Poll

What changes, if any, should be made to the TP system on Celticsblog?

TPs should be eliminated;
4 (3.7%)
Negative TPs should be brought back;
7 (6.4%)
Threads related to TPs should be locked;
6 (5.5%)
Only mods should be allowed to give TPs;
3 (2.8%)
Members should only be allowed to give each member 1 TP per 24 hours;
8 (7.3%)
Members should be allowed to give more TPs than they do now;
3 (2.8%)
Everyone's TPs should be reset
4 (3.7%)
There's nothing wrong with the TP system
20 (18.3%)
I don't care
27 (24.8%)
Anybody caught boosting their own TP count should be suspended
12 (11%)
Members should be allowed to "bet" their TPs
9 (8.3%)
Members should be allowed to "sell" / "trade" their TPs for charitable contributions, etc.
6 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Tommy Points and Celticsblog  (Read 36641 times)

Tommy Points and Celticsblog
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Okay, guys, we're asking you all for some feedback.  It has come to our attention that several members are concerned about the integrity of Tommy Points.  It seems that there are allegations of members boosting their own TPs, and there is evidence that certain friend groups or "cliques" are boosting the TPs of their members on a repeated basis.  This has led to some behind-the-scenes griping and a lot of unhappy posters.

The first thing I'd add is:  if you're boosting your own TPs, or if you're in a "clique" for purposes of boosting the TP count of yourself and others, please stop.  It's sad and pathetic.  This isn't meant to be a competition.

Second:  for those concerned about TPs and your place on the TP leaderboard, I'd ask that people please try to have some perspective, and not get worked up about them.  We're having members threaten to leave the blog over TP-related issues, and I'd ask that people chill a little.  There have been lots of posts that have tied the feel of the community to TPs, and people have expressed that TPs can both bring the community together and drive it apart.  I genuinely hope that we, as a community, are strong enough that TPs are irrelevant in terms of how you feel about your fellow posters, and Celticsblog as a whole.

Third, the staff invites your feedback.  What, if anything, should be done about this?  We have some ideas on this, but before implementing anything, we'd at least like to hear from folks.

Please, let us know what you think.  We'd like to get some legitimate feedback here, and I hope folks will be as candid as possible.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Tommy Points and Celticsblog
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'll just say that I honestly don't care.

The TP's are great when done in the right spirit and they can seem quite meaningless when it's obvious that some "boosting" is going on.  But really, what does it really matter?  I came here to talk C's and have found this site to be a lot more.  I'd be cool with whatever.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
. . . and they can seem quite meaningless when it's obvious that some "boosting" is going on. 

Don't tell that to Rebekka.  :(

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
. . . and they can seem quite meaningless when it's obvious that some "boosting" is going on. 

Don't tell that to Rebekka.  :(
Oh, is that the robot?  I heard about that.   ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Haha.  It's blind polling, guys.  *Somebody* has to care, because we receive a lot of PMs about this type of stuff.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
There definitely seems to be a point of contention regarding Tommy Points with some posters. 

People need to realize that its not a competitition and to not get worked up about TP counts. Do people really use their tommy point count as an ego boost? The inflation is pretty petty also, IMO. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
There definitely seems to be a point of contention regarding Tommy Points with some posters. 

People need to realize that its not a competitition and to not get worked up about TP counts. Do people really use their tommy point count as an ego boost? The inflation is pretty petty also, IMO. 
What he said.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Okay, guys, we're asking you all for some feedback.  It has come to our attention that several members are concerned about the integrity of Tommy Points.  It seems that there are allegations of members boosting their own TPs, and there is evidence that certain friend groups or "cliques" are boosting the TPs of their members on a repeated basis.  This has led to some behind-the-scenes griping and a lot of unhappy posters.

The first thing I'd add is:  if you're boosting your own TPs, or if you're in a "clique" for purposes of boosting the TP count of yourself and others, please stop.  It's sad and pathetic.  This isn't meant to be a competition.

Second:  for those concerned about TPs and your place on the TP leaderboard, I'd ask that people please try to have some perspective, and not get worked up about them.  We're having members threaten to leave the blog over TP-related issues, and I'd ask that people chill a little.  There have been lots of posts that have tied the feel of the community to TPs, and people have expressed that TPs can both bring the community together and drive it apart.  I genuinely hope that we, as a community, are strong enough that TPs are irrelevant in terms of how you feel about your fellow posters, and Celticsblog as a whole.

Third, the staff invites your feedback.  What, if anything, should be done about this?  We have some ideas on this, but before implementing anything, we'd at least like to hear from folks.

Please, let us know what you think.  We'd like to get some legitimate feedback here, and I hope folks will be as candid as possible.

Through much strategic planning and hard work I've been able to acrue well over 300 tommy points in the last three years. I know, I know, you're all jealous. Anyways, I'm willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the board. The next time someone complains about not having enough tommy points you have my permission to give them some of mine.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Through much strategic planning and hard work I've been able to acrue well over 300 tommy points in the last three years. I know, I know, you're all jealous. Anyways, I'm willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the board. The next time someone complains about not having enough tommy points you have my permission to give them some of mine.

Haha.  Very generous offer.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I added three more options, based on suggestions made by other posters.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it should be 1 TP per 24 hrs, and the movoement between them should be very fluid. Betting/selling/etc.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I voted "I don't care" and I'm honestly surprised that people take TP's that seriously - and seriously enough to consider leaving the blog! -.

TP's can be given in different ways. For the most part it's done in a good mood, to "congratulate" someone or "reward" him for a good post, thread, joke or whatever.

Since some members have more TP's than other I guess it can leads to some kind of jealousy but frankly I'm surprised that's the case. TP's are given in good mood, they enlighten the spirit of community on CB in my opinion.

I tend to give TP's easily but I' don't make much of the ones I give or the ones I receive - it's always fun to receive and to give TP's after a Celtics win in the game thread but it's not really something major.

So I voted "I don't care" because I wouldn't be disappointed or shocked if TP's were removed from CB, although I think it makes CB kind of unique in a way. I think people overreact to something that was designed at first - and is still used that way - to enhance the good mood and links between the members.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I think it should be 1 TP per 24 hrs, and the movoement between them should be very fluid. Betting/selling/etc.

I like this "selling" idea.  How much do folks want to offer me for mine? ;)

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i say, who ever are the ones to complain about it to the mods, or if it is the mods themselves......speak your mind here, rather than do it privately. 

i say keep it the same.  if it is decided to not keep it the same, my second choice is to eliminate them and stop the drama/complaining.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
i say, who ever are the ones to complain about it to the mods, or if it is the mods themselves......speak your mind here, rather than do it privately. 

That's why we started the post, so that everyone will speak up publicly and the community can debate this.  That being said, sometimes people don't like going against popular opinion and/or don't want to be seen as the source of public drama.