavs would have to use Josh Howard for any of those guys and thus would take themselves out of the Bosh/LeBron/et al. sweepstakes.

Basically, Dallas has as much chance as any other over the cap team at 2010 free agency.

Essentially, whomever wrote this thinks Dallas is so awesome that a free agent would request to be signed and traded to Dallas and that such a team would be happy to get a re-signed Josh Howard, Gooden, Barea, and Singleton in return.

The only "resources" Dallas has is their willingness to go way over the cap.

Essentially, they are in the same boat as the Celtics in terms of possibilities, except I believe the Celtics have more picks to offer (didn't Dallas give theirs to get Kidd?) but that Howard is probably a little more wanted in a signand trade trade than Allen (thoug Howard is only 3 years younger).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:41:42 PM by Fan from VT »

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Absolutely.  He'd be a great addition, but wouldn't Howard command more money then the MLE?
Josh Howard is playing terrible basketball.

12.2 points per game on 38% shooting from the field + 26% shooting from three. Only 3.5rpg in 27 minutes a night. 1.7 assists. Solid defense though. Add in all the injuries ...

It's a stretch but it just might happen. If he keeps going along this path it'll definitely happen.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

It says, however, that theoretically the mavs could pickup the options of Howard and Dampier, then use them in a sign and trade this summer.

This seems ridiculous as this implies a team like toronto would willingly help Bosh ditch them for a year of Dampier and Howard

That was my fault, I read it too fast.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

It says, however, that theoretically the mavs could pickup the options of Howard and Dampier, then use them in a sign and trade this summer.

This seems ridiculous as this implies a team like toronto would willingly help Bosh ditch them for a year of Dampier and Howard

That was my fault, I read it too fast.

Not totally your fault. Every home-town writer thinks that their team would be the most appealing free agent destination and thinks that they have the enticing pieces to get these guys, so there's lots of articles thrown around.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, Dallas won't be a player in the FA market, because they won't have cap space next season...but they still could decline his option, as he has had some issues.  My guess is he won't be on Dallas at the end of the year though.  I have a feeling he will be traded.

But whoever has him at the end of the year, if they make him a FA, I would go hard after him with the MLE, because he would be a GREAT pickup.  

They can clear 20+ off their cap if they decline Howard and Dampier.

But they still can't get under the cap, I do believe.

Not according to todays Daily Dime.

Wait are you saying the Mavs would have cap room, or would not?

The Mavs, by declining those two options, have enough cap space to run a sign and trade.

If the mavs declined every option they had, they'd still be right at or just above the salary cap (52-53 Million)

If Dirk declined his option they'd be exactly that amount below it..but why is Dirk walking away from 100 billion Franks?

For that you'd have to ask ESPN.

And the lesson here is: Don't trust any media report when it comes to the NBA CBA, since it has become clear that 90+ % of the sports media have no clue what is going on with the NBA cap.