Author Topic: What NBA Rule Changes Would You Make?  (Read 3126 times)

What NBA Rule Changes Would You Make?
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
A lot of people on the board seem pretty discontented with the way the modern NBA game is run.  So I'm curious as to what rule changes others would make, if they had the power to do so.  I don't mean things like "Fire all the refs!" or "Call things consistently!"  I mean actual changes to the rulebook.  Here's mine:

- Widen the court by 1 foot on each side.  The corner 3 is one of the most effective weapons in the game, except that most players have to walk a tightrope to keep their feet inbounds while they're doing it.  A slight expansion of the court opens up a lot of space and makes offenses more fluid and diverse.  Don't see a downside to this move.

- This is just my OCD side, but this has always bothered me:  About 10-15 years ago, after a defensive foul, kicked ball, etc, the shot clock was reset only to 14, rather than all the way back to 24.  Great move, no problem with that.  But the reason 14 was chosen was that it was the original 24 minus the 10 seconds allowed to cross halfcourt.  But a couple of years later halfcourt violations became after 8 seconds.  So shouldn't the clock now reset to 16?  Just seems inconsistent to me.

Re: What NBA Rule Changes Would You Make?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Allow any defensive scheme including a complete zone and double teaming an offensive player when they do not have the ball.

Eliminate the charge/block line around the basket.

Bring back the one and one free throw rule.  Make one to get another. 

Officially change the traveling rule back to what it was before this year and ENFORCE IT.  This enforcement part is key to anything.  The rules of the game are pretty good as is but the enforcement is what's lacking.  Take the game back to the days where palming, double-dribbling and traveling were called and you'd see a cleaner, more teamwork-oriented game.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I'd like the NBDL to be used as a testing ground before any changes are brought into the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd like the NBDL to be used as a testing ground before any changes are brought into the NBA.
They already do this don't they?

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
No idea -- but now that you say it, it does sound right.

I'd like to see them do it with the widening of the court (excellent idea) + after that trial, possibly raising the rim (interesting idea).

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No idea -- but now that you say it, it does sound right.

I'd like to see them do it with the widening of the court (excellent idea) + after that trial, possibly raising the rim (interesting idea).
They tried it for a few rules and some all-star game stuff.

The widened court won't happen as the remodels would be expensive and they'd lose valuable close in seats that go for a premium. I'd like to see how it'd change the flow of the game. The rim is fine where it is in my opinion.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
ESPN had an article on the raised rim experiment awhile back that was interesting

But the goal for Newell was to examine how the game was different with the taller rims. Was there more passing and spacing? Was teamwork at more of a premium and less of a focus on individual play? Was a challenge presented to the players, all of which had some college experience, and could they adapt?

The answer seemed to be a resounding yes.

"They represented the game fundamentally as best as I could have expected," Newell said

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2906707

Many players didn't seem to have much trouble with jump shots. Finding the right angle for bank shots was initially trickier, though that, too, seemed to come quickly during practice. Players banked seven straight during one early drill.

The biggest difference will be in the type of shots attempted.

"It's going to take away the super-athletic player who just runs and dunks over you," said Brandon Burmeister, one of two former UW players expected to participate. "It's going to put more of a focus on rebounding and passing and fundamentals. And there's not going to be as much settling for quick, long shots."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003747066_elevenfoot14.html

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Too many to list.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline 17iscoming

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I feel like making my reply a thread all on its own cuz I feel so strongly - but I think intential fouls in the last 2 minutes of a game should be illegal.  2 shots and the ball.  Play defense and get the ball back.  Don't make everyone watch a free throw shooting content.  My 2 cents.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Anyone is allowed to kick Kobe in the sack anytime they please.

A closeline to anyone wearing horn rimmed glasses during a game is worth 10 pts.

The LA Lakers can only claim 10 championships or they will be fined as an organization.

If you dance during a game, your opponent is allowed at least one cheap shot to your head, neck or chest area (yes, I'm looking at you LeCrab).

Dance teams are not allowed...period.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I feel like making my reply a thread all on its own cuz I feel so strongly - but I think intential fouls in the last 2 minutes of a game should be illegal.  2 shots and the ball.  Play defense and get the ball back.  Don't make everyone watch a free throw shooting content.  My 2 cents.
I see where you are coming from, but I disagree.  This would essentially take away a ton of the strategy coaches have to consider such as who is in the game during this time, who can give a foul in case you go into overtime, etc.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

This isn't possible.  So if you're down by 2 with 23 seconds left, you've lost the game.  There's nothing you can do about it?  Also it be impossible to judge a foul, instead of them just wrapping guys up, you would just see people slapping at people.

The rule I would change would be defensive 3 seconds, I would get rid if it entirely.  So many rules in the NBA are made just so it's easier for the offense to score and that's one of them.  You can not effectively play help defense in a man to man with that rule.  
do it

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Replace the commissioner every 5-10 seasons with a fresh one.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

Offline Mogreen17

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
On a softer note. Perhaps mandatory handshakes with the opposition at the end of a game. You can never over exaggerate just how many young athletes look up to NBA players.

This act of sportsmanship at the top level will infiltrate down to the playground.