Author Topic: D-Leaguer hits Game Winner Against Cleveland  (Read 2477 times)

D-Leaguer hits Game Winner Against Cleveland
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:34 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Did anybody see this?

My friend and I were flipping channels the other day and there was this bit on ESPN about the D-League and they showed some kid talking to his coach, who was congratulating him on getting called up to the NBA. 
"Congratulations, good luck, and we hope to never see you again!" the coach said, as if the player were being released from rehab or a mental hospital. 
I said to my friend, "They celebrate now, but this guy probably won't even step on the floor." 
"Yeah," my friend said, "But he'll still get the chance to practice with them.  Where's he going to?  Utah?  He'll get to defend Deron Williams in practice.  That's pretty cool."

Then I turn on the Utah / Cleveland game tonight and who hits the game winning shot?  Sundiata Gaines from the D-league, the kid I had written off as never-going-to-play.  Against Cleveland, no less - my least favorite team.  As soon as I saw it happened I called my friend up.  He picked up after a few rings and said "Did you see that?"

Yes.  Yes I did, and it was awesome.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: D-Leaguer hits Game Winner Against Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It was a nice shot..even better since it knocked the Cavs down a notch.

And Utah wore Green ;D. That's really what did CLE in last night.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Great finish!!! I'm glad I stuck it out as I almost shut it off in disgust with the Cavs up 6 with .32 secs left. Nice to see some other team besides us get sucked out at the buzzer!!!  ;D

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
That's so cool. I am really happy for him.
What a great feeling for that kid!

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:03:44 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I saw the highlights. Indeed, LeBron's steps from the free-throw lines to the 3 point lines were just OBVIOUS... but the refs didn't whistle and James hit the three.

The shot from the D-Leaguer was beautiful, it was a tough, contested one, which adds to the difficulty!

I guess he will get a contract for the rest of the season now. :P Funny story, and a beautiful one, especially since it happened against the Cavs.

PS : the last minutes of the game showed once again that even when LeBron does everything humanly possible to win the game (and even more) his teammates still fail him. Here, at the free-throw line, two times by Parker and Ilgauskas who are however very good free-throw shooters. I hope Cleveland goes into the playoffs with its current roster.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I turned the game off after LeBron hit the second three, I'm p---ed I missed it!

Crazy ending Utah choked the game away hard by missing a ton of free throws and giving up that offensive board. They got bailed out.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
It was a nice shot..even better since it knocked the Cavs down a notch.

And Utah wore Green ;D. That's really what did CLE in last night.

That's the second time Utah beat Cleveland and both times they were wearing green! lol

I said at the time that the reason Utah beat Cleveland was because they wore their green jerseys. lol  I guess Utah remembered that and wore them again. ;D

Cleveland is afraid of The Green!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Very strange game. First, Utah had the game, and they gave it away. Then, Cleveland had they have, and they gave it away. I'm happy for the kid though, Gaines.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 321
  • The Truth
I was surprised that a call-up just a couple weeks ago got to play in that situation, down by two, usually your starters are out there maybe minus a center plus shooter.
Nice shot
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
I watched this Sundiata kid in the Utah vs Miami game, just days after he was called up, and I tell you: this kid can play. He seemed tough and talented, pretty sure about himself, even if he only had a few NBA practices in him.

I wonder if we could had got something similar from Lester Hudson.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:28:16 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I watched this Sundiata kid in the Utah vs Miami game, just days after he was called up, and I tell you: this kid can play. He seemed tough and talented, pretty sure about himself, even if he only had a few NBA practices in him.

tp...good point,c'mon Danny get with the program.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

tp...good point,c'mon Danny get with the program.
One good game does not make a player productive, let Lester show something similar before we get on Danny about it.

Besides in your scenario Rondo would be in the locker room. Lets not think that way.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Sundiata Gaines>Mo Williams